FM3 DI Troubleshooting

So first: I agree that clip you posted sounds wrong. The signal into the preset isn't hot enough. You're not mistaken.

But, I can't see anything wrong in your system settings. Your system settings, on my FM3, with that BE preset and everything sounds crunchy good.

Have you tried another guitar cable? The problem definitely seems to be somewhere between your guitar and the input to the grid on the preset. So let's start at the back of the chain and work forward from there.
Sure what do you suggest? Yes I tried planet waves, daddario, fender cable i have a bunch here. They all worked great with the other units however

Glenn the reason I mentioned the DI is because when my fm3 works well the DI looks totally different also. It looks chunkier and bigger. I thought that was going to be a good help for you guys since I found those very related that is why I uploaded old pics of how DI looked when the fm3 was working ok.
I understand, but you're confusing cause and effect. The problem is you have low input signal to the grid for some reason. Maybe the trouble is outside of the FM3, or maybe it's inside the FM3. Either way, boosting that input makes it sound better, but doesn't fix the problem. The only thing for certain is: there is nothing wrong with your DI.

This sounds crazy but sometimes with the other unit just turning it off and on solved the problem. But it doesn’t solve the problem anymore turning the unit off and on. Even hard reset and the whole cycle of installing latest firmware+ presets. I have a backup of Austin buddy presets I bought and they sound horrible now (the same thing a sound with no balls at all)

Guys I will be so grateful if you help me solve this issue that I will give you a free guitar lesson to anyone that is interested. We can talk about this later. I don’t really want to give up on fractal (I know I mentioned this so many times) but I am being serious. I know you are helping for good but If you really help me solve this issue I’ll give you a free guitar lesson with a feedback session and a structured plan to improve your playing.

I understand, but you're confusing cause and effect. The problem is you have low input signal to the grid for some reason. Maybe the trouble is outside of the FM3, or maybe it's inside the FM3. Either way, boosting that input makes it sound better, but doesn't fix the problem. The only thing for certain is: there is nothing wrong with your DI.
Sure. Just trying to help when I mentioned the DI.

What do you suggest Glenn?

So to summarize:
  • Your system settings have been checked and are fine
  • You're using a preset which sounds fine to others
  • Youve tried using headphones, same issue
  • Youve tried plugging the guitar into input1 and 2, same issue
  • You've tried multiple guitar cables into input1 and input 2, same issue
  • You're using a furman power conditioner

Overall the gain hitting the preset seems to be weak.
Sometimes it works with a reset, the same setup can sound fine, but at the moment its completely stuffed.
When you sent the last 3 units back to FAS they don't see an issue

So first: I agree that clip you posted sounds wrong. The signal into the preset isn't hot enough. You're not mistaken.

But, I can't see anything wrong in your system settings. Your system settings, on my FM3, with that BE preset and everything sounds crunchy good.

Have you tried another guitar cable? The problem definitely seems to be somewhere between your guitar and the input to the grid on the preset. So let's start at the back of the chain and work forward from there.

And have you tried using Input 2 on your unit instead of Input 1?
Yes tried many: planet waves, daddario, fender

I tried input 2 also and setting a preset for using input 2 also. Same thing…

So to summarize:

Overall the gain hitting the preset seems to be weak.
Sometimes it works with a reset, the same setup can sound fine, but at the moment its completely stuffed.
When you sent the last 3 units back to FAS they don't see an issue
Everything you say is right. Perfect summary ✅

Sure. Just trying to help when I mentioned the DI.

What do you suggest Glenn?
It sounds like the only variable here is your studio, especially since, when you send your units back to FAS, they work fine for them. So, I would suggest taking your FM3 somewhere else, maybe a friend's studio, and try it there.

You mentioned a Furman and bad electricity. I'd be shocked if this is a biproduct of being voltage starved, but let's double check. What does your Furman say the line voltage is? Does it have a display on the front that tells you this?
I am thinking of that also man. Not enough voltage or maybe a grounds problem? But again doesn’t happen with other gear. I don’t want to write conclusions otherwise I will confuse you.

So I’ll let you do the diagnosis

Attachments

• BE66C96C-4AC8-4FA5-BDAA-BC2A1599FCBC.jpeg
    BE66C96C-4AC8-4FA5-BDAA-BC2A1599FCBC.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 35
So to summarize:
A different guitar? Probably seems like a long shot since it would seem unrelated, but I don't recall seeing it tried, and you must rule out any possible variables.

I am thinking of that also man. Not enough voltage or maybe a grounds problem? But again doesn’t happen with other gear. I don’t want to write conclusions otherwise I will confuse you.

So I’ll let you do the diagnosis
I was hoping for something like this:

IMG_4656.jpg

What's the expected mains voltage level where you're at? Do you know if you're getting that at your Furman?

It sounds like the only variable here is your studio, especially since, when you send your units back to FAS, they work fine for them. So, I would suggest taking your FM3 somewhere else, maybe a friend's studio, and try it there.
In the case I take it to a friends house and it works ok there. Any idea how I can make it work here at home ? Because I work from here I know it sounds obvious.

The only thing vi am thinking also is that this units are made to work everywhere in theory in a venue full of transformers, light, interferences, etc.

That is why I can’t find the right answer to what is happening

Back
Top Bottom