FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ts my first time that Im posting something here.
I’m a huge fan of fractal…

But it is a shame what you guys are doing with the customers of fm3…

“The solution is buy fx3 or fm9 for new pitch/capo”. Is what I never expected to hear from you guys.

I don’t need a new pitch… I need something that is usable…

The fm3 capo is horrible, with lag and destroy your tone.

Again I’m a huge fan of fractal ( I have a fx3 in my studio and fm3 for band) but , I think you guys need to hear the community to increase the capo. Everyone that have a band need a good capo.

Best

They’re not doing anything “with the customers”. It was never promised to begin with. Hell, it wasn’t even promised with the III, it just showed up one day.

They heard the community and tried to make it work, it’s currently not possible. If I went to the desert and said “I want water here” and 5,000 other people showed up along with me and said “I want water here, too” that doesn’t make it possible for water to appear in the desert.

Fractal isn’t in the business of withholding features from the customers, as evident by the massive updates they just released for all 3 units. The FM3 was never supposed to be the full blown III in pedal format, the FM9 isn’t even supposed to be the full blown III in pedal format.

There’s an odd sense of entitlement that has been a rather unfortunate offshoot of having a company that delivers so much. Nothing is ever promised to us and as a result, everything is over-delivered with these updates but it seems to have created this idea that everything is possible on all three units when the only thing stated up front was that the FM3/FM9 will not be able to compete with the CPU power of the III.

But it is a shame what you guys are doing with the customers of fm3…

“The solution is buy fx3 or fm9 for new pitch/capo”. Is what I never expected to hear from you guys.

I don’t need a new pitch… I need something that is usable…

The fm3 capo is horrible, with lag and destroy your tone.

Again I’m a huge fan of fractal ( I have a fx3 in my studio and fm3 for band) but , I think you guys need to hear the community to increase the capo. Everyone that have a band need a good capo.

Best

I could be wrong, but my take is that if there's a specific feature that's important to you, then go with the product that has that feature.

Fractal have been pretty transparent about the FM3 not having parity with Axe-FX III, especially processor-intensive features. They've been saying that since the FM3 was announced, even before it first shipped. They've also been up front in saying that not all improvements will make it into the FM3. It seems like they also have a pretty solid track record of figuring out how to make things work when they can.

It's one thing to hope the FM3 gets the upgraded pitch block, and to be disappointed when it doesn't. But people take it a step further, and act like they're owed it. I'm not sure how they're deriving that expectation, except from petulant entitlement.

In fact there are TWO solutions. Good ones too. Axe-Fx III and FM9.
löik
Updated FM3Edit, Firmware, did a refresh after new firmware,all went well!
Now going through the release notes and only found the following:

1) New Delay Block Types: Worn Tape, Zephyr, and Diffused Delay --> Only Worn Tape shows as a new type in both FM3Edit as on the FM3;
2) New “S-Taper” option in the Volume Block allows new and improved “Auto-Swell” sounds --> Cannot find this option;

All other stuff mentioned in the release notes are working fine, for me ;-) And definitely CPU improvements!
Soundwise. Maybe my ears are fooling me, but it feels like the depth and warmth have improved a bit, especially low ends. A bit more dynamics.
Great job Fractal Team!!!
Same issue here, only Worn Tape ist shown up, for 2) same effect.
Reloaded the Beta version 2nd time and also did a refresh on Fm3 Edit, no change,
I am using Mac OS Monterey 12.1 mac book pro

I bought fractal not for [Capo]

But ... increase the capo. Everyone that have a band need a good capo.

Best

My guys…. This box of magic cost you less than a deluxe reverb or jcm800. I’m all for being a demanding customer but go buy a pedal and be happy. When I got on the fm3 waitlist in 2020 I knew it didn’t have the horsepower of the III and there’d be a fair few compromises. I’ve been floored by just how much parity they’ve maintained. This is a bummer sure but don’t let it spoil that there is so much good in being an fm3 owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the difference between the VS9 ("Based on Ibanez the TS9 Tube Screamer") and the TS-808 ("Based on the Ibanez™ TS-9® Tube Screamer overdrive")?

Is this an Ugly Bunny burner account?
Haha no, not quite. I agree with the being upset about no pitch block update, but I've stated many times that I use it. I wouldn't at all call it unusable. I was really hoping for the Axe III's pitch, but it is what it is. I know FAS isn't "doing" anything with their customers. They take good care of us, even if that means occasionally not quite meeting our hopes and expectations. In any case, I'm over it. I'm still up for discussing it, but the initial shock/emotion/passion/upset has passed :)

You bought a

My guy…. This box of magic cost you less than a deluxe reverb or jcm800. I’m all for being a demanding customer but go buy a pedal and be happy. When I got on the fm3 waitlist in 2020 I knew it didn’t have the horsepower of the III and there’d be a fair few compromises. I’ve been floored by just how much parity they’ve maintained. This is a bummer sure but don’t let it spoil that there is so much good in being an fm3 owner.
Totally agree with you James.
Like I said, I’m a huge fan of fractal … I have fx3 and fm3.

All the amps, reverbs , etc is awesome ! Everyone agree with it !

Cheers

I am not sure if this was an update problem, but I did 2 updates, well actually 3 with the FM3 edit. But I am using FM3 with FC6 and after the FW beta update I noticed that the FC6 mini displays are way off on contrast and the big blue box is showing hard but the letters are weak. I went into FM3 FC Config to adjust and the FM3 is working perfectly on contrast and brightness, but the FC6 is doing nothing. I looked all over the manuals to find a solution but found none. Before I did the FW upgrade, I also saw that there was an update for the FC6/12, version 1.12 so I went from 1.11 to 1.12 before I did the FW update last night. So I am not sure which caused it and maybe there is a simple solution, but I have no way to simply adjust contrast of the FC6 on its own. I would think it would follow the FM3 adjustments but it isn't. Anyone know of a fix or is this a bug with the firmware? TIA

Oh, and thanks for the updates Fractal. Much appreciated.

Anyone else having trouble with the FAS Buttery amp in particular? I build a preset, all is well and there's sound and everything but when I go to edit the amp parameters the unit (the speakers) goes POP, the screen goes black and nothing works except for a reboot. After rebooting the same thing happens when editing the amp parameters.

All the other amps I had time to try out seemed to work just fine, just the Buttery giving me some attitude. Any advice? The update went through without any trouble, and both the unit and FM3 Edit are updated, though the unit isn't connected to a computer at the moment.

I updated FM3 Edit. But when I try to install the new beta firmware, it says it's not a valid bitmap file and its format cannot be supported.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong or why that's happening

Last edited:
My apologies! The Diffused and Zephyr models were removed at the last minute since the FM3 does not support diffusion in the Delay block.
no problem
thanks for the reply
was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what I was doing wrong
if there was never another update I more than got my
moneys worth

No other company in this space provides the kind of quality, regular, FREE, updates that FAS does, and yet it is never good enough. There is zero logic to buying a product with a prescribed set of capabilities and features, only to then complain when it cannot later do something that was never promised in the first place. My "sport" edition Mazda doesn't have leather seats like the "luxury" version does, and it never will. If you want all the flagship features, buy the flagship unit. The fact that FAS pays people to regularly provide updates to a device that they give away and people still complain about it is mind-blowing. In other news...get off my lawn.

I could be wrong, but my take is that if there's a specific feature that's important to you, then go with the product that has that feature.

Fractal have been pretty transparent about the FM3 not having parity with Axe-FX III, especially processor-intensive features. They've been saying that since the FM3 was announced, even before it first shipped. They've also been up front in saying that not all improvements will make it into the FM3. It seems like they also have a pretty solid track record of figuring out how to make things work when they can.

It's one thing to hope the FM3 gets the upgraded pitch block, and to be disappointed when it doesn't. But people take it a step further, and act like they're owed it. I'm not sure how they're deriving that expectation, except from petulant entitlement.
Ok, but transparent is a yes\no answer. The FM3 has the virtual capo option, but it doesn't work nearly as good as the Axe III... which was updated June 2020. Matt mentioned that the FM3 cant run the pitch block improvements yesterday.

My apologies! The Diffused and Zephyr models were removed at the last minute since the FM3 does not support diffusion in the Delay block.
Thanks, now my first finding makes sense ;-)

Similar thing with the following finding?:

New “S-Taper” option in the Volume Block allows new and improved “Auto-Swell” sounds --> Cannot find this option;

Anyone else having trouble with the FAS Buttery amp in particular? I build a preset, all is well and there's sound and everything but when I go to edit the amp parameters the unit (the speakers) goes POP, the screen goes black and nothing works except for a reboot. After rebooting the same thing happens when editing the amp parameters.

All the other amps I had time to try out seemed to work just fine, just the Buttery giving me some attitude. Any advice? The update went through without any trouble, and both the unit and FM3 Edit are updated, though the unit isn't connected to a computer at the moment.
I'm looking at this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom