FM3 and MIDI program change issue

Daespace

Hi all.
I use Ableton Live, on which I have a long project file with all the backing tracks (keyboards parts) of the song list my band play live.
After having seen a video tip from Cooper Carter on how to automate preset and scene on my FM3 using a DAW, I decided to try.
I bought a midi->usb cable (Lekato) and did all the things that the video says: created a midi track, created a midi clip, selected the USB MIDI Cable as output device, and chose BANK 1 and Program Change 5 (just to see if it would work).
I started the track, and when the cursor arrived to the midi clip nothing happened...no change of preset.
I just wanted to be sure I did not miss anything...otherwise I will send back the cable and get the refund, maybe the cable is not properly made for this use...

If you suspect the midi cable, check the midi in light on the FM3. It should flash when the PC is delivered (first exit FM-Edit when you test this). If that shows the midi is being received by the FM3, make sure the midi channels match between the Live track and the FM3.

Sounds to me like something in Ableton is not sending the MIDI; if the FM3 actually receives a PC, it will change, so the signal is not getting to it. I would ask around on an Ableton forum for more specific guidance; the Fractal gear is dead simple when it comes to MIDI, so if something's not working, it's likely not the FM3's fault.

Or, as Glenn says, it might be the cable. You need to make sure your PC/Mac is sending the MIDI that Ableton tells it to send. Lotta things can go wrong with MIDI over USB.

Also test it with other gear if you can to rule out the FM3 as the cause.

First of all I wanna thank you guys for the time spent replying.
I checked the led thing: after having closed FM3 Edit, the MIDI IN led (which was always on with the editor opened) turned off and never turned on when the midi clip was launched.
BUT, on the Lekato midi interface there are 2 leds, indicating midi In and OUT. And when the midi clip is launched the midi OUT led blinks.
That seems to mean that the signal is sent correctly from Ableton, but is not received by the FM3.
Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. But....make sure you're using the right plug. It's easy to get confused about which is in and which is out with those cables. The labels are often backwards from what you might be expecting.

Assuming the MIDI clip track's output is correctly routed to the FM3?

We run 5-Pin DIN MIDI with Ableton with a FM3 (both directions), and a L6 box, all works fine.

Something that would help diagnose is if you can post 3 pictures. 1) Ableton Preferences, Midi 2) Ableton MIDI track, on the right side of the screen where you select the device and channel 3) FM3 Midi settings

I use Ableton & FM9 all the time > pretty confident that those 3 images would help me or a number of others quickly locate the issue

Inexpensive MIDI-to-USB cables have a long history of making things not work. If it’s a MIDI-to-USB interface, and it’s in the form of a cable, and you paid less than $25 for it, there’s a good chance you won’t be happy.

You're not wrong. But....make sure you're using the right plug. It's easy to get confused about which is in and which is out with those cables. The labels are often backwards from what you might be expecting.
This^^^

Make sure you're connecting the right cables to the right ports.

If the interface is indicating midi is coming in, and everything else is ok (your midi channels to match), you may have the cables swapped.

This^^^

Make sure you're connecting the right cables to the right ports.

If the interface is indicating midi is coming in, and everything else is ok (your midi channels to match), you may have the cables swapped.
This is unbelivable…cables were right, I mean than labels were out->out and in->in but as GlennO said they were wrong😳 I just switched IN to OUT and viceversa and it worked😱
THANX again guys
Now I just have to understand the next step, how to change also scenes😅

This is unbelivable…cables were right, I mean than labels were out->out and in->in but as GlennO said they were wrong😳 I just switched IN to OUT and viceversa and it worked😱
THANX again guys
Now I just have to understand the next step, how to change also scenes😅
I don't necessarily think the labels were wrong.

The midi OUT of your adapter feeds the midi IN of your Fractal (and vice-versa)... That's the way most work.

:)

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom