First Tone Match Attempt - AIC and VH

Dave Z

Inspired
I have attempted my first try at tone matching the following songs:

Alice In Chains "Would"
Van Halen "Panama"

I used a Fender Strat with EMG81 pickup, and the isolated original guitar tracks for both songs.
For AIC, I enabled the bright switch on the amp after I completed the tone match. For VH, I didn't change any amp settings after tone match.
I added reverb to both presets after tone matching.

I would like to see if these presets work for others, and I welcome all feedback in this process to see how these can be tweaked.

Thanks!

Dave Z

Attachments

• AIC WOULD TM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 222
  • PANAMA TM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 219
presets work well and sound good. With my setup i think i would need to make em a bit brighter to 100% match the originals.

I like the AIC one, I can't say anything from trying to reference off the actual songs since I don't have them, but it definitely seems like the tones feel a bit more alive now! I ended up wiping my axe clean and loaded the fresh banks and started from scratch again.

Nice work!

Very nice! The AIC tone is a bit too filtered along the high end, but sounds chunky and mix ready!!! Sweet :) Can't wait to hear what everyone else is doing with tone matching! Exchanging patches just got more funs!

Dave good tones, just curious were these done at bedroom type volumes? Have you tried these pre sets loud at band volume? I found at high volumes like I would use live they did not retain the same quality as with lower volume. Also how do you find the dynamics of solo tone to chord/riffs with Tone Matching at low or high volume?

Dave good tones, just curious were these done at bedroom type volumes? Have you tried these pre sets loud at band volume? I found at high volumes like I would use live they did not retain the same quality as with lower volume. Also how do you find the dynamics of solo tone to chord/riffs with Tone Matching at low or high volume?

Thanks. I did these at a very low bedroom volume. I don't get the chance to crank up too often, so I have no idea how they would sound at a louder volume.

I'm going to try to redo these tone matches since I have been reading more tips on how to improve the process. I'm also going to use a mono source audio reference track to avoid any potential phase issues.

Back
Top Bottom