Flying with the Axe?

logicroxx

Forgive me if I've missed the answer to this, but my search yielded no results...

I may be flying out for a gig within the next two weeks and just now realized that I have no clear plan as to how the Axe Fx is going to get there safely. To say that I'm hesitant about checking my new love interest would be a massive understatement, so what's the answer? Can it sit in a rack bag and go in the overhead?

I flew mine to the virgin islands to do a gig and put it in a rack bag in the overhead along with my guitar in a gig bag.
No problems at all.

I fly with mine a bit and don't use a shock mount case because the airlines charge a hugh premium for any bag over 50lbs. The way I have my rack, it weighs almost exactly 50lbs. I haven't had a single problem so far!

I fly a lot and i'd never been keen on checking the Axe in as baggage but a couple of months ago i bought a Gator Studio2Go rack bag and i have been flying with my entire rig including my Shure IEMs, and Liquid Foot Jr. It's pretty awesome to be able to take it anywhere and i have been able to take it on as "carry on" baggage and stow it in the overhead locker.

The bag itself is pretty heavy but i took the plastic stoppers out of the base and fitted some small castors so i can pull it along on hard surfaces which is particularly handy when walking through long airport terminals... :D

As mentioned earlier, if you are responsible for paying excess baggage fees then you may want to be careful... As a band, our excess baggage is always well over a thousand dollars but fortunately our clients have to pay so it's not an issue for me.

First time I took it on the plane, I put in in an SKB 6-space rack that I checked. No problem.

The last time I flew, last weekend, I un-racked it, put in in a duffel bag and carried it on with my clothes and shaving kit. It was pretty awesome to do a U2 Tribute gig with one duffel bag, and one guitar...

-Phil

For you guys that carry on the Axe, what do you do with your guitar? That's what I carry on and the airlines only allow one big carry on and one personal item.

mitch236 said:
For you guys that carry on the Axe, what do you do with your guitar? That's what I carry on and the airlines only allow one big carry on and one personal item.
I have an awesome flight case that has special provision for my Bad Horsie Wah and X2 XDS Plus Wireless as well as a myriad of essential "tour" nick -knacks such as gig spanner, swiss army knife, a few packs of strings, foldup guitar stand and a bunch of other bits and pieces etc....

mitch236 said:

That's the problem I'm having lately, so I carry my guitar, and check the Axe Fx in a very heavy duty case, Axe in the case it's 49 pounds so I'm within the limit.
I'd suggest you do that, you'll get away with taking both as carry on's on some flights but you'll eventually have problems, especially on connecting flights and smaller planes, I know from experience..

mworkman said:
For people that "carry on" their Axe-FX do you get hassled at the airport security checks?

No but I have to allow for extra time to get through the xray point! I used to carry my guitar on but started having a LOT of hassles since 9/11. Guitar strings are apparently a "weapon" as are all my little tools and stuff and i started having airlines flat out refuse to let me take it on even if i agreed to ditch the strings and tools. However, I do have it checked on as "special" baggage so it is carried on and off rather than on the conveyor belt.

Back
Top Bottom