FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FM3 has been out for what, 2 years? What did you all do prior to this? If people are incapable of bringing a second guitar, or actually tuning down mid set, I’m curious to hear how this monstrous dilemma was solved prior to computerized algorithms. What comparative product on the market offers a better virtual capo? When you decided to buy a guitar modeler, was it based around its ability to virtually detune your guitar? I’m really struggling to see the other side of this argument..
We used to carry around half stack Marshalls, a rack of heavy power amps (now for the most part they are built into the P.A. speakers) and various hardware, rack mounted effects units, etc, but times have changed so what we used to do is not something we have to go back to due to the compact size of units such as the FM3 and better technologies all across the board. I have not given my opinion on the VC yet and wasn't goin to, but to be honest, I carry 3 guitars now to the gigs, one of which is tuned down, but it would be nice to lighten my load. The VC would be quite convenient and I think that is really the jest of those in favor of it working properly. Being able to push a button and have your drop tuning available that quickly as opposed to stopping the setlist for a couple minutes to strap on another guitar and hope that it didn't go out of tune while it sat there on stage, which would take even longer to switch out, would really be awesome. On top of that, having the VC working properly in the "Fractal" unit, is a big statement for Fractal. I was talking to the other guitarist in our band who is using a rack mounted G Major 2 for some of his harmonies, when speaking of the FM3 the first thing out of his mouth was, "yah, but the FM3 doesn't have a good pitch/drop block" so he is still carrying around his half stack Marshall and rack. Personally, I spent years and years lugging around heavy equipment to gigs and it is so nice to carry something as small as the FM3 and it sounds great. And even tho I can get by without a working VC function in the FM3, which I love, it would simply be nice to have it.

Jesus Christ, I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading complaints about a virtual capo!!! Good lord, people. Bring a second guitar that’s tuned down or take the 45 seconds to tune your guitar down while your singer talks to the crowd. Organize your sets so that tuned down songs are grouped together and work efficiently. It’s not rocket science. I just can’t get over these posts. You bought a guitar modeler to emulate amps, cabs and effects and are complaining about a virtual detune? SMH….

I, for one, don't use the VC. But I won't dismiss any single complaint on the matter, they are as valid as any other. As Fractal solved the burden of carrying amps to the gig, if it helps people to avoid bringing multiple guitars then more power to them!!!

As I always said, if the most common answer to a "Wish" is "buy something else" or "add this or that pedal" then that just validates said wish, don't you all think?

I sadly don’t agree with the argument. Those who bought the FM3 knowingly purchased a unit with 1/4 of the DSP of the Axe 3. To expect it to have the same functionality and features is asinine. The fact that the amp modeling features and most of the effects are the same as the flagship is what makes the unit so amazing. Also, comparing carrying half stacks and 3 guitars to purchasing a small pedal to satisfy your needs doesn’t hold up well either. Fractal just ported a ton of new features to the FM3 and all I’m reading is complaints about a virtual capo that probably represent about 1% of the user base. Most professional gigging musicians know how to get around alternate tuning issues. Maybe there are some words in that last sentence that aren’t applicable here…

A "wish" and an indignant angry rant are two different things. We can all wish for many things in the unit. But, being angry about something that was never promised in the first place should be put into context. $300 for a Drop pedal is frankly pretty insignificant when taking into account the value of all of the gear in the FM3, FM9, or AX3. There are well-emulated versions of $300 pedals in basically every category - drives, delays, reverbs, etc that we all got for less than $1200 total. Not to mention the hundreds of boutique and vintage amps... I'm all for continuing a wishlist - people have come up with some awesome ideas that happened to make sense for the hardware, processors, and CPU, and Fractal has implemented them. But, some items simply cannot be implemented at the current time. Some are niche items that only a small group want, so they aren't prioritized. And none of these things are promised. Find a workaround.

Last edited:
I would remind you that not only VC uses old algos, but all pitch block effects, including the whammy pedal and other stuff based on pitch alteration. It's strange that no one complains about old whammy algo for example

A "wish" and an indignant angry rant are two different things.
You spelled it wrong - it's not spelled 'indignant angry rant'....it's spelled 'whining'.

You can wish for anything to be added to the fractal.
When you post that you're upset (or 'emotional') that the feature you want wished for was not delivered...it's ridiculous. No other word for it.

I sadly don’t agree with the argument. Those who bought the FM3 knowingly purchased a unit with 1/4 of the DSP of the Axe 3. To expect it to have the same functionality and features is asinine. The fact that the amp modeling features and most of the effects are the same as the flagship is what makes the unit so amazing. Also, comparing carrying half stacks and 3 guitars to purchasing a small pedal to satisfy your needs doesn’t hold up well either. Fractal just ported a ton of new features to the FM3 and all I’m reading is complaints about a virtual capo that probably represent about 1% of the user base. Most professional gigging musicians know how to get around alternate tuning issues. Maybe there are some words in that last sentence that aren’t applicable here…
Its just your opinion, you have spoken out quite a bit, why not leave it alone? To make statements that some who "wish" to have a working VC are most likely not professional is quite a stretch. If you don't care about having a VC then all is great for you. To each their own. But you don't have to be a dick about it. And who is arguing? I don't see any arguments here, just desires and wishes. Nothing wrong with that, that is what moves the world forward. Someone has a vision of something, they bring a team together and they create it. That is how the world of creativity functions. If no one wanted anything, not much would be here.

You spelled it wrong - it's not spelled 'indignant angry rant'....it's spelled 'whining'.

You can wish for anything to be added to the fractal.
When you post that you're upset (or 'emotional') that the feature you want wished for was not delivered...it's ridiculous. No other word for it.

I posted an idea to tackle this problem (quality mode like in the reverbs), you and other are calling me "whining" or "having first world problems" - in an objectively-based discussion, which approach is better in your opinion? ;)
I closed this topic for me - the drop pedal is doing the job and I can move on - you too? :D

"If people incapable of bring a second guitar ..." Like I said, you missed the point of this whole discussion ...
Like I wrote - and many others - the wish for an updated pitch was communicated many many times (wish thread, forum, Facebook, ...) and the wish was actually closed in January. It's quite big deal for many - you see how emotional this discussion became :) Because the FM9 got the update before, I think the majority of us thought that this will for sure come (it was actually addressed in the forum that they are working on it) and after posting the beta without any initial further comments, we were still in hope - later on, a comment cleared the topic that the FM3 is not capable due to CPU limitations.
I think hoping and waiting for so many months to then just get a no by a side-comment was hard to swallow. That's it.

Like I said - I think all Fractal uses really appreciate every kind of update. I'm super happy to see updates :)
Soundwise, I'm happy where the FM3 is right now - with all other gear I had in the last ... whatever years, I always felt the need to change something here and there - not with the FM3 ;)
I only hoped to get rid of a last pedal - no deal-breaker for me now, just really the first time to read that something cannot be done for sure.

I'm happy to see the finished 5.0 and I'm really excited to hear all improvements! :)
They didn’t ignore the wish. It is just not possible at this time.

If the Digitech drop pedal is the answer (I have the Whammy V)...honestly it feels the bar is set pretty low. Don't get me wrong, I love my Whammy V and have kept it for many years vs using pitch effects within multi units when doing what it does as the tracking is solid and it sounds great (again for what it does) but the latency it adds is noticeable and it doesn't sound completely natural moving beyond a few semitones. I just spent 10 minutes comparing them and honestly, the current virtual Capo IMHO is pretty darn close, maybe a slight bit more latency, the difference being a subtle "beating" in the VC when playing chords vs a slight emphasis of some atonal harmonics in the Whammy V both of which get worse the further you move from your guitar's tuning.

The point isn't that there aren't work-arounds, or that this is a broken promise by Fractal (which it isn't).
They made a good-faith effort to port the algorithm and found out it was harder than anticipated given available processing power.

The point is that some people feel a good VC would add significant value to the FM-3 by letting people NOT have to bring an extra detuned guitar to the gig OR have to buy an external pedal to handle this function. Some have also noted that a competing product (Helix) seems to be able to do this better than the existing FM-3 VC.

This is known as useful feedback from your customers, not whining (even if I agree that some of the disappointment has been a little over the top).

Back to the point: great stuff IS included in the update. I look forward to spending more time with it.

Hi guys, Fractal doesn’t seem to be greedy with software updates, if they can do it, it’s sad that the hardware doesn’t pull out, but this is life, everything ever gets old, but FM3 is pretty good and I think it will last a long time.

I am grateful to FAS for making the best creative tool I could have ever asked for at a very reasonable price. I have written more songs in the last 6 months than I have in over 20 years.

I installed the beta yesterday and every preset that I checked out seems cleaner with better low end. I also appreciate them constantly updating and making their products better, engaging customers, and having top notch customer service. Thanks FAS!!!

The FM3 has been out for what, 2 years? What did you all do prior to this? If people are incapable of bringing a second guitar, or actually tuning down mid set, I’m curious to hear how this monstrous dilemma was solved prior to computerized algorithms. What comparative product on the market offers a better virtual capo? When you decided to buy a guitar modeler, was it based around its ability to virtually detune your guitar? I’m really struggling to see the other side of this argument..
I carried a rack-mounted Axe-FX III and an FC-6 and used the AF3 VC. I could continue to do that, but I prefer my FM3 rig, which is just a small pedalboard. It's not a monstrous dilemma, it's just a desire to have a great VC capability in the smallest rig they offer. Regarding other products, some have stated that the Line6 Helix pitch shifting is better than the FM3's, but I have not yet confirmed that.

New Beta 5 sounds impossibly good. Two issues I've encountered.

1. While editing a scene level to balance volume. I switched between scene 1 and scene 3. The unit froze up and sounded just like a guitar plugged into an interface (no amp, effect, cab, etc.) Reboot solved issue but that's a big issue going for solo and unit freezing.

2. With the PlexDly block on say scene 2 or any other scene, when I switch it off or switch to a different scene where it's off, I get an odd digital signal popping sound. Even with volume off, it will make the digital pop. I've tried spillover on and off to no avail.

Attachments

• Luke Worship BE.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom