FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

Everything fine here, no issues with the mini displays and it sounds great!
The only doubt I have is about the factory cabs; they all show up as standard res (green), however if I switch the cab block to Ultra, my impression is that they sound different... it doesn't make any sense...

Everything fine here, no issues with the mini displays and it sounds great!
The only doubt I have is about the factory cabs; they all show up as standard res (green), however if I switch the cab block to Ultra, my impression is that they sound different... it doesn't make any sense...
there is currently and FM3 edit issue displaying I think

Frankly speaking, I have a big problem with flashing leds. It disturbs me emotionally.

I have done a wish today asking for a global preference for enabling/disabling the flashing behaviours.
I generally hate flashing too, but if you mean the Preset Select flashing, you can disable this by setting your bank switches to load the first preset in the new bank. The flashing otherwise is not gratuitous: it tells you that the FM3 is waiting for a selection.

Wondering since people report no-to-little CPU increase from the new drives in FM3, could it be possible that Axe-Fx 3 gets a similar update to improve CPU? I remember the new drives modeling in Axe-Fx 3 ate larger %. Or may be FM3 utilizes lighter but a bit less accurate algorithms?
It is not that I'm lacking the CPU power in Axe, just curious.

So far, I don't have the unresponsive Out 2 issue or the left scribble strip issue. Winning?
Bugs are weird like that. I haven’t ever experienced those either. Just the one that’s been confirmed for ultra res not showing properly color wise

Not experiencing any of the bugs mentioned earlier. I am however experiencing major bliss from these new drives. They seem way more dynamic and when you turn the gain up they get really hairy, in a good way, loving it.

Fantastic update!

Noob question- New FM3 inbound. I downloaded FM3 edit just yesterday - new version 3.01.03. But I’ve decided I’m not going to update to the new beta firmware and just run on 3.02. Will the new FM3 edit version run the 3.02 firmware, or do I need to reinstall the FM3 edit version I originally loaded a few days ago?

Quick question: if I use output 2, and need to control it, I’ll have a problem with 3.03?

QQ#2 do we know what causes the foot switch issue, and is there a workaround?

Thank you Fractal for the great update!

The drive pedals are amazing - I come from the AX8 and have always avoided using it's drive pedals because they sounded too artificial. That was a lot better in the previous firmware for the FM3, but now it's great!
Only the 'Low Cut' parameter needs to be fixed, but that has already been described by other users.

I also have to admit that I was very skeptical whether the 'Ultra-Res' IRs even make sense, but I have to say I'm very surprised how they change the space.
To test it, I created a simple dry preset with the 'ShivaClean' amp (do not use time-based effects such as reverb or delay!) and loaded the same IR 'Legacy # 188' (4x12 G12H Creamback Mix) twice into the cab block and panned hard L / R . First I had to learn what to listen to: with headphones I switched one of the two IRs to 'Ultra-Res'. You can then immediately recognize the impression of the room in one ear, which is cut off in the 'Standard' IR.

So far I have no problem with the bug with the left display mentioned by other users - everything works as before for me so far.

Thank you Fractal for the great update!

The drive pedals are amazing - I come from the AX8 and have always avoided using it's drive pedals because they sounded too artificial. That was a lot better in the previous firmware for the FM3, but now it's great!
Only the 'Low Cut' parameter needs to be fixed, but that has already been described by other users.

I also have to admit that I was very skeptical whether the 'Ultra-Res' IRs even make sense, but I have to say I'm very surprised how they change the space.
To test it, I created a simple dry preset with the 'ShivaClean' amp (do not use time-based effects such as reverb or delay!) and loaded the same IR 'Legacy # 188' (4x12 G12H Creamback Mix) twice into the cab block and panned hard L / R . First I had to learn what to listen to: with headphones I switched one of the two IRs to 'Ultra-Res'. You can then immediately recognize the impression of the room in one ear, which is cut off in the 'Standard' IR.

So far I have no problem with the bug with the left display mentioned by other users - everything works as before for me so far.
Agreed , the Ultrares is an interesting thing , i had a AF3
and when i got the FM3 it just never sounded quite the same , and I would hear it in demos comparing the AX3 and FM3 and it drove me crazy , i hear it most on multi
mic mixes of my 3rd party irs
it bugged me enough that i reached out to the IR producer and explained what differences i was hearing and they gave me a work around which was essentially
use 2 irs. A bit of eq in front of the cab block and some setting to add some room , it sounded better but never quite was the same as just pulling up the producer mixes in my AX3 that sounded amazing

so i am super happy now to be able to reload the mic mixes i used previously and have that sound back

My output level knobs 1 and 2 have become completely unresponsive on presets where I don't reset them. They do nothing. Never seen this before with any beta update. I don't know if this is expected behavior with this being beta but its a new thing for me coming from 3.02.

for this beta is a system reset wise globally?

This is how FM3 Edit 1.03.03 shows now the cab block. Clicking the IR length you select Standard or Ultra.
The second cab is standard, so it's green.
The first one is Ultra, so it's purple.
My one main 21.3mS 1024 sample length 48KHz IR shows as purple text in FM3-Edit so I'm not entirely sure about all of this. It's definitely not an UltraRes IR as it's generated via a program and that .wav file is dropped into FM3-Edit for import with no other processing of the file.

I have three variants of the same IR (same length, etc. just EQ tweaks) and two showed up in italic/green text and the main one showed in regular/purple text after upgrading to 3.03 beta.

Refreshing the cabs in FM3-Edit (via the Cab Manage screen) didn't fix any of that but they all sounded correct. I had to reload the two that the text was showing italicized/green to get them consistent with my main IR (as far as the text and color) after the refresh.

I ultimately reloaded all of them from .wav files, refreshed Cab Manage, and tested sonically to ensure all was well just to be sure.

Just reporting my observations after the installation of 3.03 beta.

And yes, the Drives are indeed different and sound/feel very very good....another awesome job FAS!!! Particularly that you've updated/improved the drives without a CPU increase....very impressive all around....!

Last edited:
My one main 21.3mS 1024 sample length 48KHz IR shows as purple text in FM3-Edit so I'm not entirely sure about all of this. It's definitely not an UltraRes IR as it's generated via a program and that .wav file is dropped into FM3-Edit for import with no other processing of the file.

I have three variants of the same IR (same length, etc. just EQ tweaks) and two showed up in italic/green text and the main one showed in regular/purple text after upgrading to 3.03 beta.

Refreshing the cabs in FM3-Edit (via the Cab Manage screen) didn't fix any of that but they all sounded correct. I had to reload the two that the text was showing italicized/green to get them consistent with my main IR (as far as the text and color) after the refresh.

I ultimately reloaded all of them from .wav files, refreshed Cab Manage, and tested sonically to ensure all was well just to be sure.

Just reporting my observations after the installation of 3.03 beta.

And yes, the Drives are indeed different and sound/feel very very good....another awesome job FAS!!! Particularly that you've updated/improved the drives without a CPU increase....very impressive all around....!
The color represents the format they were saved into the fm3/axe the moment you loaded them via manage-cabs. You can choose the format there.
Anyway if it's a 1024 samples IR the format won't matter for the sonic result, the extra samples will be just silence and you'd just be wasting CPU using ultrares

Back
Top Bottom