FM3 Block Status and Midi remote

diskoduck

Hi all, I have a VOES MX9 connected both MIDI In and Out. As I switch scenes via MX it displays all the block on/off status properly. As I change scenes or presets via the FM footswitches nothing changes on the MX9. I set the FM so that it should send MIDI PC on the Midi Out. I want to reflect my block and scene changes on the Midi foot controler. What do I miss? Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

I should have written: I want to reflect my block status (as I change programs on the FM3) on my Midi controller. Is such information put out by the FM? As I switch via MX9 all the appropriate block info is shown on the MX.

Probably I have to send a request by the external midi controller.....would be nice if the FM3 would send by itself.

The controller has to "understand" the device. It will "poll" the FM3 to get and present that information if it supports it.

I have no personal experience with the voes controllers so I can't tell you anything more.

Wouldn't it be a good habit if the FM3 would put out the block information etc. to external switchers If the the footswitches on the FM are used? What is the reason for not doing so?

Wouldn't it be a good habit if the FM3 would put out the block information etc. to external switchers If the the footswitches on the FM are used? What is the reason for not doing so?
Any receiving device would need to understand the device's sysex stream... And that is proprietary.

So, for any device to use that it would need to be programmed to understand it.

And if that were the case, it could just as easily be programmed to poll the data.

Which is what the devices the integrate already do.

As mentioned before this is a question for @voes to answer.

Either here or via an email to him.

Hi all, I have a VOES MX9 connected both MIDI In and Out. As I switch scenes via MX it displays all the block on/off status properly. As I change scenes or presets via the FM footswitches nothing changes on the MX9. I set the FM so that it should send MIDI PC on the Midi Out. I want to reflect my block and scene changes on the Midi foot controler. What do I miss? Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, that is not possible. No midi controller can do this.

A midi controller, like the MX, must be master and the Midi device (FM3) must be slave.

The problem is when you push a FM3 button, the FM3 will act as master and the MX should follow as slave.
But the FM3 will not send any signal to the MIDI out when a FM3 button is pushed, so the MX is not aware of this change and can't act accordingly.

You can solve this easily by making the MX master. Here are some suggestions:
MX: presets + bank up/down FM3: scenes and/or block FX
MX: scenes + preset up/down FM3: block FX - tempo/tuner
MX: presets + bank up/down on page 1 and scenes + tempo/tuner on page 2 FM3: block FX....

But that is my whole point: it would be great if Fractal would put out the sysex everytime I use one of the three internal switches! So that my Voes controller can follow.....and yes the Voes understands the FM3. So why doesn't the FM put out the data? So that a bidirectional comunication would be possible. Would be EXTREMLY nice. I don't understand the technical problem. The FM provides the sysex as they are polled....🤨

😣😢...I was afraid to get this answer😣
Even if they did then there would be no midi controller to support it...

So, they'd have to add something that no other product currently supports in hopes that creators of midi controllers (who compete with sales of their own products).

Sounds like a lose/lose proposal...

Reactions: JTI
So the controler understands the sysex if he polls/ requests it and ignores the data if it's sent by the FM.....is that the way it works? Surprise🧐

So the controler understands the sysex if he polls/ requests it and ignores the data if it's sent by the FM.....is that the way it works? Surprise🧐

The controller understands the sysex if he polls/request it.
Yes

and ignores the data if it's sent by the FM.
No, the FM does not send sysex data when one of the FM buttons is pressed.

Back
Top Bottom