FM3 Integration w/Onsong MIDI via WIDI

Lance Holland

Inspired
I'm just not getting this. I have set up the FM3 to channel 16. I don't know if there are other settings on the FM3 that need to be set. I plugged the WIDI master in (and updated the firmware). The iPad is connected to the WIDI Master.
What I want to do is change presets when I change songs on OnSong. I'm not sure how to tell OnSong how to send the the proper messages.

There is one parameters on the WIDI app - I've set it to Auto (to all BLE MIDI devices).

In OnSong, I've created a program change for the song - also set it to channel 16 and tried various programs values and banks and click "test command". Nothing seems to happen on the FM3. Is there a video or link someone can point me to?

Thanks!

You might need an intermediary app like MIDImittr. That's what I have to use. I use the same exact setup. Feel free to pick my brain about this.

You might need an intermediary app like MIDImittr. That's what I have to use. I use the same exact setup. Feel free to pick my brain about this.
^^This. I have a little spreadsheet (Apple Numbers) that converts the Fractal Preset and Scene numbers into the PC and CC messages you need OnSong to send.

Boom! The MIDImittr app did the trick!!! I didn't need to change anything else. I'm switching program now.

I think I see the pattern with the patches. Onsong Bank MSB controls the bank (from the manual p.115) and program controls offset in the list. Does Bank LSB do anything?

If I want to go to a specific scene, I would add a second change? (not a PC but a CC?)

You can leave Bank LSB alone. For Scenes, you need to assign a CC# in Setup (I use #100). Then send that CC# followed by a Value of 0-7 (corresponding to Scenes 1-8).

In OnSong, my MIDI commands look like this. You may not need the Delay. The FM9 certainly does or else the CC is ignored.

Attachments

• 8146C1DD-A036-4654-A378-19BDDBE49878.jpeg
    8146C1DD-A036-4654-A378-19BDDBE49878.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 20
Really? That's not ideal. Has that been reported in the FM9 beta thread? That sounds like a PITA...
I did. Now that I know about it, I can deal with it. The Helix was the same which is how I knew to try a Delay when the Scene changes didn't work . . .

Boom! The MIDImittr app did the trick!!! I didn't need to change anything else. I'm switching program now.

I think I see the pattern with the patches. Onsong Bank MSB controls the bank (from the manual p.115) and program controls offset in the list. Does Bank LSB do anything?

If I want to go to a specific scene, I would add a second change? (not a PC but a CC?)
Question: what manual are you talking about?

Also, I've read that it's possible to send the exact tempo to using MSB and LSB, but I can't remember exactly how to do it, nor am I certain it works with Fractal gear.

And yes, as Knaggster said to change scenes. I have my Scene change set up to be CC#34 (can't remember why exactly...). I recommend keeping a spreadsheet where you keep track of all the CCs you set up. You won't use many, likely, but you'll want to know which ones you ARE using. I started using my Behringer FCB1010 with my Axe Fx III so I had a ton of MIDI assignments. These days, I mainly just use preset changes, scene changes, toggle certain blocks on/off, and adjust the shift parameter in the Virtual Capo for my downtuned presets. You can do a LOT with MIDI in the FM3. As such, I now use all per-preset FC assignments and often don't need more than one or two switches per song. It's so handy :)

You can send Tempo with a Sysex command from OnSong. This website calculator will tell you what the hex sequence is: http://www.kamilkisiel.net/axefx_tempo.html
Oh man. That's gonna take me a thousand years to look up and program all those digits into each song... But it'll be worth it in the end when I tell my drummer he's playing to fast and all I'll have to to do is turn the knob of the metronome up and be like, "SEE??!!?! SEEE?!?!?!?!" ...so satisfying...

Oh man. That's gonna take me a thousand years to look up and program all those digits into each song... But it'll be worth it in the end when I tell my drummer he's playing to fast and all I'll have to to do is turn the knob of the metronome up and be like, "SEE??!!?! SEEE?!?!?!?!" ...so satisfying...
Nah. Copy and paste right in.

I use the same set up, works great so far.

Does anyone know if I can change the scene view via midi? For example I have it triggered to the correct preset and scene now but it’s still on the first view with the first 3 scenes.

I’ll keep poking around the menus to see if I find the parameter.

EDIT: I meant FC layout not FC view.

I use the same set up, works great so far.

Does anyone know if I can change the scene view via midi? For example I have it triggered to the correct preset and scene now but it’s still on the first view with the first 3 scenes.

I’ll keep poking around the menus to see if I find the parameter.
Yes. Assign a CC# to Scenes in Setup > Midi. Then send that CC# followed by a Value of 0-7 corresponding to Scenes 1-8.

Yes. Assign a CC# to Scenes in Setup > Midi. Then send that CC# followed by a Value of 0-7 corresponding to Scenes 1-8.
Thanks! I have that set up already based on your post earlier. I was seeing if I get MIDI to trigger the view (or layout I’m still new to the FM3) essentially i have the preset and scene change triggered but I’m still on the first view. I’d like to be able to automate the view change so the FC shows Scenes 4-6 instead of showing 1-3.

Thanks! I have that set up already based on your post earlier. I was seeing if I get MIDI to trigger the view (or layout I’m still new to the FM3) essentially i have the preset and scene change triggered but I’m still on the first view. I’d like to be able to automate the view change so the FC shows Scenes 4-6 instead of showing 1-3.
Ahh. Gotcha. Not sure that can be controlled over midi.

Bumping this thread.

At home - this rig is working perfectly. At the rehearsal space the last two times, I've been unable to connect from the iPad to either the Airturn pedal or the WIDI Master. I'm really losing confidence that this is a viable gigging option. We tried turning off other WIFI devices and that didn't seem to help. I had the iPad on a music stand..but when I picked it up and put it next to the FM3...still no connection.

Back
Top Bottom