First time playing in church with my ultra...WOW!

webe123

Inspired
I was kinda nervous when I set up my EV 112P FRFR and ultra to play using my PRS Modern Eagle 1 private stock and Fender 57 re-issue strat guitars I play through it. But I simply found some sounds I liked for both guitars , made sure they were all level and did a soundcheck and played. That is one of the absolute BEST setups I have ever played through! Bar none!

I love my mesa boogie lonestar 2x12 amp, but it stays home.

I just wish I had of gotten an ultra or standard years ago if I could have afforded it.

Now I know all the fun I have been missing.

The best part for me is not even the fantastic effects or amps it has, but the way I can take a very hard distortion sound and play it, then stop and listen. NOTHING...no hiss..no noise at all going through the PA! Just good sound when I am playing, other than that it is silent.

This is a very important part to those playing praise and worship music. I used to use line 6 stuff, but I always had problems no matter WHAT I did with noise through the PA.

I really was not expecting the ultra to be that quiet...even on hard distortion sounds I use for power chords...but it is!

I got a lot of compliments about the sound as I am next to the praise singers and was nervous about it sounding too loud. But they said it sounded fine and had no problems hearing themselves over me. Which is good, because I had it cranked.

One VERY happy customer here! Maybe one day I may even buy an axe fx II. But for now, this is great!

Last edited:
how do you have the EV 112P setup? like a wedge or vertical? and if it's like a wedge, have you had trouble with it being too bassy with the floor coupling?

i have an EV 112P on the way to use with my Axe Standard and I'm a little worried about this.

^The best thing for the EV112P is a speaker stand, or it CAN get pretty bassy.

Glad you having fun with it live - that's where the ultra really shines....I always think it's just me having fun live in my own little corner, but then friends post up recordings and I'm like 'wow, is that the CD'?!? LOL :lol

Man, I sure can resonate with that. I use my Ultra in church, on stage with my band (check link) and in the studio. All of my amps just collect dust now. I am in the final stages of working on our new album, and I have not used one amp. Not one. All of my tracks were recorded using the Ultra. I guess I'd like to have the FX-II as well, but knowing that does not make my Ultra any less of a killer tone machine. Cliff and the folks at Fractal are da bomb.

how do you have the EV 112P setup? like a wedge or vertical? and if it's like a wedge, have you had trouble with it being too bassy with the floor coupling?

i have an EV 112P on the way to use with my Axe Standard and I'm a little worried about this.

I have it on a guitar stand. It is a lot closer to my ear that way.

But as was suggested, a speaker stand would work also.

Anything to get it up off the floor and closer to your ear would work.

I used my ultra first at church and like you WOW I tweaked a plexi patch for some Lincoln Brewster stuff and it just rocks, we always record it and the other guitar player who plays when I dont uses a top hat or divided by 13 amp and lots of high end pedals and my tone is always right on.

I use my ultra at church all the time. Three different bands every week. I've never had any trouble keeping up with tube amps and massive synth stuff.

I used my ultra first at church and like you WOW I tweaked a plexi patch for some Lincoln Brewster stuff and it just rocks, we always record it and the other guitar player who plays when I dont uses a top hat or divided by 13 amp and lots of high end pedals and my tone is always right on.

Try the shredmaster with the plexi for Lincoln solo tones. Whoa.

I am going to be singing Still calls me son by John Waller tomorrow at church. I have a part where I play along with the track that has a video added to it. Should be fun!

I have it on a guitar stand. It is a lot closer to my ear that way.

But as was suggested, a speaker stand would work also.

Anything to get it up off the floor and closer to your ear would work.

i wonder if some kind of a small plastic crate would work. I'd really like to have it down close to the other wedges shooting up at me. I kinda like having a little distance between it and my ear so i can turn it up loud enough to have a little stage volume.

I have had my ultra for about a year and it still amazes me.

recently started bringing it to church and i am amazed at how well it sounds live.

next step is an axe 2. but that might be a while.

the ultra is so good that the axe 2 must be really good if that makes sense.

2nd time at church

Well, the first time I was scared to use my ultra. This time I had some time to tweak. I used Cork sniffer and Mr Dumble with a few tweaks of my own. Wow, got some great reviews..... forget the reviews, I loved playing Dumble's for rhythm and lead........!!!! Have some Recto and MKIV stuff too.......and the EJ clean was/is simply amazing. A bit quite on the preset, but was able to bring that up, played that thru a God of All Splendor, while my wife sang lead......awesome.

Mike M

Back
Top Bottom