FM3 Edit Selecting Scene 1

Madtone

I’ve setup the FM3 unit to automatically select the first scene in a preset. When I change preset on the unit with the footswitches this works no matter what number scene I’m in when switching presets. However if I use the editor to go into scenes 4-6 for example on one preset and then change to another preset on the editor it doesn’t then select scene 1 and I have to manually select scene 1 on the editor.

A minor inconvenience I know but I’d like the unit to switch to scene 1 each time when changing preset on the editor in the same way as it does with footswitches.

I’m sure I’m missing something, can’t seem to find an answer in the documentation. Is this normal behaviour or perhaps operator error on my part.

I’ve setup the FM3 unit to automatically select the first scene in a preset. When I change preset on the unit with the footswitches this works no matter what number scene I’m in when switching presets. However if I use the editor to go into scenes 4-6 for example on one preset and then change to another preset on the editor it doesn’t then select scene 1 and I have to manually select scene 1 on the editor.

A minor inconvenience I know but I’d like the unit to switch to scene 1 each time when changing preset on the editor in the same way as it does with footswitches.

I’m sure I’m missing something, can’t seem to find an answer in the documentation. Is this normal behaviour or perhaps operator error on my part.
When you use FM3 edit and switch to a new preset it always load the saved preset... so if the preset was saved when the scene was the nr 4, the preset will start with scene nr 4.

Not an operator error nor a wrong behaviour

When you use FM3 edit and switch to a new preset it always load the saved preset... so if the preset was saved when the scene was the nr 4, the preset will start with scene nr 4.

Not an operator error nor a wrong behaviour

Thanks for confirming. I’ll just have to get used to it then 😃

Which Firmware version and FM3 Edit version are you running? I'm running FW 8.00 Beta 1 with FM3 version 1.06.08 and have the Default Scene set to 'Scene 1'. When changing scenes in a preset then selecting a different preset, either in FM3 Edit or with the switches on the FM3, it works as expected - Scene 1 loads in the new preset.

Which Firmware version and FM3 Edit version are you running? I'm running FW 8.00 Beta 1 with FM3 version 1.06.08 and have the Default Scene set to 'Scene 1'. When changing scenes in a preset then selecting a different preset, either in FM3 Edit or with the switches on the FM3, it works as expected - Scene 1 loads in the new preset.
Same as you, FW 8.00 Beta 1 and the latest FM3 edit. What if you go into scene 4 in a preset on edit and then change to a different preset on edit, does it return to scene 1 on the unit?

To be clear, you have the Global Default Scene value set to "1"?

To be clear, you have the Global Default Scene value set to "1"?
Yes that’s correct. I’m now confused as to what is the correct behaviour should be in this instance. How JoKeR III describes it is how I thought and how I hoped it would work. How Riccardo Ros describes it I could understand it working like that too and I’d have to get used to that workflow.
Is there a further setting I’m missing?

Yes that’s correct. I’m now confused as to what is the correct behaviour should be in this instance. How JoKeR III describes it is how I thought and how I hoped it would work. How Riccardo Ros describes it I could understand it working like that too and I’d have to get used to that workflow.
For it to work as @Riccardo Ros stated, the Default Scene would need to be set to "As Saved". The only other options are the eight scene numbers and when one is selected as the Default Scene, presets should load to that scene every time.

If this is still not happening with your FM3, I would suggest contacting Fractal Support to see if they have any ideas to resolve this. It is not normal or expected behavior to have a preset load to scene 4, or any other scene, if "Scene 1" is selected as the Default Scene in the SETUP menu.

It should work as @JoKeR III commented if you've got the setting I mentioned.

It works that way for FM9 and Axe Fx III... I haven't validated on FM3 since my son is using mine at this time.

So I’ve run through this again and think there is possibly a bug or a problem with my unit.
Here’s the best I can come up with to demonstrate.

On FM3
Set to select Scene 1 in global settings
IMG_0121.jpeg
Select via footswitch scene 6 in a preset
Select with footswitch a different preset - defaults to scene 1
FM edit mirrors this.

On FM edit
Set to scene 7 in a preset
IMG_0128.jpeg
Select a different preset - defaults to scene 1 on FM edit and on FM3 display
IMG_0129.jpegIMG_0130.jpeg
but footswitch display stays on scene 7 for newly selected preset.
IMG_0131.jpeg

It’s not a big problem in the great scheme of things, just a tad annoying.
Am I going mad or is this not normal.

So I’ve run through this again and think there is possibly a bug or a problem with my unit.
Here’s the best I can come up with to demonstrate.

On FM3
Set to select Scene 1 in global settings
View attachment 139275
Select via footswitch scene 6 in a preset
Select with footswitch a different preset - defaults to scene 1
FM edit mirrors this.

On FM edit
Set to scene 7 in a preset
View attachment 139276
Select a different preset - defaults to scene 1 on FM edit and on FM3 display
View attachment 139277View attachment 139278
but footswitch display stays on scene 7 for newly selected preset.
View attachment 139279

It’s not a big problem in the great scheme of things, just a tad annoying.
Am I going mad or is this not normal.
So just the foot switch stays on Scene 7?

It’s because you changed to the View that shows Scene 7 and changing presets does not change to another View.

Scene 7 isn’t Selected. you can see that on the main screen of the unit. Scene 1 is..

Your switches are just showing the Scene 7 switch. A Preset change from Edit doesn't affect what the footswitches change to.

the Default Scene parameter does not change your footswitches. what if you didn't have a Scene 1 switch set anywhere? what would it change to?

Last edited:
Scene 7 isn’t Selected. you can see that on the main screen of the unit. Scene 1 is.
Correct, I just thought it would change the footswitch to the correctly selected scene as well.

the Default Scene parameter does not change your footswitches. what if you didn't have a Scene 1 switch set anywhere? what would it change to?
If I change from scene 1 to scene 2 in a preset (except after changing presets) on the FM edit it does change the footswitch.

This is why I’m confused as to how this operates.

If I change from scene 1 to scene 2 in a preset (except after changing presets) on the FM edit it does change the footswitch.

This is why I’m confused as to how this operates.
interesting. To my knowledge there is no function that makes the hardware footswitches change Layouts or Views when just changing Scenes using the Editor.

interesting. To my knowledge there is no function that makes the hardware footswitches change Layouts or Views when just changing Scenes using the Editor.
Thanks. I’ve done more tests to confirm. What you say is indeed the case, I had got a bit confused with my earlier testing.

It does change only if you’re in the first three scenes.

I’ll do a wish post soon 😀

Back
Top Bottom