First tonematches: Mimic Axe Ultra Presets

ETOLKIEN

Experienced
I have the Axe Ultra since February, in these ten months I have learned a lot of things and I have it set to my liking.
This Christmas I purchased the Axe2 Mark I (bravo!) and I’m discovering their potential, having the Ultra helped me because both devices share many things.
One of the things I wanted to do with my new device was to replicate my favourite hi-gain preset that I have in the Axe Ultra. This is a stereo patch with a Fuzz Bender drive, gate / expander, two amps panned (Das metal 100% left and Recto New 100% right), a parametric EQ and the 4x12 V30 cab.
First I copy/pasted the parameters one by one and as expected the translation sounds not close, they are different devices…in the Axe2 sounds more rough and sharp.
Then I became interested in the ToneMatch block and how it works, then I thought I could link the output of the Ultra to input 2 of the Axe2 ... I replaced the cab with a Tonemach block to give the final touch that hopefully can bring me to my old preset and here is the result.
Here I put several files that I describe below:

1. Ultra LTM: A tonematch of the ultra preset left channel, ie DAS METAL amp
2. Ultra LTMcut: The previous preset sounds flubby with some guitars, I get rid of this pushing the CUT switch.
3. Ultra RTMV: A tonematch of the right channel, was the ultra RECTO NEW amp that I translated to RECTO RED VINTAGE of the Axe2
4. Ultra2TM okbundle: The two channels panned into one stereo preset with user cabs included in bundle. I exported each Tonemach block to a user cab because you can run only one instance of TM and I needed 2. I put it in two separate paths for playing two guitars with minor tweakings. Row 2 is 100% left (DAS METAL) and Row 3 100% the right channel (RECTO). You can experiment with the volume / pan of each channel in the mixer output.
5. Ultra2TM ok, U030_ULTRALTM, U031_ULTRARTM: Same as point 4 but I put the preset and cabs separate if you don’t like messing with bundles, the IR ULTRALTM goes to cab block 1 and ULTRARTM to cab block 2.

I would be honored to receive your opinions!

Attachments

• UltraLTM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
  • UltraLTMcut.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
  • UltraRTMV.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Ultra2TM Okbundle.syx
    27.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Ultra2TM Ok.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
  • U030_ULTRALTM.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 14
  • U031_ULTRARTM.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 14
Hey, could you do me a huge favor? If you have the time could you tonematch the presets: recto lead and evil 800? What firmware are you using on the ultra? I regret not tonematching them.

Oh man, too late, I sold my ultra 2 weeks ago, sorry!

mmm...presets 284 and 301 right?

I'm thinking some ways to peel this cat...I gather you have Axe2 now...
1. The better option is open a thread and ask if someone have the 2 units and can make this tonematch for you, this presets are pretty straightforward, a gen1 standard can do the job, not only the Ultra.
2. If you don't find nobody you can simply ask to a standard/ultra owner if he can load this presets and make a short WAV clip playing (guitar alone), then he can send this file to you and you can make the tonematch yourself with your axe2. Avoid MP3, is better a short WAV clip of 10 seconds, there's no need for more.
3. Or build a brand new preset in Axe2, in fact you have a superior weapon now (testosterone aside:rolleyes:)

For any of this 3 options you have to build a "Starter" preset in the axe2 that can put you in the ballpark. Tonematch can give you the final touch (or your ears in option 3).
A way for do this is to look at the parameters of this presets and replicate the blocks in your Axe2 like I did.
How you look at the parameters? install this version of Axe edit, is old and can work offline without axes connected (newer versions of axe edit are incompatible with Gen1 and need a device attached).
http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeEdit/Legacy versions/AxeFX Standard and Ultra/Axe-Edit_Setup_1_0_188.exe
Load the presets and you can look all the parameters, be creative and if you don't find the same effect in the Axe2 choose a similar one.

I have the original Ultra preset files, you have them below attached.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 284 Recto Lead.syx
    2 KB · Views: 18
  • 301 Evil 800.syx
    2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom