FM3 compared to Axe-Fx II XL+ (Ares)

Luth2000

Inspired
Thinking of getting and FM3 to travel with (hotels etc). I have an XL+ in my home studio and very pleased with it.
How does the sound quality compare?
does The FM3 run two amps/cabs if you want?
Ease in sharing patches from xl+ to FM3?

What, if anything, does the xl+ do better than the fm3?

thanks,
Luther

Only one amp/cab. The FM3 is my first Fractal, but I am pretty sure that patches are only compatible with the FXIII (except of course for those patches that use 2 amps/cabs and more effects blocks than the FM3).

FM3 is the same modeling as the AxeIII. IMO, the modeling is objectively better than the AxeII generation. On top of that, drives, reverb, phaser flanger, compressor, chorus, and pitch blocks have all received significant updates.

One amp block. One cab block with two independent IRs.

Presets could be converted from the XL via a 3rd part app (FracTool). I don't see much point in that since so much has changed and been improved.

The XL has more block instances. XL has tone match. XL can shoot IRs. Might be able to build more complex presets, but I don't know. It's been three years since I sold the XL.

Amp modelling is slightly better.
Drive blocks are slightly better.
And a lot of other blocks are slightly better, with future updates still coming.
Axe FX 2 gets more instances of many blocks, though. Yeah, only 1 instance of Amp and cab blocks in the FM3 per preset. If you don't need more instances of those blocks, FM3 is a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom