FM3 and 250ohms headphones

framos

Hi All,

Do you guys have experience using 250ohms headphones with the FM3?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year!

Fabiano

I have exactly these ones. Generally I like them very much and I use them for everything inclusive mixing. With FM3...well the headphones won't sound as well as a speaker. The clean presets sound just as great, if not better. The presets with more gain sound all different, if you made them for playing with speakers and more volume. It's my experience with all headphones. It helps to reduce the volume on the guitar but it's not the same character. The high gain presets which you make for the headphones won't sound good with speakers and vice versa. For headphones, I can only recommend DT 770 Pro (250 ohm). But that's also a matter of taste.

Happy new year to you too!

I understand what you're saying, agree 100%.

I use headphones for late night playing. I am upgrading my 32ohm headphones, just wanted to check if a 250ohm-ish was ok to use with FM3.

I'm using DT 990 Pro, 250 ohm. They are comfortable. When it comes to volume, there is many times more that than human ear can tolerate. Cleans sounds are great, same with leads (distortion, compression, delay).

Low end could be better.

Nevertheless, 250 ohm is no problem at all.

Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro. great sound, enough volume, i am using the 250 Ohm Version For me they work well

Happy new year!

I have the FM3 output volume around 11 o'clock with DT 770 250 ohm, just FYI.

Some prefer headphones that are a bit biased, with more bass. It may sound warmer. I had e.g. Audio Technika M50 before and they sounded "warmer". But I wouldn't change my DT 770 for them again. I appreciate the transparency that they have.

I have the DT 770 Pro (250 ohms) also, but I found they where to "hyped" when it came to high-gain presets, so I got the DT 1990 Pro (also 250 Ohms)

https://www.thomann.de/dk/beyerdynamic_dt_1990_pro_250_ohms.htm

Going with the open design was what sold me on them, and made a HUGE positive impact on the sound in my opinon. Also the DT 1990 is clearly a more precise headphone.

But I will also advocate the importance of adjusting the EQ (on outputs 1 when using headphones) to accommodate/compensate for whatever colouring your particular headphones bring to the mix. Personally I do what I would do when tuning a P.A. (I'm a Professional Soundengineer) before a livemix session; use a familiar, neutral piece of music/track to equalize after, to make it sound as pleasing and natural as possible.

Alternatively try using this Websites settings-recommendations to achive a linear response for your particular model, it seems to be quite accurate, according to what I have read people reporting back on it.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

I was using a DT 770(80ohm) it sounded great but causes ear fatigue if used for a longer duration for practice.It is because of the close back nature of the headphone certain amount of pressure and heat is generated which in turn causes ear fatigue.Recently I upgraded to HD650 from Sennheiser, it sounded great and I can practice and mix without any issue.However it is highly recommended to take a break after a cycle of 45-60 minutes if using headphones for practicing or mixing. Besides HD650 is also a good mixing headphone if not the best.My mixing sounded way better using HD650 compare to DT770.I got my HD650 from amazon about half the price during the holiday sales.Its been over a month now and I haven't felt using my DT770 anymore.
Here is a little demonstration of a mix using HD650+FM3
https://soundcloud.com/gaurav-das-8?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Back
Top Bottom