FM3 FW 6 beta 6 Recto Amp Question

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I finally got a chance to A/B my Mesa Triple Recto to the FM3. The closest amp that I can mimic with is the Recto 1 (Red?) To the Triple Rectifier Channel 3 Modern Channel. There is a bit more girth/weight with the real amp that I'm guessing has more to do with the 150 watt power section. Is there a way to "mimic" this in the Amp Sim to simulate this head room? I tried the Variac setting to 150% but the girth/weight is still missing. I dialed around several of the other/advanced settings but couldn't get close. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you match can and mic setup? Or you were using fm3 into real cab? Did you match the amp settings visually (aka "mid to 5" on both devices), or by ear?
Just trying to learn more about a/b setup, cause it matters a lot.

As Chromatizm said
We need to know are you trying to match into power amp and real cab?
Are you looking for the amp in the room ? Or are you listening to a recording of your Triple Recto

What are you playing through?

I just added a 200w sub to go with my monitors, and that has helped bring the low end rumble.

Without knowing the set up but if you are using the power amp modelling
Turn down the transformer match
To open it up
Turn down the SAG so it stiffer
Turn down the master bias
On Recto make sure the master is low like 2 to 2.5
Turn down the input trim slightly to clean up the preamp

Did you match can and mic setup? Or you were using fm3 into real cab? Did you match the amp settings visually (aka "mid to 5" on both devices), or by ear?
Just trying to learn more about a/b setup, cause it matters a lot.
Thanks for chiming in... I am A/B'ing the Triple Rec to the FM3 into the same cab using an SS Power Amp sitting right in front of both just using my ears.

To open it up
Thanks for chiming in! I just got two wall (5) guitar mounts that I got installed and was able to lift my guitars off the ground which allowed me to bring my cabs to the upstairs 'game room' which is used for all things music/games/movies/work. I'm A/B'ing while playing a couple riffs on the Triple Recto and then putting the amp on standby and moving the speaker cable to the FM3/SS power-amp and playing a couple riffs. So I can hear and feel the difference, I know there isn't a Triple Recto amp sim in the FAS family of products but going one by one I felt that the Recto 1 Red was the closest to the Red Channel on the Triple Rec. I haven't had a chance to crank either amp since I'm in the house but I have it loud enough to hear/feel sitting two feet away from both setups.

To open it up
Thanks for the advise... let me give that a try right quick.
To open it up
Transformer Match: All the way left it added girth but got a little airy. All the way right added great mids but palm mutes got flubby.

Sag : moving it up or down didn't seem to have any audible effect.

Master Bias Ex: Turning it up added weight but muddied it up a bit, turning it down sounded as if you were turning down the input on your guitar.

Master Volume: 2.21

Input: I've been playing with turning this up or down for the last couple of months. My OCD always told me to have my guitar volume at max. But for years... technically my entire guitar playing life, I never even considered turning my volume pot for metal. Problem was that I always had nasty feedback even at low volumes. It wasn't until I asked the question here in the forum about why the input on all of my guitars even when lowering the FM3 input by 18db, was still clipping the input. I started turning my volume pot down and holy cow everything sounded much cleaner and tighter without all the feedback. Damn OCD was killing me...

Thanks for chiming in... I am A/B'ing the Triple Rec to the FM3 into the same cab using an SS Power Amp sitting right in front of both just using my ears.

Whenever I have a good sound in the FM3 and I want to send it to my SS amp and cabs, I always put a filter before that output (Output 2). I find I almost always set it to a lowpass filter at about 300hz, +8db. This pumps up the low end to match my tube amps. Then I set the high cut to about 8khz. This takes away some of the fizz to match my tube amps. This normally makes the FM3 sound closer to my real Triple Recto, 5153, etc... when played through the same cabs.

Whenever I have a good sound in the FM3 and I want to send it to my SS amp and cabs, I always put a filter before that output (Output 2). I find I almost always set it to a lowpass filter at about 300hz, +8db. This pumps up the low end to match my tube amps. Then I set the high cut to about 8khz. This takes away some of the fizz to match my tube amps. This normally makes the FM3 sound closer to my real Triple Recto, 5153, etc... when played through the same cabs.
I just tried your filter block trick and it made things a bit too dark but I can see how this could be helpful by editing it a bit off of your settings. Thanks for the info!

I just tried your filter block trick and it made things a bit too dark but I can see how this could be helpful by editing it a bit off of your settings. Thanks for the info!
Yeah, you could increase the high cut frequency to make it brighter, or lower the lowpass to 250hz or 280hz or something to fine tune the low end boom. I use different settings, but this overall trick usually works well to make it sound better into my SS amp and cabs.

Back
Top Bottom