FM3 Firmware Version 7.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
[chalks up another day of patiently waiting for a possible gapless update to arrive]

Be Patient Voting Rights GIF by INTO ACTION

Maybe someone from admin could perhaps provide us with the latest on how the revision is progressing?
The last official comment was that a senior software team member was on sick leave. Hopefully that person has recovered and is back on deck?

You know how gratifying it's going to be for admin to close this thread?! 🤣
I mean, at this point you'd hope they have gotten used to this :p Only a matter of time till Cliff goes on another update spree on the III and then it's a similar situation. Some times the FM3 part of the forum reminds me of a specific formulation of hedonist paradox.

Still can't use FM3 live. Switching is really slow and messes up my timing. Yes, I have done all the tricks, using scene controllers, using more than one block of the same effect etc. I still use pedals with a mechanical loop switch and its gapless.I have other ancient modellers (like Boss GT3) and switching between presets is quicker. Also, FM3 randomly freezes so your performance is screwed. The pros have multiple units of these so switching is not a problem. You can program FM3 in midi for switching but I don't want to bring a computer to gig and it is not rock n roll.

Still can't use FM3 live. Switching is really slow and messes up my timing.

Do you have Hold functions on the switches, and are these "must haves"?

The switches with Hold functions "trigger" after a user defined period of time (in other words, the switch is trying to work out if you are tapping it or holding it).

From memory the durations can be set at 0.25 of a second, 0.50, 0.75 etc.. If things are taking too long to change, either remove the Hold function, or lower the threshold for the switch to activate the function you need ...

I hope this helps ...

No hold functions on switches, I just toggle between scenes. For tuner or selecting another preset, I bend down and push a button. CPU also always under 80%, no over the top presets with lots of blocks. If you are just recording at home, you guys won't notice it but playing live is different when you need to switch between different sounds within a song.

Still can't use FM3 live
That's a choice, i mean, many people have been using Fractal products live for a long time without the recently added gapless switching feature. (I know it has not arrived on FM3 and for you all i hope it will.)

FM3 randomly freezes
CPU also always under 80%
That indicates a different problem. Does it happen on a specific preset, if so can you attach that preset? What means "freezes" and what do you do to solve the problem?

That's a choice, i mean, many people have been using Fractal products live for a long time without the recently added gapless switching feature. (I know it has not arrived on FM3 and for you all i hope it will.)

That indicates a different problem. Does it happen on a specific preset, if so can you attach that preset? What means "freezes" and what do you do to solve the problem?
It's just that many people use modifiers to get around gaps.
By the way, my FM3 also freezes sometimes. Yesterday this happened during rehearsal. I think I should open a separate thread to deal with this.

No hold functions on switches, I just toggle between scenes. For tuner or selecting another preset, I bend down and push a button. CPU also always under 80%, no over the top presets with lots of blocks. If you are just recording at home, you guys won't notice it but playing live is different when you need to switch between different sounds within a song.
Something must be wrong. Scene changes are pretty fast here, as in perfectly usable live. Playing at home I notice gaps more, since it's often just my guitar with no other sound.

Same here. I used to have my FM3 in 4CM setup with a Mesa Boogie TriAxis/2:90 setup and the switching was ok-ish. Then the Boogie rig broke down and had to resort to my back-up Line 6 DT50 head and now switching is unbearable. Still haven't figured out if the root cause is if its a midi issue coming from the FM3 or if it's a midi issue in the amp heads.

You know how gratifying it's going to be for admin to close this thread?! 🤣
Not really for me, because I stopped reading it :p

In all seriousness... We're working away on the next FM3 firmware. Recent Axe-Fx updates are quite "heavy" in terms of DSP and other resources, but our FM3 engineers are doing what engineers do. It takes time, and quality must take precedence over speedy delivery.

As I understand it, you can in fact use a 3 lb. sack to hold 5 lbs. of potatoes, but doing so is a bit like playing Jenga in reverse, with some of the potatoes mashed or cut into different sized pieces and... OK, this metaphor is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well we all appreciate you guys. And I don't think anyone is upset that there's no update, we're just being trolls and excited for some new stuff to make our mundane and boring lives a little better.

In all seriousness... We're working away on the next FM3 firmware. Recent Axe-Fx updates are quite "heavy" in terms of DSP and other resources, but our FM3 engineers are doing what engineers do. It takes time, and quality must take precedence over speedy delivery.

As I understand it, you can in fact use a 3 lb. sack to hold 5 lbs. of potatoes, but doing so is a bit like playing Jenga in reverse, with some of the potatoes mashed or cut into different sized pieces and... OK, this metaphor is ridiculous.
Thanks for the update

🤣

….mmm… don’t think you could’ve said it better…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom