FM3 best setup?

Hi guys,

I think for my purpose (just home studio playing) I have decided on the FM3 over the AF3. I was initially concerned that maybe the dual amps would make a big difference, but from what I gather its more of a subtle thing that doesn't make a massive benefit in tone. I'm not after huge presets or any specific tone, just a good high gain alive satisfying tone (duh, right?) :cool: .

Anyway, what kind of results can one expect just plugging strait into the FM3 and going strait out the headphone jack on the FM3 ? I have Sennheiser HD650's (300 ohm impedance). I also have powered FRFR 8" monitors when I want to make some noise. I would plug these in the XLRs out on rear of the FM3.

from what I see online most of the "pro" guys dont use it this way - rather they run it into some power amp with extra stereo power cabs etc etc. It seems they are not satisfied until they use this kind of (expensive) setup. I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic, and if necessary budget for more gear. We all want that " DAMN THAT SOUNDS GOOD" factor, and I'm just trying to make that happen as easily as possible.

thanks for any recommendations. Also if anyone could share their current setup they are happy with I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
I have a similar setup, kind of. I run the FM3 with my Sennheiser HD6xx which are the same as HD650's and they get driven plenty loud and clean. I never go about 9:00 on the output with them. I also use the FM3 as a sound card for my Mac without issues. I do have a set of studio monitors (JBL 305's) but run those through my audio interface. I could use the FM3 for that as well, but not sure if there's a popping sound or not. One nice thing you can do is to copy output 1 to output 2 and then use one for headphones and the other for monitors.

Well, I’m just using some Yamaha HS-5’s with my III and don’t feel like I need anything else. I’ve got a head/cab I can plug the III into, but since I’m recording all the time, it’s just extra wasted effort to bother plugging it into anything but my monitors.

As for dual-amp tones, they can be a pain in the ass to get just right. It was the main reason I wanted a III over the FM3 and I’ve spent nearly a year trying to get all my dual-amp presets recording worthy. When I’m actually recording, I often pass over those presets and just record a DI track so I can blend another amp in down the road. I always get way too hung up on stuff like “The Mesa sounds a little too thick mixed with this Diezel...”, and then spend 2 hours tweaking it. My mono/single amp presets I can just load up and press Record.

Well, I’m just using some Yamaha HS-5’s with my III and don’t feel like I need anything else. I’ve got a head/cab I can plug the III into, but since I’m recording all the time, it’s just extra wasted effort to bother plugging it into anything but my monitors.

As for dual-amp tones, they can be a pain in the ass to get just right. It was the main reason I wanted a III over the FM3 and I’ve spent nearly a year trying to get all my dual-amp presets recording worthy. When I’m actually recording, I often pass over those presets and just record a DI track so I can blend another amp in down the road. I always get way too hung up on stuff like “The Mesa sounds a little too thick mixed with this Diezel...”, and then spend 2 hours tweaking it. My mono/single amp presets I can just load up and press Record.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a similar setup, kind of. I run the FM3 with my Sennheiser HD6xx which are the same as HD650's and they get driven plenty loud and clean. I never go about 9:00 on the output with them. I also use the FM3 as a sound card for my Mac without issues. I do have a set of studio monitors (JBL 305's) but run those through my audio interface. I could use the FM3 for that as well, but not sure if there's a popping sound or not. One nice thing you can do is to copy output 1 to output 2 and then use one for headphones and the other for monitors.
This sounds interesting. Probably some pretty nice overtones etc. running both headphones and monitors 👍

Hi,
I’ve got a Sennheiser hd650 and a pair of HS8’s and a HK PA top with a 12”. All sounds great with the fm3! HS8 and hd650 very close to each other and the PA top just has a bit more mids. The PA top are exactly the same as we have in the rehearsal. I don’t see the need for anything else.

This sounds interesting. Probably some pretty nice overtones etc. running both headphones and monitors 👍

I do this and is great... I get that feeling of being on stage with iem and the foh bleeding and adding some substance to the low frecuencies without losing the crisp and definition. It’s actually my prefered method of playing at home right now

Oh I don't use both headphones and monitors at the same time...at least not on purpose. I just use that to control the output.

Do you mean 9:00 when looking at from the front or back?

My FM3 sounds 100% killer through HD600
Headphones. It sounds just like all the badass YouTube reviews.

I had a set of rocket 6s for studio monitors and the sound was mediocre at best. Very bass heavy, the tones were not particularly pretty or representative or what the fm3 is capable of. I got rid of those but have not yet found a decent replacement.

I also bought a headrush frfr 108. It’s ok, marginally better than my rocket 6s. Also very bass heavy. The tone is ok for jamming but leaves much to be desired.

I’m still on the hunt for near field monitors that will sound similar to my Hd600s. I was gonna go with Adam a5xs but it appears these are back ordered until feb at most retailers.

I have the Drop HD6XX's (basically HD650s), and run my FM3 through dual Headrush FRFR108s. I pretty much only play in my bedroom (well, home office, technically). So pretty much your exact setup. Although, I really don't like playing guitar in headphones. The high end always feels brittle and sterile to me (even when I was playing with real tube amps).

I'm 100% happy with my setup. It sounds absolutely killer. No complaints.

I have the Drop HD6XX's (basically HD650s), and run my FM3 through dual Headrush FRFR108s. I pretty much only play in my bedroom (well, home office, technically). So pretty much your exact setup. Although, I really don't like playing guitar in headphones. The high end always feels brittle and sterile to me (even when I was playing with real tube amps).

I'm 100% happy with my setup. It sounds absolutely killer. No complaints.

So just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly you use the HD650's and two Headrush FRFR108 at the same time?

Gotcha. pretty sure you can use both with output routing. might be interesting.

So if given the option (not going to bug anyone with noise) you prefer using the dual Headrush FRFR108 over the 650's?

Ohhhh no, I don't use headphones and speakers at the same time. Just use the FRFR108s for general playing, and the headphones when I want to be quiet late at night.
Do you play much clean stuff?

I have a similar set up (hd600 and a single headrush cab). I love my tone w the headphones but don’t care for the headrush tones. It does better at dirty sounds but is too muddy for cleans

Back
Top Bottom