FM3 - Horrible Noise when changing scenes - Question on how to prevent it

SpudMan

Inspired
Periodically, and today for that matter, when I am in a Preset, and I change from one scene to another, the new scene causes a very loud and horrible noise. It is due to the new scene having more blocks enabled than the previous scene. As a result, given the volume set on my guitar, I get a terrible nose which I always worry will mess up my FRFR speaker.
Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent this other than making sure no Preset has these types of differences between scenes? I am guessing this doesn't or hasn't happened on the Presets Fractal provides so perhaps I just need to adjust or delete the user created Preset?

I have a lot of presets with scenes that go from simple amp, cab to full effects. I do not get any big noise when switching scenes. There has to be something else causing this issue, other then bypassed state of blocks.

I have to pay more attention going forward. I can't say for sure but I am fairly certain it has happened with more than one Preset. It has only happened probably 3 or 4 times in a year, but when it does I worry about my ears and the FRFR.
Any thoughts on other things to look at for the root cause if it isn't the Preset itself?

I don't know if this was addressed in the recent firmware, but I would sometimes hear the delay buffer "clear" itself when switching channels. In other words, I had played something that went through the delay at some point, and upon switching delay channels and engaging the delay I could hear that old sound come back, but run through the current delay channel's overall mix level and feedback level. Are you perhaps switching the delay channels?

and of course, post the preset if possible.

I don't know if this was addressed in the recent firmware, but I would sometimes hear the delay buffer "clear" itself when switching channels. In other words, I had played something that went through the delay at some point, and upon switching delay channels and engaging the delay I could hear that old sound come back, but run through the current delay channel's overall mix level and feedback level. Are you perhaps switching the delay channels?

and of course, post the preset if possible.
I will look into that tomorrow. Not sure but I do think there is delay in the preset.

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I said, when I am able to get to my FM3 tomorrow I will post the preset.

Jose Ferrer GIF

I have experienced the same thing with all my presets. I am making changes via MIDI and it does it occasionally. Really hard to capture because it is so random and not constantly reoccurring. Yes, its sounds like a spillover buffer, or delay buffer clearing. My first thought was that it may be a compressor spike as I had that happen in the Kemper.

I’ve had a few of these out of control volume events. One I recall was running a loop and auditioning cabs and changing scenes and it went ape shit on me. Can’t recall any details on the others. So now I try to stay below 75% cpu on my worst scene and I don’t do a lot of things in rapid succession. So far so good. Yeah it will scare the crap out of you and definitely hard on the ears and speakers. I’ve read about other people experiencing this over the last few years. No one has been able to duplicate it and you wouldn’t want to do it anyhow. It’s maximum output noise and the output level does nothing to control it. You might contact FAS support and ask about it. If they know about it post it here.

Most often, this is due to "unusual" settings in your preset.

For example, in the first preset, amp level is at -12 dB and Scene level is at +0.
In a new scene, the amp level is set to -32dB and the scene level is set to +20 db.
Even a small spillover can create a loud burst in a case like this.

If you can find a case where it is reproducible, you can study it to figure out what's happening.

I have experienced the same thing with all my presets. I am making changes via MIDI and it does it occasionally. Really hard to capture because it is so random and not constantly reoccurring. Yes, its sounds like a spillover buffer, or delay buffer clearing. My first thought was that it may be a compressor spike as I had that happen in the Kemper.
Indeed, it is totally random. It hasn't happened much, but when it does it really hurts my ears, and after my FRFR never sounds right for the rest of the session. It doesn't seem to cause permanent damage to either, but it is annoying for sure.

Most often, this is due to "unusual" settings in your preset.

For example, in the first preset, amp level is at -12 dB and Scene level is at +0.
In a new scene, the amp level is set to -32dB and the scene level is set to +20 db.
Even a small spillover can create a loud burst in a case like this.

If you can find a case where it is reproducible, you can study it to figure out what's happening.
THIS! Happen to me before a few times early on until I realized what it was.

Back
Top Bottom