Floyd Rose Tuning / Temperature change expectations

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I am wondering what the expectation is for a Floyd Rose guitar holding its tuning throughout a show. I typically string it up with NYXLs and break the strings in prior via a String Stretcher and play on it a bit (not much, but do some bending all around) in the days leading up to a show, so the strings should be broken in. I'll tune it up at home and it seems to remain stable at home for a few days leading up to a show. When I get to the venue, I check the tuning and it's not uncommon for it to be fairly off. Sometimes I'll need to loosen the nut/re-tune/lock. Then throughout the show, it's fairly common for me to have to bring the string tuning up quite a bit (40-50 cents-ish). So I have to make sure I leave plenty of turns in the fine tuners to accommodate.

Is this normal and just a consequence of a warmer venue, sweaty fingers being on the strings and heating them up, etc.? Or is something else going on? Seems to happen to any/all strings. I lock my saddles and nut down pretty tight so I don't think anything is slipping - don't seem to have grooves in the nut locks.

Thanks for any insight!

It's not the floyd it's the wood in your instrument is what I think. Does it all the time to me, get guitars out at a gig, tune them, by the time it's time to play they need tuned again. It shouldn't move that much once the temp settles. Do you notice the neck moving much?

IMHO, there's too many factors in play to set an expectation for tuning stability. Your mileage may vary. Take care setting up and re-stringing properly, and that's the best you can do.

I just did an outdoor show that started at sunset, facing into the sun, and wrapped up at dusk. My guitars were in direct sunlight, then things cooled off fairly quickly at sunset. I still did ok with tuning stability - nothing a few in-between song tuning tweaks couldn't handle. I changed to a FR-equipped guitar for the last 1/3 of the set and didn't have to tune up again. For gigs I tend to carry guitars with maple neck shafts, as they're ridiculously stable. While I check relief and all setup adjustments as part of every re-string, I don't think I've ever had to adjust the truss rods on most of my Warmoth guitars with maple necks. Can't say the same for a '61 SG reissue, so there's that.IMG_0197.jpeg

It's not the floyd it's the wood in your instrument is what I think. Does it all the time to me, get guitars out at a gig, tune them, by the time it's time to play they need tuned again. It shouldn't move that much once the temp settles. Do you notice the neck moving much?
That's what I'm wondering. It's a Music Max Axis (FYI). Not sure if the neck is moving - would that just be a feel thing you mean? But if that was the case, what would cause that and what could be done? I know the neck is tight to the body - don't think it's moving there.

It's the neck bow slightly changing with temp changes. If you sight down the neck at those different times, you'll see the slight shift.

It's the neck bow slightly changing with temp changes. If you sight down the neck at those different times, you'll see the slight shift.
This may be the case - I've perhaps felt that my action was getting higher later in the show. Can anything be done about that?

This may be the case - I've perhaps felt that my action was getting higher later in the show. Can anything be done about that?
Not really, it's just the construction of the neck. Some necks have stiffening rods etc. If the action is increasing it's bowing, you just have to maybe set it up between sets.. keep it out of the sun, or anything extreme (hot lights, direct sun).

I run 3 different Ibanez guitars all with the FR, they are kept in my basement where it's always cool and when I get to a gig I always uncase them and let them acclimate to the current temp for an hour if possible before even attempting to check tuning. With that said we had a show this week that the outdoor temp was 90+ and I had to barely adjust the tuning up. My FR's are quite solid, I would think it's more about the guitar adjusting to the environment. Just a thought.

Make sure the bolts or screws holding the nut on are tight and the nut can't move. Also make sure the string retainer bar hold down the strings properly so the remain in tune when the nut is locked,

Make sure the bolts or screws holding the nut on are tight and the nut can't move. Also make sure the string retainer bar hold down the strings properly so the remain in tune when the nut is locked,
The string retainer bar would only be a tuning issue when locking the nut, correct? Once it's locked (and tuned) the retainer bar couldn't be causing a follow-up tuning issue correct?

The string retainer bar would only be a tuning issue when locking the nut, correct? Once it's locked (and tuned) the retainer bar couldn't be causing a follow-up tuning issue correct?
Correct but it should be right because if it moves when you lock the nut it is taking away from your desired start position on the fine tuner.

??? no it isn't.
If the locking nut base plate is loose and/or moving it will change the length between the nut and the bridge changing your intonation. I may not have been clear in my first post, I was thinking the nut lock not the trem lock. I've had the nut screws loosen up over time allowing the nut to move while tuning which both screws up your tuning and you intonation.

If the neck is bowing that quickly under temperature changes, is it just a one-off problem with the neck? It's an Axis w/ a birdseye maple neck. Do I need to stick it in the oven for some roasting? :tearsofjoy:

If the neck is bowing that quickly under temperature changes, is it just a one-off problem with the neck? It's an Axis w/ a birdseye maple neck. Do I need to stick it in the oven for some roasting? :tearsofjoy:
I'm not convinced. I'm an engineer. Measure, don't guess.

I'll measure whatever I can. Let me check the nut screws and I'll report back.
That MM Axis should be a righteous guitar, I'd expect their quality to be pretty high. Of course, there's always a problem child guitar, but overall they're terrific, AFAIK.

Your comment about extra windings on locking tuners stands out. Too many wraps on the post can lead to the tension slipping as you play. I get about 3/4 of a wrap around the post on my locking tuners when they're up to pitch.

Take it easy with the Gorilla Tactics when tightening. It really doesn't take all that much.

I've got 2 guitars that never have issues with the necks and two that always do. If it's humid, cold, whatever... I find I have to retune and sometimes adjust the neck. I'd never adjusted a neck until I got a Warmoth. An allen wrench on the side does it. It's a newish guitar so the neck is still settling. My EVH Frankie sometimes needs a little bit of adjustment. My Ibanez is 30 years old and has the thinnest neck of all. I've never adjusted it and it never goes out of tune. Just one of those guitars. Definitely the wood and the environment, IMO.

That MM Axis should be a righteous guitar, I'd expect their quality to be pretty high. Of course, there's always a problem child guitar, but overall they're terrific, AFAIK.

Your comment about extra windings on locking tuners stands out. Too many wraps on the post can lead to the tension slipping as you play. I get about 3/4 of a wrap around the post on my locking tuners when they're up to pitch.

Take it easy with the Gorilla Tactics when tightening. It really doesn't take all that much.
Ok, but it wasn't me that mentioned extra windings, and the guitar doesn't have locking tuners - it's a locking nut w/ the Floyd Rose.

Back
Top Bottom