FM3 Firmware Version 7.00 beta 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 6160 Block Letter is definitely not fixed. My FM3 is frozen. I can click on the amp block in FM3 Edit and it says it's on the 5f1 Tweed amp. When I click on the cab block, it says Dyna Cab but doesn't have the speaker graphics or the Dyna Cab settings. It looks like the regular cab settings, but with no values in any of the fields. There are no values in any of the amp fields, either. I didn't choose Dyna Cab. I went straight to a preset that had a 6160 Block amp in it, made no changes, and tried to switch scenes and it froze.

And I'm still getting a high pitched squeal, whether on Dyna Cabs or not, even with the strings muted. It could be pickup squeal but it doesn't do it with the FM9 and it didn't do it prior to any of the 7.00 betas. I'm using Austin Buddy's global settings, which I also use on the FM9 with no issues. It does it even with the output volume at around 50%.

Edit 7/29/23: Just to be sure it wasn't my pickups, I tried a completely different guitar with completely different pickups. Same thing. Both guitars are HSS config S-style guitars, one with Bare Knuckle Ragnarok and Trilogy's, and the other with Railhammer Anvil and SD Quarter Pounders. Both squeal at the same frequency, even on the single coil pickups. This occurs even with the strings muted. The speaker (EV PXM -12MP) is behind me. I put the looper block in front of a preset, recorded a loop and same frequency squeal when I wasn't playing and there was "dead air" in the loop, with volume turned down on the guitar while the loop played.

Last edited:
Just tested on Beta 4 with Factory Preset 063 (6160s). Changing Scenes is fine for me. Even if the change the Amp block channel. However, If I type Cmd + I with the Amp block selected on Scene 1 the FM3 freezes.

Just tested on Beta 4 with Factory Preset 063 (6160s). Changing Scenes is fine for me. Even if the change the Amp block channel. However, If I type Cmd + I with the Amp block selected on Scene 1 the FM3 freezes.
What does ctrl+ I actually do?

Played with the "5153" Preset, Scene 4 (Blue 50W). Changed Cab Block to Dyna Cab with the 5153 Speakers (Dyn2+Ribbon). Changed Amp Block to PVH 6160 Block Crunch. All good, then pushed "Strg + I" to initialise the Amp Block - FM3 hangs and i had to power cycle!
I can confirm. After doing exactly these steps, my FM3 was frozen. Tried it twice.

Went to a preset with a peavey crunch and it froze my FM3. When I restarted it it was stuck at the loading screen. Had to do this like 4 times to get it to boot fully, but it was still frozen. So then I booted it in safe mode and deleted the presets that were causing problems.
Definitely sounds like that amp model has a problem still.

Thanks for the extra details.

I’ve been leery to try mine the past couple days because I do use the 6160s and 5153 presets often (in fact when I last turned it off I think it was still in preset 063). I assume there’s a good chance the Fractal moderators will announce here once they’re sure it’s fixed so we can know when it’s safe to use those presets again? I think tomorrow I’ll turn it on and if I’m right and it’s on one of the presets that can crash FM3s I’ll quickly just change presets for now should be fine.

I’ve been leery to try mine the past couple days because I do use the 6160s and 5153 presets often (in fact when I last turned it off I think it was still in preset 063). I assume there’s a good chance the Fractal moderators will announce here once they’re sure it’s fixed so we can know when it’s safe to use those presets again? I think tomorrow I’ll turn it on and if I’m right and it’s on one of the presets that can crash FM3s I’ll quickly just change presets for now should be fine.
When I had this issue, then so long as I turned the rotary knob as the first thing I did after boot, I was able to get away from the problematic preset.

Not trying to be a bummer here because my FM3 is awesome!!! Hopefully this update will fix the audio surge issue!!! It's happened to me twice and my hearing and monitors can't take it. C'mon Fractal... If you're reading this please confirm that this issue has been addressed or no dyna cabs for me. Thanks!

Went to a preset with a peavey crunch and it froze my FM3. When I restarted it it was stuck at the loading screen. Had to do this like 4 times to get it to boot fully, but it was still frozen. So then I booted it in safe mode and deleted the presets that were causing problems.
whoah whoah whoah, I have a dud preset on mine that I cant delete cause it insta hits max CPU so I've just been avoiding it... how does one boot in safe mode to remove it?

whoah whoah whoah, I have a dud preset on mine that I cant delete cause it insta hits max CPU so I've just been avoiding it... how does one boot in safe mode to remove it?
From FM3 Manual page 113

PROBLEMS WITH A SINGLE PRESET
If your FM3 will not boot normally, the problem may just be the current preset. You can force the unit to load an empty initialized preset as follows:
4. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
5. Power on holding HOME until the boot-up progress bar first appears.
The FM3 will boot with an empty initialized preset in location “000”. You can STORE this to any other location to overwrite a problematic preset.

You can’t go to manage presets on edit and delete ? Just make sure your listening source is turned off.

You can’t go to manage presets on edit and delete ? Just make sure your listening source is turned off.
Sometimes it’s better to open a blank preset on the modeler’s front-panel then save it over the problem preset.

The editor is not the boss of the modeler, instead it’s the other way around. The modeler is the authority that knows everything and controls the edit app and the FC, and they echo what it says.

The FM3 will boot with an empty initialized preset in location “000”. You can STORE this to any other location to overwrite a problematic preset.
Woah, thank you for this. I always store my most used preset in this location. Need to change it I guess and just keep it empty or for experiments.
I'd say loading the empty preset without overwriting anything would be a better solution (a preset might be saved in the future FW or fixed on Fm9/Axe3), no need to overwrite anything imo

Woah, thank you for this. I always store my most used preset in this location. Need to change it I guess and just keep it empty or for experiments.
I'd say loading the empty preset without overwriting anything would be a better solution (a preset might be saved in the future FW or fixed on Fm9/Axe3), no need to overwrite anything imo
I guess the question I have is whether the “000” is just temporarily in memory and either everything is bumped to the next higher number until something is done with the preset (overwrite or save in an empty location). The only thing I could see being an issue is if every preset space is used. I’ve never done the procedure so I’m not sure exactly what happens, but I would hope this procedure wouldn’t force a user to lose a wanted preset.

Most of all this is another good reason to have a recent backup especially if a user was doing a lot of editing and preset making/changing. One other thing I always do is place the FM3 on an empty preset before shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom