First steps to building custom presets using Firmware 5's new features!

solo-act said:
Great job and thanks!

If I could add anything it'd be to remember dynamics and motor drive are very interactive. Good idea to revisit one after touching the other and vice versa.

You're very welcome.

Absolutely, good point and couldn't agree more!

Great post- thanks for the time and effort.

When I get time lately, I've been trying to read through threads and I routinely come across some great info. like this that helps me to better understand the Axe and how to dial it in. Smilefan has been doing something similar in his preset threads where he explains how some of the amp tab settings work and how they relate to a real amp, etc. Very helpful and interesting. The thing is, you have to stay on top of reading on the forum to find this stuff and stay up with it, especially with the amount of progress Fractal is making with updates, etc. I guess the wiki is supposed to keep all this available for reference, although I'm assuming it's damn near impossible to keep up the pace sometimes. I'm fairly new to the Axe so I'm still building my base knowledge of the unit and how it works, leaning on my years of experience with tube amps, FX, etc.

Fun ride how ever you slice it... thanks for the all the helpful posts

Great post- thanks for the time and effort.

When I get time lately, I've been trying to read through threads and I routinely come across some great info. like this that helps me to better understand the Axe and how to dial it in. Smilefan has been doing something similar in his preset threads where he explains how some of the amp tab settings work and how they relate to a real amp, etc. Very helpful and interesting. The thing is, you have to stay on top of reading on the forum to find this stuff and stay up with in thit, especially with the amount of progress Fractal is making with updates, etc. I guess the wiki is supposed to keep all this available for reference, although I'm assuming it's damn near impossible to keep up the pace sometimes. I'm fairly new to the Axe so I'm still building my base knowledge of the unit and how it works, leaning on my years of experience with tube amps, FX, etc.

Fun ride how ever you slice it... thanks for the all the helpful posts

You're very welcome.

Yes it has been all consuming lately. The WIKI is probably the best central reference point as you mentioned.

Smilefan has made some great contributions in building presets and I have learned from him for sure. I can't wait to try out the new SSS preset created by him and Austin Buddy. That's got to be good!

Your existing knowledge and seasoned ears from time spent with amps and effects will serve you well in the AxeFX realm so you have a leg up. Enjoy the ride and I hope to one day see presets from you!

Dude, thanks so much for this. I was doing everything exactly like you described (which makes me feel rather intelligent), but I had missed the motor drive option in the cab block. I read what Scott said over on TGP and just assumed that he was talking about the speaker drive in the dynamics tab.

Oh and thanks for forming complete sentences and thoughts and even using paragraphs! :)

OK, I get it now. I thought that I had it last night, but I just went through about 5 presets real quick and I'm getting the full works now. I won't say that the motor drive setting is the single biggest improvement I've ever heard to a patch in my entire life, but it's noticeable and it does kind of just add that last little bit of 'awwww, there it is' to the whole thing. As a whole though v5 is pretty much what I was fanticizing about when I placed the order.

Man I wish I could just take like a week or two off from work to really enjoy this thing.

Very well done Manny. I really appreciate the fact that Cliff gives us an 'over-abundence' of each of these new parameters - it help us to hear very clearly what the process is, and allows the option to go for 'over-the-top' sounds when desired! :)

shasha said:
OK, I get it now. I thought that I had it last night, but I just went through about 5 presets real quick and I'm getting the full works now. I won't say that the motor drive setting is the single biggest improvement I've ever heard to a patch in my entire life, but it's noticeable and it does kind of just add that last little bit of 'awwww, there it is' to the whole thing. As a whole though v5 is pretty much what I was fanticizing about when I placed the order.

Man I wish I could just take like a week or two off from work to really enjoy this thing.

You're very welcome and I'm very glad this has been useful to so many. These positive responses have me thinking I will do more of these in the future concentrating on different features in each one.

I agree with your v5 assessment too. You are definitely getting more for your money when you're leveraging these features to your benefit. Notice the 'grind' (read beautiful disanence) you get with these 3 new parameters engaged when playing close intervals like double stops and two note bends... The overtones just go crazy when an amp is pushed like this and Aerosmith licks tend to just flow out of me... It's just a matter of balance to achieve this 'driven to tears' growl and still retain enough of the clarity of the individual notes.

Preaching to the choir on taking time off work for Axe FX, I've given up sleep to compensate. :)

Last edited:
Radley said:
Very well done Manny. I really appreciate the fact that Cliff gives us an 'over-abundence' of each of these new parameters - it help us to hear very clearly what the process is, and allows the option to go for 'over-the-top' sounds when desired! :)

Thanks Radley, I agree and I will unapologetically set a parameter to zero in one preset and dime it in the next :)!

Last edited:
Manny, what a great writing style! Comprehensive and entertaining, great job.

About Speaker Drive: it is set at certain values (often around 3) in the factory presets, but its default value (when resetting an amp by pressing Bypass twice quickly) is zero.

I saved this thread and will add it to the wiki when I have time. Keep on going!

yek said:
Manny, what a great writing style! Comprehensive and entertaining, great job.

About Speaker Drive: it is set at certain values (often around 3) in the factory presets, but its default value (when resetting an amp by pressing Bypass twice quickly) is zero.

I saved this thread and will add it to the wiki when I have time. Keep on going!

Thanks Yek, it was the contributions of Scott Peterson and yourself, as well as too many others to mention (however Smilefan should definitely be mentioned), that helped me along in coming up to speed with the Axe FX. These tutorials will be my way of 'paying it forward' in a small way.

Thank you also for the clarification on Speaker Drive, I will go back through the process myself and then edit my steps to reflect these changes.

I am happy to continue creating these tutorials as the feedback has been positive, both here and in PMs, (I also have some further ideas on the subject and I am also open to suggestions) so please review as they release and keep me honest.

Thanks again,

Manny

Reactions: yek
What a great, well written, helpfull post. I will use this procedure on many of the deeper parameters.

To keep this very introductory we are only going to talk about two of the new parameters but they are great additions, and worth being very comfortable with. These two parameters are the Amp blocks 'Dynamics' and the Cab blocks 'Motor Drive'.

Manny

Great stuff! Wish I was home so I could do some tweaking. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm really glad you found this helpful. I hope to get another tutorial out soon, but work has had me traveling and going around the clock since I released this. As soon as work slows down a little, I'll release another.

Back
Top Bottom