FM3 Fan issues after Cygnus

Hi all!

I hope this isn't already a thread, please let me know if it is!

I love my FM3. Great tones, and after Cygnus, the amp models sound even better to me!

I have never had an issue with the fan sounding noisy/loud on my FM3, but after updating to the 4.0 Beta, my FM3's fan turns up to max (I'm assuming it's max) and it is extremely loud. After restarting the FM3, it stays quiet for about 2-3 minutes until the fan fires up again. I'm on a preset that uses only about 60% CPU.

Just wanted to make this known, if this is a bug or if I should be looking out for something else? (Cleaning my fan, etc).

Never heard a fan running since FW1.05. What's the temperature your FM3 is reporting? (you can find it in Setup/Utilities/Version)
The fan should kick at 60C running on low RPM and at 70C switch to hi RPM. At 55C the fan stops.

In FW1.5 the temperature readout was switched from ambient inside the enclosure to being read directly from DSP chip, I believe.

Make sure your vents are not obstructed (sides and the bottom fan exhaust).

Great advice, I can definitely try to make sure the vents aren’t blocked..
But they weren’t really blocked before, and the issue still stands that I didn’t have this problem in firmware 3.03 beta. In fact, I just went back to 3.03 to test and no fan issues

then came back to 4.00 and the fan is going wild again.

I’ve compared 3.03 and 4.0 a few times with the same results.

Never heard a fan running since FW1.05. What's the temperature your FM3 is reporting? (you can find it in Setup/Utilities/Version)
The fan should kick at 60C running on low RPM and at 70C switch to hi RPM. At 55C the fan stops.
Will check the temperature when I get home!

I would hope u can use the unit outdoors in the heat without issue- outdoor fests/shows are common in my working experience.
Of course you can use FM3 outdoors in the heat. The fan may run in that case to cool it down. You wouldn't even hear it during a gig.

The OP issue is that fan runs at room temperature indoors, I believe.

Of course you can use FM3 outdoors in the heat. The fan may run in that case to cool it down. You wouldn't even hear it during a gig.

The OP issue is that fan runs at room temperature indoors, I believe.
Thanks for helping out guys, I know it doesn't seem like a big problem... I just never had the fan run before like that!!!

Just to clear up what my issue is -- I don't mind the fan running if it NEEDS to. But my concern is that it never ran at that speed before, so is it running now because of some malfunction? Or something else? That's all really :D

I put my FM3 on a solid wood top. It is elevated ---

I don't have this issue when Beta 3.01 is loaded. It only popped up when I loaded up 4.00 :(
I did notice a bit extra heat after loading the latest firmware. Keeping the unit on for like half an hour, the meter can go beyond 55 c

Yep, 1st time I've noticed the unit feeling a little hotter than it used to since 4.0 - fan noise not an issue for me, its either not kicked in or its whisper quiet.

I updated to 4.00 beta 2 and my fan never shut off in the 20 minutes I played. I never heard it turn on or run prior to today.

Back
Top Bottom