Fm3 footswitch toggle question

Reet

Inspired
Hey all, i'm super interested in an fm3. I've watched a fair amount of videos and did some lurking but i can't seem to get this exact question answered. I want to layout my fm3 so that the three buttons are preset 1 2 3. I also want to be able to change between scene 1 and 2 with a tap on any of those. So to clarify: I hit the first switch. It goes to preset 1 scene 1. I tap the same switch. Now i'm on preset 1 scene 2. If it tap again it switches back to scene 1. If i tap another switch it goes to that preset scene 1 until i tap and switch to scene 2 on that preset. I've always been a preset player. Realistically i need 6 sounds. 3 main sounds and 3 variations. Is this possible? This is the most simple way in my mind at least to have 6 sounds with minimal tap dancing. Any info/suggestions is gladly appreciated. Thanks guys

Hey all, i'm super interested in an fm3. I've watched a fair amount of videos and did some lurking but i can't seem to get this exact question answered. I want to layout my fm3 so that the three buttons are preset 1 2 3. I also want to be able to change between scene 1 and 2 with a tap on any of those. So to clarify: I hit the first switch. It goes to preset 1 scene 1. I tap the same switch. Now i'm on preset 1 scene 2. If it tap again it switches back to scene 1. If i tap another switch it goes to that preset scene 1 until i tap and switch to scene 2 on that preset. I've always been a preset player. Realistically i need 6 sounds. 3 main sounds and 3 variations. Is this possible? This is the most simple way in my mind at least to have 6 sounds with minimal tap dancing. Any info/suggestions is gladly appreciated. Thanks guys
Hello. I think I can clarify.

You can assign tap and hold functions for each switch. You cannot set it up as above, but there are ways to approach it.

You could assign the hold feature to select presets or scenes and the tap feature to select the other. Actually you would only need one of the switches to toggle your scene, since that function would be independent of the preset you were on.

There are other creative uses though. Do you use the presets in some sort of order? If so, you could set a tap or hold to advance you through that list or you could inc/dec through it. That way you could use a tap on two switches for preset inc/dec and a tap on the third to toggle scenes.

If you spend a few bucks you can add two external stand in switches and then it's really wide open. That's what I've done and it's more than I need.

These are only a few possibilities. I suggest reading the Foot Switch manual to really dive in.

You could do that with 3 layouts and layout links. Make switch 1 a scene 1/2 toggle in layout 1 while switches 2 & 3 select presets and link to layouts 2 & 3, etc.

I'll just pipe in to add that once you get your FM3, you may end up totally changing the way you set up your switches. The way I have mine currently configured is quite a bit different than I originally expected. Over the last two years, I've played around with a couple of configurations and finally landed on a set-up that really works for me.

To be honest, the Fractal switch functionality is something I didn't think a huge amount when I was buying mine, but it has become one of the things I am the most impressed with. It is quite clever and very, very configurable.

I think the easiest way is to create a song in your Setlist with 6 sections:
Preset 1 - Scene 1
Preset 1 - Scene 2
Preset 2 - Scene 1
Preset 2 - Scene 2
Preset 3 - Scene 1
Preset 3 - Scene 2

Then set up three footswitches:
FS1: Song Section - Toggle - 1 / 2
FS2: Song Section - Toggle - 3 / 4
FS3: Song Section - Toggle - 5 / 6

Take a look at Dante's video from the Gift of Tone series. He doesn't directly address your question, but I was really impressed by his creativeness with the switches.

But does he want to be changing layouts? I interpreted his question as he wants everything readily available.
On the FM3 it could all be done in multiple Views of 1 layout. A layout link allows you to specify a layout number and a view.

He won't be changing layout (or view) directly, only via a layout link triggered after selecting the preset he wants.

But to be fair, his description is a bit "open" and could be interpreted to mean a few things.

On the FM3 it could all be done in multiple Views of 1 layout. A layout link allows you to specify a layout number and a view.

He won't be changing layout (or view) directly, only via a layout link triggered after selecting the preset he wants.

But to be fair, his description is a bit "open" and could be interpreted to mean a few things.
Yes, but aren't we still talking about additional toe taps?

Back to the OP:

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but the answer to your question is "yes" and "no". I'm assuming you're placing a premium on minimizing toe tapping and you want any given scene accessible with no more than two taps.

No, you cannot accomplish it as outlined.

Yes, you can execute your intent with constraints: 1. you are limited to three presets, 2. you are limited to two scenes per preset.

You assign one tap to inc preset and another to dec over a given bank or range (preferably bank so everything is visible at once) with "wrap" (so you can go from 1 to 3 and vice versa). Now you're never more than one tap away from your target preset. You use the third available tap to toggle between two scene positions (probably 1 & 2).

There you have it. You'll also still have all of your hold functions available.

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Sorry i was at work, i posted this on lunch. I guess i'm just super used to this layout. I never used scenes when i had an Axe fx 2 and mfc101. I also currently have an fx8 i use with my Splawn and its killer. Its also set up in basically my simple ass "6 preset options at any time setup." I've never liked the song per preset approach personally. I also don't use my presets in some sort of order. M I only ever used scenes on my fx8 to have scene 1 and 2 switches since i had extra buttons lol. So with the Splawn i have 12 sounds. Realisticly though 6 is the goal. If it helps i'm trying to be able to always be able to switch to 1 of 3 given "base presets". The toggle idea was an added bonus of having 3 extra variations of the preset i'm currently on. I absolutely could live with only 3. But then i'd have to be a real guitar player and use my volume knob and such so thats tough.

I apoligize if my wording is wrong guys. This can be so tough for me to explain.

3 Presets. Clean, Rythmn, Lead.

When any one of them is selected i wanted to toggle the one that is currently on to get a variation of that sound. The other two buttons would still be to switch to the other base presets. So i'm not "stuck" in some scene mode. Needing to hit two buttons to get back to a base preset.(Or scene 1 of any given preset. I figured i'd use the hold functions on the far left and right to bank up/bank down.

Again i apoligize for this being so confusing guys.

I apoligize if my wording is wrong guys. This can be so tough for me to explain.

3 Presets. Clean, Rythmn, Lead.

When any one of them is selected i wanted to toggle the one that is currently on to get a variation of that sound. The other two buttons would still be to switch to the other base presets. So i'm not "stuck" in some scene mode. Needing to hit two buttons to get back to a base preset.(Or scene 1 of any given preset. I figured i'd use the hold functions on the far left and right to bank up/bank down.

Again i apoligize for this being so confusing guys.
Layout Links is the option you want, I think.

Layout 1 - View 1:

1: preset 1, layout link to layout 1 view 2
2: preset 2, layout link to layout 1 view 3
3: preset 3, layout link to layout 1 view 4

Layout 1 - View 2:

1: Scene Toggle 1/2
2: preset 2, layout link to layout 1 view 3

Layout 1 - View 3:

1: preset 1, layout link to layout 1 view 2
2: Scene Toggle 1/2

Layout 1 - View 4:

1: preset 1, layout link to layout 1 view 3
3: preset 2, layout link to layout 1 view 4
3: Scene Toggle 1/2

This is one possible choice. I made the scene toggle switch "follow" the preset selected, but it could be done differently as well.

Also, I'd probably add a Hold function on one switch to perform Layout select of Layout 1 View 1 to get back to the "master" view.

Thats exactly what i'm looking for. I want the scene toggle to follow the preset i'm currently on. Thanks so much man. This gives me hope. Seems that they're a ton of options and the fm3 is super flexible. I'm gonna watch the video suggested and keep learning. Appreciate all the help and feedback everyone.

I think I may be missing something, but I'm not quite sure why you can't do this all in a single preset using six scenes. This is almost exactly how I have my FM3 set-up using scene toggle.

If I were you I'd set up scenes as such:
Scene 1: Clean primary
Scene 2: Clean variation
Scene 3: Rhythm primary
Scene 4: Rhythm variation
Scene 5: Lead primary
Scene 6: Lead variation

Then just set up your switches in a single view to toggle scenes:
Switch 1: toggle 1/2
Switch 2: toggle 3/4
Switch 3: toggle 5/6

I also have switch 3 long press to the next page of the same view in my case gives me a toggle switch to access scenes 7/8 which are less commonly used variations. Before I included my MC-6, I had the other two switches do utility functions like tuner.

I really like this approach. I then just copy the preset if I want some other variations not available in a single preset (maybe due to layout or DSP limitations).

Back
Top Bottom