FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe something got wrong but all my patches sound squishy, no dynamics whatsoever left. The new reverbs seem to be excellent, weren't it for this overcompressed amps sound whatever the patch. Switched back to 4.01 as I have rehearsals to prepare. Will give this another try in the coming weeks.
Compressor changes...

The release notes say "Auto Attack/Release has been removed from the Pedal and Dynamicomp types as it is no longer applicable."

I still have the Auto Att/Rel button on the Dynacomp.

Whew….just read through the whole thread.🥴 That was quite the adventure.

I sort of have to agree we should probably keep the thread from here on about bugs relating to the F/W as released and not as we hoped. Seems like there are a few bugs with it or just user confusion that would be more helpful to the majority of users. I keep getting older and brain farts are more common so a simple solution to a simple issue is always nice.👍

Maybe something got wrong but all my patches sound squishy, no dynamics whatsoever left. The new reverbs seem to be excellent, weren't it for this overcompressed amps sound whatever the patch. Switched back to 4.01 as I have rehearsals to prepare. Will give this another try in the coming weeks.

If you use compressors in all your presets, that's probably it. I had to update a few patches which were using a compressor.

The release notes say "Auto Attack/Release has been removed from the Pedal and Dynamicomp types as it is no longer applicable."

I still have the Auto Att/Rel button on the Dynacomp.
On the unit or in the editor?

If the latter, did you Refresh After Firmware Update in the editor (assuming you updated it)? In that case, probably best to report in the editor release thread.

If you use compressors in all your presets, that's probably it. I had to update a few patches which were using a compressor.
Compressor on or off didn't change much. Seems definetely amp related. Maybe the input block gate to check. Will give it a try later but do not have the time to tweak too much until next weekend.

Update sounds fantastic! Possible bug, FM3 edit occasionally unresponsive, once displaying the message “authentic layout will be provided in upcoming editor release” for the vs9 drive and then the drive greys out.

What a wonderful update! Thank you very much.
The quality of the sound has improved once again.
With my HSS Stratocaster I often had trouble finding a good balance between singlecoils and the humbucker. Now the humbucker sounds much tighter especially on the wound strings and harmonizes better with the singlecoils.
The update was another step towards perfection.
I am very happy with the FM3.

Compressor on or off didn't change much. Seems definetely amp related. Maybe the input block gate to check. Will give it a try later but do not have the time to tweak too much until next weekend.
Reloaded this early afternoon and all seems OK now. Maybe some fatigue yesterday also late at night.

EDIT : got back for another hour or so on it and, well, this is like tasting a good wine I guess. Very floral in fact ;-)

Last edited:
I believe I'm hearing a clearer and tighter sound from the amps. The CPU on the preset I was on when I downloaded went from 78 to 74 which is great. The amount of new delays is unreal. Wish I was an ambience guy with those. The extra flangers are more my cup of tea. 'cuda is the best one size fits all flange IMO, and I had to figure out "wurm" again for the Starship one. Now I need to get familiar with the new button functions. Great job and thanks to the Fractal team. Was not expecting this much of an update.

Last edited:
I was experimenting last night on my main preset, and it sounded better than I remembered it ever sounding. I can only credit the new firmware. I’m not sure which changes are interacting to make this happen, but I am going to take the FM3 + FC6 combo out to play this week to see how it sounds at stage volume, and am really looking forward to it.

Played my live presets for my tele and 335 last night and this morning. I put a new bridge pickup in the tele (SD Jerry Donahue replaced the Paisley La Brea) so it’s hard to compare on that guitar, but the 335 is definitely clearer and more present. The tuner in heel down mode seems a bit jerky and less fluid visually on the main screen, but otherwise I’ve had no issues. A couple points of CPU saved was a nice bonus as well. As always, thanks so much FAS team! Also, don’t sleep on the JD bridge pickup if you play rock on a tele. That thing smokes!

This is my first Beta, and I have not taken the time read through the 20 page thread, but overall it sounds amazing! Going through a cyclical Rush phase (started in '86) and the Hemisflange and Spirit Flange are great! I tried the Plex Delay and MTD and got CPU overload followed by a complete crash. I was on the Lerxst preset (of course) with all the effects turned off and it still locked up. Not a big deal for me as I don't use fancy delays or reverbs, but thought I would provide the feedback.

Last edited:
I was experimenting last night on my main preset, and it sounded better than I remembered it ever sounding. I can only credit the new firmware. I’m not sure which changes are interacting to make this happen, but I am going to take the FM3 + FC6 combo out to play this week to see how it sounds at stage volume, and am really looking forward to it.
Yeah, I've been playing all day basically, and am a bit baffled that not a bigger deal was made of this in the release notes. Everything sounded great before, and now it's different but in the best of ways. I was thinking it was just sort of placebo on my part, but I guess not?

Also, I seem to be able to cram more stuff into my presets than before, so that's a really nice plus. Especially with the new tasty Plex Delays and Flangers. The optimized reverb algos probably play into that, but I'm stoked either way. As I've said before, this being my first Fractal beta I'm over the moon.

Yeah, I've been playing all day basically, and am a bit baffled that not a bigger deal was made of this in the release notes. Everything sounded great before, and now it's different but in the best of ways. I was thinking it was just sort of placebo on my part, but I guess not?

Also, I seem to be able to cram more stuff into my presets than before, so that's a really nice plus. Especially with the new tasty Plex Delays and Flangers. The optimized reverb algos probably play into that, but I'm stoked either way. As I've said before, this being my first Fractal beta I'm over the moon.
The fully new number Kinda shows it’s a big deal in a way. If it was a minor incremental change for us it would be like 4.02 but since the changes were so much so it deserved 5.0

The fully new number Kinda shows it’s a big deal in a way. If it was a minor incremental change for us it would be like 4.02 but since the changes were so much so it deserved 5.0
Yep, that's a good point. What I guess I was saying was more along the lines of expecting FAS to go "This thing sounds so good we're gonna go ahead and book a couple of full page ads in the newspapers to further hammer it home so even dumbos like that one J-V dude on the forum take notice."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom