FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

^Yes. Constantly.

But as much as I would like FAS to hit the release-button (I'm imagining there being a big red one at their HQ), I'd rather they really cross their eyes and dot their t's, or something like that, before release, even a public beta one.

If that means it's going to take a while longer, then that's what needs to happen. I guess I'll decouple myself from the computer and go spend some quality time with the family and eat obscene amounts of ham.

^Yes. Constantly.

But as much as I would like FAS to hit the release-button (I'm imagining there being a big red one at their HQ), I'd rather they really cross their eyes and dot their t's, or something like that, before release, even a public beta one.

If that means it's going to take a while longer, then that's what needs to happen. I guess I'll decouple myself from the computer and go spend some quality time with the family and eat obscene amounts of ham.
I just picked up NDSP's Archetype: Petrucci, so that's successfully pulled me away from all my fractal gear for the foreseeable future except for when I'm playing with my cover band, so realistically I can wait indefinitely now for this update. I just like new shiny toys lol.

I just picked up NDSP's Archetype: Petrucci, so that's successfully pulled me away from all my fractal gear for the foreseeable future except for when I'm playing with my cover band, so realistically I can wait indefinitely now for this update. I just like new shiny toys lol.
I've heard good things about it, but never really got into the plugin game myself. I guess it's the being connected to a computer all the time that irks me. I even prefer using the FM3 on it's own as opposed to via FM3 Edit, even though it's still in my opinion by far the best computer editor I've come across in regards to guitar gear.

Good to hear you're having fun with it, the tones certainly seem to there. And I wholeheartedly agree with you on new shiny toys!

Going back to the original post title (FW 4.01) I have a simple question.
My FM3 is on FW 4.01, but my presets are still tagged 4.00.
If I open a single preset, and then I simply click on “Save”on FM3 Edit…does this operation tag that preset as a 4.01 version?

I've heard good things about it, but never really got into the plugin game myself. I guess it's the being connected to a computer all the time that irks me. I even prefer using the FM3 on it's own as opposed to via FM3 Edit, even though it's still in my opinion by far the best computer editor I've come across in regards to guitar gear.

Good to hear you're having fun with it, the tones certainly seem to there. And I wholeheartedly agree with you on new shiny toys!
Yeah, I was never into plugins either, until I realized there's little difference between being plugged into my Axe Fx III which goes into my interface and then out to my studio speakers, or being plugged directly into my interface that sits 18 inches beside my Axe Fx III which, after being processed by the plugin in my Mac, goes right back out to the same speakers. It's got low enough latency that it's more or less the same - probably a few more ms latency that the fractal gear (which sits around 3ms), but not deal-breaking, and the pitch shifting is top notch.

But like I said, it's not something I'd ever consider performing with or replacing my Fractal gear. The NDSP stuff is great, although I'm not a fan of the QC (but I won't talk smack about it here - I've been warned about that).

Yeah, I was never into plugins either, until I realized there's little difference between being plugged into my Axe Fx III which goes into my interface and then out to my studio speakers, or being plugged directly into my interface that sits 18 inches beside my Axe Fx III which, after being processed by the plugin in my Mac, goes right back out to the same speakers. It's got low enough latency that it's more or less the same - probably a few more ms latency that the fractal gear (which sits around 3ms), but not deal-breaking, and the pitch shifting is top notch.
This makes sense in all the right ways.

My set up for pretty much everything guitar related is much more ad hoc, the gear just follows me around and rarely is there a time that me, the gear (guitar and FM3 mostly) and my laptop are in the same room, let alone connected. It works for me, but at the same time I realize it is suboptimal, to say the least, for most folks.

Going back to the original post title (FW 4.01) I have a simple question.
My FM3 is on FW 4.01, but my presets are still tagged 4.00.
If I open a single preset, and then I simply click on “Save”on FM3 Edit…does this operation tag that preset as a 4.01 version?
I believe so... But why worry about it?

That doesn't really make any difference other than you won't need able to open them on previous FW versions.

I believe so... But why worry about it?

That doesn't really make any difference other than you won't need able to open them on previous FW versions.
Thank you.
I bought the unit this summer, and it was my first FAS product. I was totally unexperienced. So I opened few factory presets and started to change things randomly and I think I saved some undesirable things on factory presets.
Now I want to download (from FAS site) the entire preset collection to overwrite my messed presets. They will be FW4.0.1
I only have a single custom preset (Leon Todd Friedman one) added to the collection, and I wonder if saving it under the new FW environment could tag it as 4.0.1 version, as it would be the only one from the older FW. Just for uniforming the FW situation inside the unit.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I bought the unit this summer, and it was my first FAS product. I was totally unexperienced. So I opened few factory presets and started to change things randomly and I think I saved some undesirable things on factory presets.
Now I want to download (from FAS site) the entire preset collection to overwrite my messed presets. They will be FW4.0.1
I only have a single custom preset (Leon Todd Friedman one) added to the collection, and I wonder if saving it under the new FW environment could tag it as 4.0.1 version, as it would be the only one from the older FW. Just for uniforming the FW situation inside the unit.
You can certainly do it... But it won't affect anything as far as the preset functionality.

5.0 is undergoing another round of private beta.

Hi Admin M@ !

Thanks for the update - I'm guessing / assuming then that realistically puts the FM3 5.0 Public Beeta [ :) ] Release at around Week 2 or Week 3 of Jan 2022 or thereabouts (?)

All the best,
Ben

Last edited:
More importantly, how do we get in on this private beta testing?

Typically private beta is by invitation only, extended to a diverse group of people who have caught lots of bugs, who use the code or unit in situations where it’s going to be exercised a lot of different ways. They’ve proven their ability to isolate issues and explain them. You'll see an acknowledgement in a lot of their signatures when they post; they're the software-war veterans who are scarred up and walk with a cane and shout a lot.

Over the years I was in alpha, private-beta and beta testing for a lot of software, and it can consume a lot of time - I also wrote a sh*t-ton of software for our own projects being tech-lead. The idea of alpha or beta testing seems to a lot of people like they'd be a fighter test-pilot, or living in the wild-west, but it's not glamorous and often is frustrating because things can go completely wrong in unforeseen ways, then we'd have to recreate the scenario, try it again to see if it was repeatable, then write it up and send it in, then possibly rollback the system and wait for an update.

The open-beta is a little less taxing as the private-beta people have taken bullets for those who follow after. 99% of the people should be in open-beta IF they can actually contribute, otherwise they're wise to stay away. Every time we see a beta cycle start, people begin complaining because of problem X that is already documented and they didn't read the release notes, or problem Y but they don't dig in and determine it's because of something they did, or problem Z and they didn't figure out how to recreate it and wrote a lousy note that doesn't tell anyone anything useful. In other words, there's no glamour, and it's serious and it can be hard, sometimes tedious, work.

Regarding the beta-cycle being extended: There are phases to development, and during alpha new features are added to the code, followed by beta which is supposed to be feature-complete and needs to be tested for bugs. Adding features during beta always caused our cycles to revert back to alpha so we could do our in-house testing again, prior to passing it out to the private-beta people, then eventually to the open-beta. Not every company follows that methodology but that's the general idea, and it explains why they rolled back to private-beta again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update - I'm guessing / assuming then that realistically puts the FM3 5.0 Public Beeta [ :) ] Release at around Week 2 or Week 3 of Jan 2022 or thereabouts (?)
That can't be determined from the code rolling back to private-beta. Sometimes everything works perfectly and a team can roll to open-beta right away, other times the testers find things that require going back to the drawing-board, and the cycle lasts longer. There are a lot of things that influence the speed of the testing cycles.

Back
Top Bottom