FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this deserves a separate thread, maybe a FW issue.
In the factory preset "030 - MR. Z 38 — Dr. Z Maz 38, compressor, RCB drive" the RC Booster in Drive block has default EQ values, 0.5 gain and block level 7.72. When engaged, it opens the amp beautifully, in a way I'm not able to reproduce when engaging in-amp boost with RCB setting and 0.5 or 1.0 gain level.
Is there a way to reproduce it so I don't need a drive block for this? Is this a bug or expected behavior? I didn't try it in previous FWs so have no idea. Thank you!

Not sure if this deserves a separate thread, maybe a FW issue.
In the factory preset "030 - MR. Z 38 — Dr. Z Maz 38, compressor, RCB drive" the RC Booster in Drive block has default EQ values, 0.5 gain and block level 7.72. When engaged, it opens the amp beautifully, in a way I'm not able to reproduce when engaging in-amp boost with RCB setting and 0.5 or 1.0 gain level.
Is there a way to reproduce it so I don't need a drive block for this? Is this a bug or expected behavior? I didn't try it in previous FWs so have no idea. Thank you!
Amp block boost is only volume and the EQ curve of the drive. The Gain control of the Drive is not part of the Boost in Amp block.
B8177931-AC85-40FB-ADE9-D2F634AA28B6.jpeg

Amp block boost is only volume and the EQ curve of the drive. The Gain control of the Drive is not part of the Boost in Amp block.
So then if I turn the drive to 0 in the DRV block and set an input gain for the RCB boost in AMP block to about 8, I should get the same results, but it's not. EQ is the same (default), so why's the difference? The in-amp boost has certainly more "body" and bass.

My lucky number came up finally for a FM9. Man, did I hem and haw over it. In the end, I gave met spot to the next lucky person, and yes, I'm in the right place.

My FM3:
  • Consistency gives me the best tone I've ever had.
  • Got rid of my amp and speaker.
  • Got rid of all my effects (except for a KOT).
  • Runs delays, Trems, Leslies, Phasers, in a single preset.
  • THE 5.X and 6.X FIRMWARES UPDATES ARE LIKE GETTING A REFRESHED FM3.
I did hem and haw, but in the end the support that Fractal has given the FM3 has extended the life of this little unit for me for the foreseeable future. Would I like to seamlessly switch amps? Sure, I would. I'm just trying to remember the last time anyone in the audience would give a hoot.
YMMV, but for me, these upgrades have literally bought years of utility. Awesome. Thanks, Fractal!

Now, a FM5 wouldn't kill me....

fm5ish.png

So then if I turn the drive to 0 in the DRV block and set an input gain for the RCB boost in AMP block to about 8, I should get the same results, but it's not. EQ is the same (default), so why's the difference? The in-amp boost has certainly more "body" and bass.
Good question... I don't typically use the Boost in the Amp block so I haven't compared.

No. The Drive block level control is not decibels like the Amp block boost. The RCB drive block with gain on 0 needs a level of around 7 for unity. So at 8 you'd need to back the amp boost down to 3-5 DB to get a similar result.

No. The Drive block level control is not decibels like the Amp block boost. The RCB drive block with gain on 0 needs a level of around 7 for unity. So at 8 you'd need to back the amp boost down to 3-5 DB to get a similar result.
So I've tried all values from 0.5 to 8 in the in-amp boost - nothing sounds like a RC in the drive block with 0.5 gain and volume at 8. There is an amazing clarity with DRV block which is not present when in-amp boost in engaged.
It's not that I'll flip if DRV block will stay, but I just don't want to add another one to run other drives.. Any suggestions?

So I've tried all values from 0.5 to 8 in the in-amp boost - nothing sounds like a RC in the drive block with 0.5 gain and volume at 8. There is an amazing clarity with DRV block which is not present when in-amp boost in engaged.
It's not that I'll flip if DRV block will stay, but I just don't want to add another one to run other drives.. Any suggestions?
.5 gain is not 0… the boost is supposed to match 0.

Not sure what you mean by clarity, but you can not emulate any level of gain with the amp boost, the amp boost is a clean boost. Drive gain must be on 0 to match.

I don't know what this means other than it happened.

I've installed every update on my FM3 with no concerns whatsoever, but when I installed 6.6 everything sounded horrid on all my presets, especially the reverbs. All sounded very thin and harsh and the reverbs were like all the parameters were set to extremes. I performed the refresh twice with no effect.
I explored on youtube and saw Frank Steffen Mueller's clip about resetting amp blocks. I did this to all of them and thankfully it fixed whatever was amiss.
Thank you Mr Mueller and I hope this was a one of and no one else has experienced it.

Thank you Fractal folk (official and unofficial) for all that you do.

My lucky number came up finally for a FM9. Man, did I hem and haw over it. In the end, I gave met spot to the next lucky person, and yes, I'm in the right place.

My FM3:
  • Consistency gives me the best tone I've ever had.
  • Got rid of my amp and speaker.
  • Got rid of all my effects (except for a KOT).
  • Runs delays, Trems, Leslies, Phasers, in a single preset.
  • THE 5.X and 6.X FIRMWARES UPDATES ARE LIKE GETTING A REFRESHED FM3.
I did hem and haw, but in the end the support that Fractal has given the FM3 has extended the life of this little unit for me for the foreseeable future. Would I like to seamlessly switch amps? Sure, I would. I'm just trying to remember the last time anyone in the audience would give a hoot.
YMMV, but for me, these upgrades have literally bought years of utility. Awesome. Thanks, Fractal!

Now, a FM5 wouldn't kill me....

View attachment 112174
I totally agree with what you're saying. I started with a FX2 before I got the FM3 which seemed the best choice for me that time because of the portability and power of the unit. I came from a 5150 double cabinet stack so my back was quite happy as well. Looking back I just used the 5150 and some effects to create my heavy and clean sound and that was all. Some chorus, reverb, rotary, delay and a wah pedal got the job done. Now I am using a Friedman ASM12 with the FM3 and it sounds awesome. With the new song setup I plan to use the first and third switch to proceed through songs which should create the best and most beautiful combinations of amps and effects I could ever wish for and need. Many thanks to the people @ FAS! \m/

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by clarity, but you can not emulate any level of gain with the amp boost, the amp boost is a clean boost. Drive gain must be on 0 to match.
If you have that factory preset, you will hear it - with RC in DRV the sound is more open with a lot of clear and articulated high notes. Just strum an open E chord and you'll hear.
With RC in the AMP block the sound is quite different, with high notes being more muddy, overall more bass, etc.

.5 gain is not 0… the boost is supposed to match 0.
Sure, I did all that. No difference, in-amp boost sounds different.

Last edited:
Sure, I did all that. No difference, in-amp boost sounds different.
Just out of curiosity, could you try resetting the Drive block and lowering Gain to 0? That would confirm at least that there are no other settings changed.

Also, I'm wondering if the Amp's Input EQ is coming into play here?

I'm not sure where the Boost applies within the block, but if it's after the pre-EQ that could explain a difference since anything before the Amp would be affected by the Input EQ, where the Boost might not:

E186A57D-6AAF-4F58-8D15-898CE282A0E4.jpeg

I'm not sure that's documented anywhere...

With latest beta 6 update i found on problem:
Create empy patch with just input1-amp ( FAS 6160 )-CAB-out1.
When i dial treble, AxeFM3 hangs out, gives a low clipping type noise, and FM Edit hangs out with that current present. Problem can be solved when i change preset.

Edit: Refresh after new firmware done, and actually my problem fires when i touch any control in that amp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom