FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose you can call my perspective skewed, and I can call yours skewed, and it gets us nowhere.
From my perspective, many, many, many people on these forms have been asking for this improvement, first for years with the AXE, and now with the FM3.
I am not trying to start a pissing match here: I am simply saying that you have a strong use case for that feature, so you see the "many" people asking for it (my offhand guess is something b/w a handful and 25 people on the forum). And I see that most music is made without a VC, and that probably hundreds of FM3 users on this forum never asked for VC improvements and could hardly care less.

I would really like to express my strong opinion, once and for all, that the virtual capo is NOT some necessary prerequisite for live/band playing. In fact, tons of bands, from never-gigging jam collectives to multi-million dollar enterprises, play live WITHOUT a virtual capo (or a real one, for that matter).

I completely understand that it is an interesting option for certain musical styles, with certain guitar equipment limitations etc. But to insist on the virtual capo being "essential" or even a "major feature" for gigging is a thoroughly skewed perspective, IMHO.

Agreed 100%. I've never needed it in 27 years of all aspects of guitar playing. Further, it wasn't even something that existed for most of that time, so we just figured out other ways to do it. Being able to transpose on the fly and knowing the fretboard/different shapes/positions seems way more valuable to me than having to depend on a gadget to do it for me...

It's a neat feature that I think has value in a certain artistic space, and I'm not saying its use implies some sort of laziness, but a technology that's only been mainstream for a few years is hardly essential. Marketing gimmick? Perhaps.

Going from my admittedly flawed memory, Fractal has never promised parity with the pitch block for the FM3. Their position has pretty much always been that they will do their best to make it work within the limitations of the hardware.

If there is an epiphany then maybe it still will, but I wouldn't count on it. Cliff has been known to experience those from time to time and I'm sure other software engineers at Fractal also do.

The important part is that the pitch block works as well as it did or better than when I bought the device and I never assumed there was an unwritten pledge to improve it.

It's a neat feature that I think has value in a certain artistic space, and I'm not saying its use implies some sort of laziness, but a technology that's only been mainstream for a few years is hardly essential. Marketing gimmick? Perhaps.
One might say the same thing about the FM3 itself. =0) Everyone has their own experiences and opinions which is awesome. I can definitely see both sides. I played in an all request cover band for years, and had to transpose on the fly all the time, but there are some things that transposing cannot help - such as open strings. For example. I recently switched from bass to guitar in a band I have been in for a while. They always tuned to D standard, and I stayed in E standard on the bass, with a dropped D at first, and later with a five string. When I first switched to guitar I was going to stay in standard with a dropped D, but certain progressions use open strings, and an open string's timbre is different that a fretted note. I had no choice but to change my tuning, else certain songs would sound different. To someone in a cover band with multiple singers and 100's of songs, I could see the V.C as being a game changer, just like the whole modeling technology has been a game changer to many of us and in some cases essential.

Quick question: Are global blocks also dead due to CPU limitations?
I had hopes to see this in the future, maybe also something which cannot be done?

To anyone who says they promised all form factors would get the same improvements missed the time they said they are trying to be as lock step as possible but that none of the units will always be in full lock step with eachother.

I'm so disappointed there's no update to the pitch block! Pitching the thing up an octave to match my 'my balls haven't dropped yet' voice, still doesn't track perfectly? FAS can you sort this out now please or do I have to wait until I grow up?

Agreed 100%. I've never needed it in 27 years of all aspects of guitar playing. Further, it wasn't even something that existed for most of that time, so we just figured out other ways to do it. Being able to transpose on the fly and knowing the fretboard/different shapes/positions seems way more valuable to me than having to depend on a gadget to do it for me...
That pretty much is my opinion too. I just compensate and play in a different key.

There are certain "sounds" associated with different chord positions, and the guitars respond differently depending on where we fret a note on the neck, so there could be some grey-zones where artistic-choice and having super accurate pitch shifting might allow a song or sound to work, but I'm not inclined to be that "discerning."

The only time I've got a real interest it in is if I need to match a song on an album that wasn't tuned to some semitone from concert pitch, or they changed the tape speed. Old blues albums for instance. Constantly bending notes or retuning to match microtone differences in pitch is a bitch, especially with a tremolo bar. In the old days I'd just adjust the speed of my turntable, but now it's not quite as easy. Yeah, "back in my day…." :)

Reactions: Woz
Quick question: Are global blocks also dead due to CPU limitations?
I had hopes to see this in the future, maybe also something which cannot be done?
There was some discussion of them last year? I think that some of the reasons for not seeing them were that demand for them isn't very high so they don't have a lot of priority, and implementing them would eat into the unit's available memory.

There is this though for the FM3 and FM9:
The editors provide a substitute for Global Blocks: Parameter Batch Set. This command can be activated by right-clicking on a parameter while holding down SHIFT to display a context menu and selecting "Set In Multiple Presets". Selecting a sub-menu item will display the Preset Picker from which you can multiply select presets to batch set the parameter value.

I needed that a few days ago when I wanted to change a bunch of presets, remembered it was available, and let the editor chug through the changes. It worked fine, it just wasn't as fast as turning a knob and letting the modeler do it internally.

I am not trying to start a pissing match here: I am simply saying that you have a strong use case for that feature, so you see the "many" people asking for it (my offhand guess is something b/w a handful and 25 people on the forum). And I see that most music is made without a VC, and that probably hundreds of FM3 users on this forum never asked for VC improvements and could hardly care less.
You got me. I, without question, am biased toward that particular improvement, along with a couple others. But I could easily counter that those 25 people on the forum are far more than those who were asking for many of the improvements we HAVE seen go into the FM3. Look down that list of improvements and ask yourself how many of them were called for by more than 25 people. A couple, maybe? So there is more than one way to look at those statistics. And VC improvements were one of the most repeated wishes for the AXE3 prior to it happening, too.
I do find it fascinating to see how many people want to invalidate those 25 or so members of the community, however.

Honest question here: How would you prefer that experienced forum members respond in situations like this? Fractal units are complicated, but there are tons of outstanding resources out there: the manual, existing forum threads, and youtube videos from a variety of outstanding players with tons of knowledge about the unit. I think people mistake genuine frustration from experienced users as "mob mentality" because many of those folks just haven't done the necessary due diligence to learn how the unit functions at a basic level. Sometimes people say to RTFM because that is the best place to find the answer to your questions. Sometimes they say to buy something else because that is honestly the best solution for your problem. Most people on this forum, particularly those that have been around a long time, are not mean or unreasonable, but they do expect you to do your due diligence before flaming the company over something.
AMEN to this!

Some CPU optimization voodoo on the FAS side.. "Virtual Capo" with Tracking on 10, Reverb with "Ultra-High" quality & echo density on "8", a single "Ultra-Res" IR and everything else you see there.. CPU is anywhere between 80% - 83% and no glitches so far.
1641503382110.png

Using 2 x "Ultra-Res" IRs, I have to take the "Reverb" quality "down" to "High quality" (lol sounds silly) and CPU then hovers between 85% - 87.8% and playable..no glitches.

1641503677381.png

I do find it fascinating to see how many people want to invalidate those 25 or so members of the community, however.
I do not think that this is really happening. I agree that we got many improvements and features that even less people have asked for. But it's not like this is some kind of vote and FAS works on what most people say they want on this forum.

In fact I guess that instead, it's a mix of what seems feasible, what is fun to work on (at least I hope so!), and what FAS thinks most users appreciate most. And it sounds like they also considered the virtual capo like a "would've-been-nice", and not something essential --- I wanted to emphasize that this might be a much more widespread sentiment than you think, coming from your application.

Also there are simply many users here who do not ask for much at all, and are just happy with whatever new stuff is released.

There was some discussion of them last year? I think that some of the reasons for not seeing them were that demand for them isn't very high so they don't have a lot of priority, and implementing them would eat into the unit's available memory.

There is this though for the FM3 and FM9:

I needed that a few days ago when I wanted to change a bunch of presets, remembered it was available, and let the editor chug through the changes. It worked fine, it just wasn't as fast as turning a knob and letting the modeler do it internally.
I had no idea this even existed. That is really handy!

On the virtual capo issue…here’s my 10 pence worth. Have never used one or missed one. Possibly because the bands I play in are all large multi instrument ensembles where the guitar will not be the only instrument holding the harmony and they all play originals and it’s up to me to work out my guitar parts…I just use the whole neck. The reality that my fm3 (which I love) does not have as good a virtual capo makes no practical difference to me. It’s does give me a little bit of GAS however and when the FM9 makes it to the uk I will definitely buy one…and not use the virtual capo on that either🤪. However I do think it’s a bit ‘un fractal like’ to have a lower level of functionality and quality of effect on one of their units. What I mean by this is that it makes total sense for the fm3 to have only one amp block (not two amp blocks done badly)….the VC sounds like it’s in the ‘two blocks done badly’ category. It’s not a cut down function, it’s a same function done not as well. The FM3 doesn’t have the capability to do full res irs…it doesn’t try and do them at a lower level, it just doesn’t do them. On the other hand it does do the reverb up to full quality…even though the processor load means you will have to sacrifice some other stuff. There is the option to lower quality, but if you want it at top quality it’s there. I suppose what I am trying to say is what I love about fractal is when they do something they do it right. This feels like a slight deviation from this philosophy. Not that I care really…would never use a virtual capo, will buy an FM9 and not use a virtual capo…and will definitely keep my fm3. Looking forward to updating when the full release comes out. Gigging all the time so don’t want to risk the beta. Love Fractal.

I 100% agree with the disappointment behind not getting the Virtual Capo with the FM3. I tune down to drop E so its nice to have that in a pedal.

This is exactly why I sold the FM3 to buy an FM9. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom