Fletcher Munson curve - EQ solution for different volume playing

mertas

I have perfectly ballanced requested sound on my studio monitors when playing on low-mid volume setting.
After playing with drummer on high volume I realised, that most of the sounds are bass heavy with too much heights as well.
I assume Fletcher Munson curve is what is going on here.

How do you set up your Axe to quicky compensate EQ on big volume change?
Do you insert EQ block and activate it globaly for all presets or an other possibilities?

thanks for advices

With gigging presets on a loud PA, On the cab block, start by doing a low cut at 100 Hz and high cut from any where between 6000 Hz and 8000 Hz. I mostly use a PEQ block after the cab block for this, as I can chip away at other frequencies with it if I need to.

In a recording mix after all tailoring you are getting a sound with a small bandwidth and less dynamics. It sits in the mix in it's own reserved frequency range, where the guitar sits and nothing else. Other instruments have their own range. Dynamics don't matter that much, because everything get's compressed in the end. Lots of time to care about the leveling of all signals, so it don't matters and get's corrected later.

When you play with a real band in a room, it's all different. Dynamics often matter again. Except for lead solos and metal rhythm, you should be able to vary the volume some with your playing since drummer and bass player are able for sure.
And there will be no reserved spot in the mix where the guitar will sit when you have changing FOH techs at different venues. You might need some broader frequency range, not much bass (bass players area), but you might preserve some fullness in you sound via boosting low mids instead, and you might cease on adding crystal highs, that would shine in a studio and consider mids and upper mids instead, that's what most likely cuts through in the mix. You don't know what portion of you range the tech will take, so broader is better. It may sound low mid rangey fat in the end and you might not like that sounds at all in a studio, but these kind of sounds work with a band.

Playing loud usually means playing live with other people - so for me a simple EQ adjustment is rarely enough.
Fletcher is a big factor, but so is the sometimes elusive "sitting in the mix".

For me I've been living with this challenge for a long time. My live presets (versus solo home practice presets)

1. Sound a bit thin, aka not as much bass
2. Sound a bit honky, extra mids
3. Use slightly less gain, clarity is even more important
4. Use a wetter reverb/delay mix, the room seems to just soak up some

Try this PEQ block. You'll need a CC knob or fader to operate the modifiers. I use a Tall Timbers fader controller for mine, connected via an Expression IO MIDI continuous controller / switch adapter, so I can get the benefit of coming into thr Fractal unit via the External controllers and use the starting value setting to ensure it comes up at 50% when booted up, and stays there until the fader is actually moved. The controller connects to two bands of the PEQ simultaneously, and boosts or cuts depending on which way you move the fader away from center....

After playing with drummer on high volume I realised, that most of the sounds are bass heavy with too much heights as well.
It can depend on a room you were playing in. Hard walls and open corners add so much of both.
Also, depends on where are you standing/sitting: like in front of the load cab or to the side of it, etc.

All the options are good - be it using PEQ block, or Preamp "cut" switch + CAB block filters, or even simply opening the Amp block by double-tapping the A button and reducing bass and highs. But beware of room effects and positioning in from of the loudspeaker :) You may end up with the tone nobody else is hearing at all.

Try this PEQ block. You'll need a CC knob or fader to operate the modifiers. I use a Tall Timbers fader controller for mine, connected via an Expression IO MIDI continuous controller / switch adapter, so I can get the benefit of coming into thr Fractal unit via the External controllers and use the starting value setting to ensure it comes up at 50% when booted up, and stays there until the fader is actually moved. The controller connects to two bands of the PEQ simultaneously, and boosts or cuts depending on which way you move the fader away from center....
What about using one of the built-in manual controllers?

just applying cuts can work but it is not enough…

You have to train your ears on what you expect to hear in live situation.

Tones require more mids, less gain, less bass, less treble, but too much or not enough and you ruin your tone.

The balance is hard to find and change with every band you play with.

It’s trials and errors and experience.

I tour a lot and generally I try to find a good balance between what tone I’m confortable with and what’s needed and also because it’s the sound guy job to make things work…

just applying cuts can work but it is not enough…

You have to train your ears on what you expect to hear in live situation.

Tones require more mids, less gain, less bass, less treble, but too much or not enough and you ruin your tone.

The balance is hard to find and change with every band you play with.

It’s trials and errors and experience.
Once I have my sound set the way I want for the stage, I leave it alone and use my imagination when I'm working on something at home. I know it's already got a good sound so any deviations from that because of lower volume or using different speakers or headphones doesn't bother me because I know it'll only get better when I can turn it up.

I tour a lot and generally I try to find a good balance between what tone I’m confortable with and what’s needed and also because it’s the sound guy job to make things work…
Heh… at first I thought you'd said
and also because it’s the sound guy job to make things worse
:)

Back
Top Bottom