First test... Non-djenty Metal

Comments/criticisms welcome.
This is my first test recording with the new Axe-Fx.
I'm kinda thinking the whole thing is a bit too bright. My monitors always trick me that way, but I'm pretty pleased with the tone so far, considering that this my first patch, and there is no post processing on the guitar at all.

Recorded direct using:
Drive - TS-808
Amp - Energyball
Cab - German 4x12

Two tracks per side, one each with no mic, one each w/57.

Cheers.

http://soundcloud.com/prayfordarkness/axe-fx-test-01

Hey thanks for the kind words, guys! Do you feel like the whole thing sounds too trebly, or is it okay?

decipher, I don't know anything about the Axechange thing yet... I've installed Axe-Edit, but haven't really gotten into it yet, but honestly, there's nothing to this patch! lol
Just a very simple chain, a T808 in the drive block, followed by the Energyball amp, and German 4x12 cab. That's all. I can go through specifics if you want me to.

I'm playing a 7-string in standard B tuning.

Sounded very good to me.

The guitars are not "too" bright, and sit well with the drums. Widening the guitars - getting a little bit more of a stereo feel from them, would sound even better. I'd like to hear the progression of the song highlight some other notes in the scale. I think that would add to the already interesting, and accurate playing you possess and make the song a little more interesting.

Really, very well done.

My $0.02

Peace!

diggi & silentrage, thank you! :)

diggi:
I have the guitars panned 80-80 already... you would hard pan them completely?

And yeah, I kind of agree with you about maybe varying the riffs a bit. The thing was, I had dialed up this tone, and wanted to do a test recording, so I very quickly came up with these parts right then to try to cover a lot of ground in a short time lol. So I have some kind of technical, multi-stringed melody, some trem-picking on the other side, some fast-picked, harmonized triplet 16th's, and then some palm-muted heavy chunk at the end. It was only for the tone test, but after hearing it played back, I really like them, so I'll probably work them into an actual song now. :D

I think it's definitely song-worthy, I would add a simple higher pitch melody line like most of the songs on Obzen, but that's just me, the song is pretty good as it is. I so wish I could write stuff like this spontaneously. :(
Maybe when my standard gets here I'll be inspired enough to do it?

Ive try to get away from the german cab, but i always come back to it. Recently i paired it up with the 1x12 black speaker, which i think works really good with it.

Nice work!
Guitars sound maybe a little thin,but 99.9% better than most in this style of music .Clean and articulate,just how I like it! :twisted:

Yeah dude, nice tone, it has quite an Andy Sneap-ish vibe. Definitely pan the guitars 100% each way, and maybe even experiment with a stereo widener to make more space down the middle for the vocal, snare, kick and bass guitar... speaking of which, this is screaming for a massive, biting bass tone to really get the low end growling.

Nolly said:
Yeah dude, nice tone, it has quite an Andy Sneap-ish vibe. Definitely pan the guitars 100% each way, and maybe even experiment with a stereo widener to make more space down the middle for the vocal, snare, kick and bass guitar... speaking of which, this is screaming for a massive, biting bass tone to really get the low end growling.

:D Thanks man! Funny you say that. Andy Sneap is definitely one of my favorite producers, and two weekends ago, at the Noctis Metal Fest here in Calgary, I was very fortunate to be able to meet him in person and actually sit down with him one on one, and pick his brain for some mixing tips. I didn't have a lot of time with him, but I learned a few things about what he does (and doesn't do) with a mix, and even got to just chat about some regular-jackoff stuff, like guitars and pickup preferences, string gauges and tunings, and of course, the AXE-FX! ;)
He was very interested when I told him I'm selling off my Engl preamp after getting an Axe-FX, and said he's been wanting to give one a try, and that he's been hearing good stuff about Fractal. He seemed to know a fair bit about it already, and mentioned how Chris and Dave from Megadeth are using them live now, and I think... he said that Jeff Loomis used one for solos on the new Nevermore album... Not 100% sure of that, though...
I told him to have a listen to the two tracks on my Soundcloud page, and emailed him a link, and he emailed me back last week and said it sounds "pretty cool, actually" :eek: which I take as a big compliment, of course! I didn't even expect him to actually listen, never mind write back and say something nice! :lol:

Anyway thanks for the kind words, Nolly, and the advice, I'm working on a more complete version now (as well as a bunch of other stuff...).
I'm actually a fan of your work too, btw. Always great sounding stuff!

Wicked, that's great you heard back from him!
Very cool that you like my stuff, I have to admit that for my band's album I ended up getting the rhythm tracks reamped through a "real" rig, but my Axe-FX is going nowhere :)

Back
Top Bottom