Fluid FX8 coaxial monitors are awesome!!

I got a pair about two weeks ago, they are very impressive for the price!!! I live in Canada, and ended up ordering them from Thomman in Germany, they were about $100 cheaper even with shipping, and duty. It was $550 CAD plus $10 processing plus tax, and it came with the stands!!

Before I bought these I had some JBL 305 MKII speakers, and on some chords the plate amp in the back would resonate quite loud. The Fluid FX8s have no vibrations, or any other issues, and most important for guitar they sound very constant as you move through the room. Plus since they have a volume control on the front it is easy to adjust, no reaching to the back. They also play really loud if you crank them up, and no sub needed to shake the walls. I am really happy with these, and the pair of them was not much more than a single headrush speaker.

I don't know if these would be loud enough for using as a spot monitor at a gig, but for playing at home, and jamming they are plenty loud.

Curious what other monitoring solutions you have compared them to?
I'm looking for a set of 8" Coax studio monitors (as the Equator D8s are hard to find now).

Just curious how flat they are compared to other solutions.

I haven't compared them to many other monitors, just the JBL 305 MKII which were decent if it wasn't for the vibrating plate amp. I did have some Behringer 8" monitors with ribbon tweeters my first go around with an Axe Fx standard, but that was a number of years ago, so I can't remember too much about them. I also compared them to my home stereo (Axiom audio speakers, and Anthem amp), and they are wider sounding, and you can really tell where the instruments are in the mix. Compared to my Sony MDR7506 headphones the monitors are more full sounding, and not as hot in the upper mids, which is where I find the sonys are not that great.

The biggest plus I can see is that they are not very directional, so I can move around the room while playing, and the sound is very consistent. Plus they sound really good at all volume levels. I find myself going into my music room, and firing up the monitors any time I want to listen to music.

There are no room compensation controls on these, but I have found that I always leave those flat on other monitors, so that doesn't bug me at all.

$250 US / monitor is about average. I paid the equivalent of $420 USD and got the stands as well from Thommen. I just had to use different power cords, and change the fuses to the proper value for 120V, but I do electronics work for a living (Biomedical Engineer) so I had some good heavy duty hospital grade power cords, and spare fuses, so it wasn't a big deal.

What really got me looking closely at the Fluids, and pulling the trigger was a few threads like this on gearslutz https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...d5s-vs-dynaudio-lyd48s-vs-gethain-rl906s.html

They get compared to a lot of monitors 2+ times the price. They also have the pro version the FPX7, but I think that is overkill, and out of my price range. I figured to make my AX8 replace my tube amp I need some monitors that can play loud, have decent low end, and have really good sound quality. Everything I read about coaxial speakers makes it sound like it is a really good idea for replacing a guitar speaker since there is a lot going on in the midrange, and having it all come essentially from the same place is a big plus, and I wanted a big speaker hence the 8" woofer.

I also run my ipad into the unbalanced in while the AX8 goes into the balanced so that I can play along to backing tracks without a mixer which is a small thing, but a definite plus for me.

Public Service Announcement (for those with GAS):
These Fluid FX8s are on sale at PSSL.com for $150 each.

I just ordered a pair. For this low of a price, and the great reviews these get, it was too cheap to pass up.

Back
Top Bottom