FM3 and external switch options?

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find the easiest way and wanted to gain some insight before I started.
Has anyone tried to use the Digitech FS3 and was it worth the effort. I used it with an H9 to scroll presets and it was marginal.
Thanks - sk

Hi All,
Pretty much a Fractal newbie with a FM3. I was hoping to make some use of my Digitech FS3 but after hearing/seeing how Larry Mitchel's phenomenally uses his FM3, I have to ask myself a question. With all the new functionality of switch layout options, tap and hold functions etc.. Am I just not willing to learn the new functions and gravitating to the familiar?

Google FM3 Footswitch design and Concepts. Tons of ways to set up 3 switches.
Quote from the author of this article "I still personally stick to 1 Preset and use 1 or 2 views on the FM3 itself. I don’t want things to be too complex for my current playing situations. But if I need something more complex, I know it’s there and can use them."

Just a thought.
Loving the FM3! So glad I waited :)
i wrote the article you mention. i did a live stream talking about adding external switches:

Thanks for the video it was helpful. I was able to set up the Digitech FS3X to do 2 functions. View and Scene toggle. The hold function did not work properly and overrode the other functions. I suppose I would need to change one of the switches out to a momentary switches to make that work?
Anyway now working on figuring out how to use it with a live rig and the FM3 switch layouts.
Additional Info:
The FS3X has 3 switches : mode, down, and up. mode worked one function, down and up acted the same for the other function. I know there are ways(modes) to change the function of the FX3X when working with a Digitech Trio, I tried that but I did not notice a difference changing those modes. I also noticed that when I changed scenes there was a short but noticeable drop out. That will be another post. SK

I explicitly said it wasn't possible:
You cannot change what your 4 button footswitch is mapped to on the fly - it will be fixed to refer to what you configured in Layout 8.
** Disclaimer: I'm not a FM3 owner (yet).

Last week in prep for selling my ax8, I setup my axefx3/fc12 for use with my acoustic.
I was able to use per preset overrides to change the behavior of my external switches to be looper controls, for my acoustic patch.

FM3 might be able to do the same? Worth checking.

Thanks for the video it was helpful. I was able to set up the Digitech FS3X to do 2 functions. View and Scene toggle. The hold function did not work properly and overrode the other functions. I suppose I would need to change one of the switches out to a momentary switches to make that work?
Anyway now working on figuring out how to use it with a live rig and the FM3 switch layouts.
Additional Info:
The FS3X has 3 switches : mode, down, and up. mode worked one function, down and up acted the same for the other function. I know there are ways(modes) to change the function of the FX3X when working with a Digitech Trio, I tried that but I did not notice a difference changing those modes. I also noticed that when I changed scenes there was a short but noticeable drop out. That will be another post. SK
That switch box has 3 switches with a single TRS. That is not designed for "generic" uses... Most likely there's other components inside other than just switches and jacks. Probably had a diode or two inside.

The FM3 supports 2 switches on a TRS - one is Tip and one is Ring (the Sleeve is common).

If it's also got latching switches you'd be better off just buying a cheap 2-button momentary unit from Amazon.

** Disclaimer: I'm not a FM3 owner (yet).

Last week in prep for selling my ax8, I setup my axefx3/fc12 for use with my acoustic.
I was able to use per preset overrides to change the behavior of my external switches to be looper controls, for my acoustic patch.

FM3 might be able to do the same? Worth checking.

Yes, that is possible. If you've got a 2-button external switch set to switches 8 and 9 in a layout, you could do a per-preset override for one or both of those switches. It would override those switches on all layouts, though.

I'm new to external switchers. I purchased a 2 button momentary switch with the hopes that I could assign each button a global function (ex: bank up & bank down), but also have each button have a "hold" function as well (for example: switch 1 banks up when tap'd, but activates tuner when held down). Can anyone recommend a 2 button switcher that has the capability to do both or at least tell me what "type" of switcher I need to focus on. I don't guess momentary is the correct type.

I'm new to external switchers. I purchased a 2 button momentary switch with the hopes that I could assign each button a global function (ex: bank up & bank down), but also have each button have a "hold" function as well (for example: switch 1 banks up when tap'd, but activates tuner when held down). Can anyone recommend a 2 button switcher that has the capability to do both or at least tell me what "type" of switcher I need to focus on. I don't guess momentary is the correct type.
Momentary is the correct type.

While I have not used one I have seen the Mosky Dual Switch recommended a number of times.

Are you saying you tried but it doesn’t work? Did you use the Stand-In Switch feature?

Momentary is the correct type.

While I have not used one I have seen the Mosky Dual Switch recommended a number of times.
I just purchased the Mosky Dual Switch in hopes this would fulfill this need, but only the tap feature works. When I assign a hold function via FM3 Edit (Ex: Utility-->Tuner) only the hold function works. I wasn't able to get tap to work for one function and holding the button down for another function. Chris, yes, I tried with the Mosky, and that was the outcome.

I just purchased the Mosky Dual Switch in hopes this would fulfill this need, but only the tap feature works. When I assign a hold function via FM3 Edit (Ex: Utility-->Tuner) only the hold function works. I wasn't able to get tap to work for one function and holding the button down for another function. Chris, yes, I tried with the Mosky, and that was the outcome.
I'm sure Chris will help get you sorted. Most likely just a setting...

Not sure if this will all work, but I'm going to give it a show on Wednesday when the FM3 gets here. I figure an external tuner (that I really like) plus the TC Mini (which I actually prefer boosting into pedals and amps, hopefully even virtual) but still gives me more volume for solos PLUS the dual Mosky will be quite a bit of control. I wrestle with having expression on/off the board, but recall at gigs I actually liked being able to angle it a bit for more control on the floor.
I was thinking maybe the Mosky tap to change views, tap tempo, other stuff? Maybe external tuner and boost is overkill.

FM3-Metro.JPG

Not sure if this will all work, but I'm going to give it a show on Wednesday when the FM3 gets here. I figure an external tuner (that I really like) plus the TC Mini (which I actually prefer boosting into pedals and amps, hopefully even virtual) but still gives me more volume for solos PLUS the dual Mosky will be quite a bit of control. I wrestle with having expression on/off the board, but recall at gigs I actually liked being able to angle it a bit for more control on the floor.
I was thinking maybe the Mosky tap to change views, tap tempo, other stuff? Maybe external tuner and boost is overkill.

View attachment 76288
a boost pedal before the FM3 will act like a pedal in front of an amp, so you may get an input drive boost (more gain) and not much volume change depending on the amp.

you can use a Filter Block at the end of a preset set to Type: Null for a boost. change the Level parameter for the amount of boost you want.

a boost pedal before the FM3 will act like a pedal in front of an amp, so you may get an input drive boost (more gain) and not much volume change depending on the amp.

you can use a Filter Block at the end of a preset set to Type: Null for a boost. change the Level parameter for the amount of boost you want.

Just sold the TC spark boost so that won't be a concern anymore. I do like using the filter as a ~3dB boost for solos. But, I guess there are many different ways to do it including using a scene controller / modifier assigned to the output block volume? Or GEQ, etc.
I have never even tried the amp boost options built into the actual amp block...
But, I need to engage it somehow :)

Back
Top Bottom