Floyd Rose users - just got my first Floyd, which is almost 40 years old - what wear-and-tear items should I be a-wear of?

The fact that it still works is good for those . I would not try to replace anything that works in it . The typical problem with TSR is broken bridge saddles and worn knife edges.

Duly noted. Will look into a replacement that is REAL Floyd rather than licensed (found the small print when I looked at it). Thanks for the info!

Is it also true that the OFR are made by Schaller? That's what I have heard and read... that both OFR and Lockmeister comes from the factory but has a different stamp on the base plate? Schaller is just about half the price because it's not the original 😅

Is it also true that the OFR are made by Schaller? That's what I have heard and read... that both OFR and Lockmeister comes from the factory but has a different stamp on the base plate? Schaller is just about half the price because it's not the original 😅
Yes the OFR is identical to the Lockmiester and has been made by Schaller since 1984 . There are also two Korean versions and the Ping one.

No it’s a Takeuchi.

This one look right? It claims to be 2.91" in the ad copy, which works out to 73.914mm. 74mm is about 2.91339" rounds to 2.91, so they probably rounded the number for easier reading. It comes with the big fat inertia block that I was thinking of upgrading mine with, and the fancy, bling-y "gold" fine tuners....

Base plate's looking a lot thicker than the base plate on the one I have, which would probably make the fine tuners more stable. I bet that's also why the "Tool" that I got from StewMac to help with setting intonation doesn't stay put - the skinny base plate and the angle it bends to throw off the Tool's geometry....

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 11.59.35 AM.png

The one I have, by comparison, is apparently a thinner, stamped-steel baseplate:
1000012339.jpg

Last edited:
This one look right? It claims to be 2.91" in the ad copy, which works out to 73.914mm. 74mm is about 2.91339" rounds to 2.91, so they probably rounded the number for easier reading. It comes with the big fat inertia block that I was thinking of upgrading mine with, and the fancy, bling-y "gold" fine tuners....

Base plate's looking a lot thicker than the base plate on the one I have, which would probably make the fine tuners more stable. I bet that's also why the "Tool" that I got from StewMac to help with setting intonation doesn't stay put - the skinny base plate and the angle it bends to throw off the Tool's geometry....

View attachment 143748
That is the best one Floyd sells .

There's another that's "Special" and around $92 on sale, but this seemed like someplace that cutting corners would be a bad idea.

Then I spotted the '84 spec, and figured that an '86-ish NJ Kramer would probably work better with something built to the original Floyd specs....

SportHiTech actually has one in stock....
View attachment 143750
The 84 is actually quite different from one built in84 but it is very good. The”special “ however is utter garbage and would be doing well to not need parts in three months.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom