Fm3 + FC6 or MC6

JPS225

Inspired
I've had the Fm3 for almost 2 months and I'm loving the sounds (and uprade from the Helix floor for me). I purchased the Morningstar MC6 to control it initially, then last week I impluse purchased and FC6. The OMG9 setup is nice, and it's great to have the units looking the same, however, I'm not sure the FC6 is worth the huge price. Feel free to convince me i'm wrong, but at a little over $200 for the MC6 can do most things. I'll admit, the switch spacing and the larger display on the FC6 is nice. Anyone used both of these?

I've had the Fm3 for almost 2 months and I'm loving the sounds (and uprade from the Helix floor for me). I purchased the Morningstar MC6 to control it initially, then last week I impluse purchased and FC6. The OMG9 setup is nice, and it's great to have the units looking the same, however, I'm not sure the FC6 is worth the huge price. Feel free to convince me i'm wrong, but at a little over $200 for the MC6 can do most things. I'll admit, the switch spacing and the larger display on the FC6 is nice. Anyone used both of these?

See my answer here...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/piratemidi-bridge-6-alternate-to-fc6.172694/

I think it depends on your use. If you use it live, hitting the wrong button on the MC6 just one time will make you regret using it (in my opinion). If you don't use it live and you're just goofing around at home, the MC6 is fine.

Whatever you think you'll be happy with. Both are good devices.

I got the FM3 to have a smaller pedalboard
I got the MC6 to have a smaller pedalboard.

FC6 is too big for my needs.

I got the FM3 to have a smaller pedalboard
I got the MC6 to have a smaller pedalboard.

FC6 is too big for my needs.
That was my plan too. Place that FM3 and MC6, along with a expression pedal on a smaller board for easy set up and transport.

I think it depends on your use. If you use it live, hitting the wrong button on the MC6 just one time will make you regret using it (in my opinion). If you don't use it live and you're just goofing around at home, the MC6 is fine.

Whatever you think you'll be happy with. Both are good devices.
I have use the MC6 a couple of times, and I did accidently step on 2 switches at once while playing and singing. That's what made me impulse the FC6, but the cost is just killing me at over $500. Not to mention it's footprint. But, I also didn't hit extra switches..lol. I'm working on a set up now were the 3 buttons on FM3 are set for my main scenes and the MC6 has 3 patches at the top row and 3 lesser used scenes on the bottom.

I have an FM3, FC6, MC6, and MC8.

In the context of interfacing with and controlling the FM3, the MC6 is superior in terms of dimensions and price. The FC6 is superior in every other way.

I ordered an MC8 for my FM3 on a whim thinking that 8 buttons for $300 is better than the FC6 with 6 buttons for $500. It took me about 4 hours with the MC8 to program one preset with 8 scenes, and I'm a pretty fast-learning technical person. To me, it was way more complex than programming switches FM3/FC6. The extra complexity plus the extra cables needed (2 midi cables + a power adapter) and the extra software editor needed made me realize that extra buttons and $200 savings wasn't worth it. I've already resold the MC8 and will be getting an FC6.

I ordered an MC8 for my FM3 on a whim thinking that 8 buttons for $300 is better than the FC6 with 6 buttons for $500. It took me about 4 hours with the MC8 to program one preset with 8 scenes, and I'm a pretty fast-learning technical person. To me, it was way more complex than programming switches FM3/FC6. The extra complexity plus the extra cables needed (2 midi cables + a power adapter) and the extra software editor needed made me realize that extra buttons and $200 savings wasn't worth it. I've already resold the MC8 and will be getting an FC6.
This.

I don't personally have experience with the MC controllers, but I did program my HX stomp to send midi to the FM3 when I had it. The seamlessness and flexibility of the FC-6 justifies the cost IMO. I thought it was expensive at first as well, but once the money is spent, I don't even think about it.

Yep as opposed to the 5 minutes to load OMG9 from the default layouts
sometimes you pay not only just for products but convenience as my grandfather used to say

I have the mc8 on the way. I would have went with the fc6 except for the size would require a new pedalboard and I didn’t want to do that.

I have the MC8 and am still contemplating the FC6 down the line. I have no doubt that the FC6 is completely superior interfacing with the FM3 and AXE III, but what held me back was that it only works with the FM3 and Axe III and can't be a midi device on it's own that made me pass. And I have a slight fear it may not end up working with whatever turns out to be the Axe IV which I am certain to buy.

The switch spacing on the MC8 is supposedly 1/8 inch wider then the MC6 (which means barely wider), and I can say the MC8 switches are really close. I ended up putting barefoot toppers on the 4 middle footswitches and that has made a real big difference. The outside switches are easy to hit without stepping on the inside ones because you can put your foot to the extreme left or right depending on the switch. Then if I am trying to hit any of the middle ones, if I am over a middle and side switch, the middle will engage because it is elevated with the topper.

As far as programming, I think if you want the switches to be named like the scenes of individual presets, it could take forever to program if you use a bunch of patches. Me, I just programmed it to say "Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3...". Took 15 minutes, done.

All that said if you are looking for something explicitly to use with the FM3 and are not worried using it with anything else (other then the Axe III of course), I can't see how the FC6 doesn't blow the MC6 or 8 out of the water.

I have both FM3 and the FC6. while I'm guessing other options are more attractive for cost value I'm loving the integration and simplicity of using the FC6. The resale of your FC6 is in demand and if you sell it I'm sure you'll get close to all of your money back should off it. My recommendation keep it you may regret selling it.

Back
Top Bottom