Floyd Rose Tuning / Temperature change expectations

I ran a quick test and here's some data ;) . Measured the tuning of the guitar indoors (at 75F - the lower row). Put the guitar outside for about a half hour (in the shade) - where it was 10 degrees warmer ambient temp than inside. Didn't play the guitar, or move the trem - just moved it from inside to outside. So there's definitely a loss of many cents of tuning with increased temp/humidity (although it's not a humid day). I imagine the difference may grow if it was a wider temperature change.

Just as a recap, my issue is I'll acclimate the guitar at the venue for an hour+ prior to the gig, and have it tuned up to start the show. A few songs into the gig, I'll check the tuning and it will be flat be this much or more.

View attachment 123200
Interesting test! It would interesting to see the results when using a hardtail guitar.

This is the back of my Wolfgang Special neck (which has better tuning stability). Would this be quartersawn? Am I looking for grain the runs up and down the neck and not the V-shaped swirls that are in the other neck?

View attachment 123301
Yes that one is and it has carbon rods too. MIM ones are flat sawn but have carbon so they are very stable. It is easier to look at the top of the headstock to see the angle of the grain (assuming it is the same piece of wood.)

Can you tell how it's sawn on a grain like this? Just wondering - sorry to bother with the questions.

MM Neck.jpeg

MM Headstock.jpeg

Yes that one is and it has carbon rods too. MIM ones are flat sawn but have carbon so they are very stable. It is easier to look at the top of the headstock to see the angle of the grain (assuming it is the same piece of wood.)
Interesting - didn't know it has carbon rods. Thanks for the info!

Ignore the figure and look at only the annual rings and their orientation. It's a lot harder on that one but you can still tell if you are used to it.
So ignoring the figuring, the grain is going across the neck on that one? Not quarter-sawn? (It's not real apparent to me).

I tested my Wolfgang Special (mentioned above, quarter-sawn neck, carbon rods) just now. Left it outside for an hour where it was about 18 degrees warmer ambient temperature (in the shade). I found that even with more of a temperature change, the tuning remained more stable. It flattened by about a line on the tuner rather than 2-4 lines in the earlier test), so probably a 1-10 cent change rather than a 20-50 cent change in the other guitar. So one guitar definitely moves more than the other.

Back
Top Bottom