Floor Controller and Axe Edit

Jerry K.

Experienced
Can someone tell me how to use a floor controller and Axe Edit together. Will a MIDI merger work?

Thanks

Can't say that this is the ideal or only method, but this is how I do it.

I've got an FCB1010 and an m-Audio midisport 2x2.

FCB1010 MIDI OUT--->Axe-FX MIDI IN

Axe-FX MIDI OUT--->2x2 A MIDI IN

Axe-FX MIDI THRU--->2x2 B MIDI IN

2x2 A MIDI OUT--->FCB1010 MIDI IN (using midi merge in the FCB1010)

2x2 is set for USB mode (not thru).

Axe-Edit is set up for 2x2 A in and out.

Ripwerx (FCB1010 editor) is set up for 2x2 B in and A out. <---(corrected; thanks to jmillion for catching that)

Don't have to change a thing to get access to either the foot controller via Ripwerx, the Axe-FX via Axe-Edit and I have control of the Axe-FX via the foot controller as well. Haven't had an issue yet.

I know that there is probably a more elegant way to do it, but I did have problems with sending the Axe-FX output through other devices to the PC and getting bad checksums. This way I have a straight shot to the PC. The foot controller communicates fine via the MIDI thru on the back of the Axe-FX to the PC though.

What you need to do is MERGE the floorboard and computer signals into the Axe-Fx.

If you are by chance also using a pedalboard which needs midi communication FROM the Axe-Fx, you will also need to SPLIT ("thru") the MIDI signal out of the Axe-Fx so it can reach both the computer and the pedalboard.

One option is a big "MIDI PATCH BAY" matrix, like the Emagic AMT8, DMC MX-8, or the ol' trusty JLCOOPER MSB. It could handle all these operations at once, and more. That's almost certainly overkill though...

Instead, I think you want something smart, fast, and light for this.

For the basic operation: MIDI Solutions 2>1 MIDI MERGER
If you need the THRU, MIDI Solutions 1>2 MIDI THRU

I recommend Ashby Solutions for the best sales & service on these:
http://music.ashbysolutions.com/midisol.htm

Thanks everyone. I am waiting on a MFC-101 but in the mean time I am using a FC-300. I like the idea of the merger, smart and fast. I didn't know how this would work but it sounds like it is no big deal.

Which floor controller? If it has a MIDI In you might not need the merge box

Will this work?

Back
Top Bottom