FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to amend the process I said I used. I looked through my beta-testing notes and used "upgrade all presets" to enable the gapless switching followed by performing a soft-reset of all the presets. Soft-reset keeps the tone-control settings in the amp block, unlike a hard-reset which returns everything to the firmware's defaults.

The FX3 and FM9 will automatically load the Cygnus X-3 changes to the Amp block when switching to a preset. The FM3 doesn't do that so we have to initiate it, and the easiest/fastest way is by letting FM3-Edit do it through the Preset Manager. Select the presets you want to process and right-click and choose "Reset Amp Blocks". Read the Wiki's Reset the amp section in the Amp block page or look in the manual if you need more information.

And, like always, use Fractal-Bot, either the embedded version in Edit, or the standalone, to back-up the unit prior to updating the presets so you have a safety net available.

I just don't understand the topic of resetting the amp block. I looked at the topic on the wiki. Do I have to reset the amp block for all presets after importing the new firmware or not? I want to avoid having to readjust the EQ etc. for my 50 presets...that took a long time to set them the way they are now.

You can test it yourself: Update your unit, copy one preset to a slot right next to the OG, reset the amp block in the copy, grab the settings you want from the OG and then compare them by switching back and forth seamlessly.

I have to amend the process I said I used. I looked through my beta-testing notes and used "upgrade all presets" to enable the gapless switching followed by performing a soft-reset of all the presets. Soft-reset keeps the tone-control settings in the amp block, unlike a hard-reset which returns everything to the firmware's defaults.

The FX3 and FM9 will automatically load the Cygnus X-3 changes to the Amp block when switching to a preset. The FM3 doesn't do that so we have to initiate it, and the easiest/fastest way is by letting FM3-Edit do it through the Preset Manager. Select the presets you want to process and right-click and choose "Reset Amp Blocks". Read the Wiki's Reset the amp section in the Amp block page or look in the manual if you need more information.

And, like always, use Fractal-Bot, either the embedded version in Edit, or the standalone, to back-up the unit prior to updating the presets so you have a safety net available.

Thank you for clarification.
I have to ask then could someone please explain to me how after doing only the Utilities>Upgrade All Presets and then turning back on my FM3 my amps are drastically different?
Is there a set of underlying changes that takes place just from doing the Firmware update and Upgrade All Presets and then further improvements that in order to take advantage of you must do the reset?

Scenario 1:
There are two sets of changes that can be implemented.
If this is not the case and there is only one set of changes to the amps that should be taking place then that only leaves two other options:

A.
Utilities>Upgrade All Presets does in fact make all necessary changes
B.
There is a bug in my upgrade (because I can A/B compare one of my main presets to what it sounded like immediately after upgrade where it had major changes to what it was before)

I just don't understand the topic of resetting the amp block. I looked at the topic on the wiki. Do I have to reset the amp block for all presets after importing the new firmware or not? I want to avoid having to readjust the EQ etc. for my 50 presets...that took a long time to set them the way they are now.
The FX3 and FM9 automatically upgrade the Amp block, we just have to save the preset. The FM3 does not automatically upgrade it, we have to do a soft or hard reset to acquire the new parameters then save the preset. A soft-reset will retain your tone-settings.

The Wiki page goes into the details.

Was going to hold off for the full release…. But couldn’t help myself!

The new remastered amps definitely sound better to my ears, more clarity in the highs and tighter bottom end, my AC30TB has never sounded so good 🤤

Gaplass switching is another game changer, even just chancel switching amps and cabs, amazing!

…. But I do hope the kill dry option will turn up in the next beta? 👀

I think the soft reset will only retain your settings depending on what you have the tone setting in Utilities set at ( Authentic or Ideal)
The Ideal setting keeps your tone and gain knobs as you set them. The Authentic setting puts everything back to defaults.

I tried a few pre sets each way to confirm this. It was easier to use Ideal for me as I don't want to get into the rabbit hole of retweaking each preset from scratch. Once I knew which way to go, I reset all my own presets in one big batch .

I think the soft reset will only retain your settings depending on what you have the tone setting in Utilities set at ( Authentic or Ideal)
The Ideal setting keeps your tone and gain knobs as you set them. The Authentic setting puts everything back to defaults.

I tried a few pre sets each way to confirm this. It was easier to use Ideal for me as I don't want to get into the rabbit hole of retweaking each preset from scratch. Once I knew which way to go, I reset all my own presets in one big batch .
Thank you for clarification.
I have to ask then could someone please explain to me how after doing only the Utilities>Upgrade All Presets and then turning back on my FM3 my amps are drastically different?
Is there a set of underlying changes that takes place just from doing the Firmware update and Upgrade All Presets and then further improvements that in order to take advantage of you must do the reset?

Scenario 1:
There are two sets of changes that can be implemented.
If this is not the case and there is only one set of changes to the amps that should be taking place then that only leaves two other options:

A.
Utilities>Upgrade All Presets does in fact make all necessary changes
B.
There is a bug in my upgrade (because I can A/B compare one of my main presets to what it sounded like immediately after upgrade where it had major changes to what it was before)
the biggest thing is don't overthink it , when you load the beta the parameters shown in the release notes are automatically applied in order to save them instead of going one by one , you can batch save all presets , selecting that will update ALL of your presets to the new values
As far as will it sound different , yes , probably , will it be major , that will most likely depend on what you changed in the 15 parameters shown in the release notes , I think its better and would always like to have the sound that the designer intended , the caveat to this is if you have a gig tonite I probably would wait as it can change the sound you are used to regardless of weather you like it better , different may not be great if you are used to something else

Played with quite a few of the new amps and even though I’m METAL!! by nature, I could never get into the newer 5150-based sound a lot of heavy bands use now. The 5153 Stealth though… GODDAMN!! I’ve been making heavy rhythm presets with 4 amps each just because I can lol

I’ve also been playing a lot with dual drive pedals over the last few weeks, with the first being the main and the 2nd at like .05. While seem to suck the drive from the first, others sort of glue the the whole thing together. The Sunshine is great for that. I’d never heard of the original but I’m loving it!

I haven’t dove into the JS410 Lead Green yet, which is probably the main thing I wanted from this update, but I now have 3 Satch-like presets that use only the JS410’s (JTM45 for clean) channels. One handled cleans and rhythms and the other 2 are for various leads. If Joe ever needs a sub for a concert, I officially have it covered, hahaha.

The FX3 and FM9 automatically upgrade the Amp block, we just have to save the preset. The FM3 does not automatically upgrade it, we have to do a soft or hard reset to acquire the new parameters then save the preset. A soft-reset will retain your tone-settings.

Hey Greg

Just to clarify - does using Preset Manager in FM3 Edit, and performing a Reset Amp Block on one (or many) Presets count as a soft reset?

Furthermore, Global Settings EQ should be set to Ideal so as not to overwrite Gain, B/M/T etc.?

Or do I need to do the Wiki process by selecting another amp in the amp block and then going back to the original?

Cheers!

Just to clarify - does using Preset Manager in FM3 Edit, and performing a Reset Amp Block on one (or many) Presets count as a soft reset?

Furthermore, Global Settings EQ should be set to Ideal so as not to overwrite Gain, B/M/T etc.?

Or do I need to do the Wiki process by selecting another amp in the amp block and then going back to the original?
The Wiki's page answers all three questions well.

I usually don't post anything that doesn't add value to something.
But I had to post here to say THANK YOU FAS for the great work!

I also have to say that USA MK IV Lead Mid is even more hypnotic in this firmware.

Hi all !

From memory ... highlighting a block and then hitting " CTRL i " would re-set all of that blocks primary and advanced-deep parameters to the Factory stock for the specific FW being run.

Is this still the case ?

Thanks,
Ben

Hi all !

From memory ... highlighting a block and then hitting " CTRL i " would re-set all of that blocks primary and advanced-deep parameters to the Factory stock for the specific FW being run.

Is this still the case ?

Thanks,
Ben
ctrl+i will reset the channel to defaults. all parameters.

ctrl+i will reset the channel to defaults. all parameters.

Thanks Chris ... where you wrote channel did you mean block (?)

My recollection was that if the block was selected / highlighted ... it would be that selected / highlighted block that is fully reset to all-full factory stock settings (?)

Ben

Thanks Chris ... where you wrote channel did you mean block (?)

My recollection was that if the block was selected / highlighted ... it would be that selected / highlighted block that is fully reset to all-full factory stock settings (?)

Ben
i wrote channel.

I need to bring all my amps down a bit, everything feels louder. More "amp in the room" type of loudness.

That's a major change in behavior from a modeling standpoint. It makes my old presets sparkle and I like it. More to discover in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom