Flying on vacation - advice ?

1poorplayer

Power User
I'm heading out in a few weeks with the family on vacation. We are flying to Florida , and I'd like to bring my guitar and AX8 to play while staying in a house we are renting.
I brought my guitar on a plane back when I was a kid , but it's a different world now days.
Does anyone know the procedure to travel with a guitar and effect pedal on a plane ?

transportation.gov/airconsumer/air-travel-musical-instruments

Soft case (just a PC bag but I don't remember the maker)...
Last week from LA to Chicago, since the cabin was full, the hostess told me that unfortunately there was no space for my guitar and asked me if I want to put my guitar in the cockpit (obviously I say yes ;) )

I have been through the same...when traveling i usually have the time to play guitar, staying in hotel, vacation etc. But it's a hassle to bring it in addition to everything else (a kid+wife for example). So I got a traveler guitar + pocket POD. Neither ideal in sound or playability, but both are small and super easy to bring along. Using this setup I can have ampsound from the POD, meteronome/backingtracks on my phone, and get to practice wherever I am (pocket POD runs on battery).

All of my fly dates I check my guitar in a SKB watertight, airtight case. I carry my AX8 in a laptop/messenger bag and put it overhead.

A friend of mine took a cheap Tele copy to Spain last year from the UK. He simply unbolted the neck and put the neck and body in his normal suitcase that went in the hold. I am thinking of doing the same when I go over to Spain later this year with my Strandberg, although that is small enough that I would probably get away with that as hand luggage.

I've paid for priority seating and have brought on an electric and placed in the overhead about 5 times now. Sometimes my band mates get the closet but most of the time they end up gate checking their guitars. Since It stresses me out every trip I've decided to buy a good hard flight case for my guitar and I will be gate checking. Plus passengers get pissed on a full flight when they see your guitar in the overhead taking up that much space. I'm hoping to pick up an AX8 for this year also, to make for less gear for travel.

I have been through the same...when traveling i usually have the time to play guitar, staying in hotel, vacation etc. But it's a hassle to bring it in addition to everything else (a kid+wife for example). So I got a traveler guitar + pocket POD. Neither ideal in sound or playability, but both are small and super easy to bring along. Using this setup I can have ampsound from the POD, meteronome/backingtracks on my phone, and get to practice wherever I am (pocket POD runs on battery).

What traveler guitar did you buy ?

What traveler guitar did you buy ?

I got the Speedster Hotrod v2 (travelerguitar.com). The armrest is detachable, making it smaller than the pictures. It has its own headphone amp and built-in ampsim (clean, dist)...but that sounded even worse than the POD :)
Anyway, its a real portable solution - so if I had the option to not pratice, or practice on this rig - choice is easy:)

here is a clip of me trying it out: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_1w1_o9f9qnemt1Nk5haG9zZ1U
(plugged into the Ax8 here. sound is camera mic)

Back
Top Bottom