First show With the III.....

dpeterson

Axe-Master
Sound check, everything fine. First band setup, played, about an hour later we go on..... white screen of death. :(. My heart sank. Quickly turned off and back on, same. Turned on my wireless, still had sound, went over to board, patch changes worked. I got through the show. Couldn’t tune, luckily had a poly tune clip on.

I’ve never needed a backup, but will be figuring out something soon. Amazing how I’ve used for months no issue, first gig it takes a dump. What are the odds. Was terrified it would die the whole show. Uggh.

Update: ticket submitted, received RMA on Sunday!, Shipping back today.

Last edited:
:grimacing::grimacing:
Sound check, everything fine. First band setup, played, about an hour later we go on..... white screen of death. :(. My heart sank. Quickly turned off and back on, same. Turned on my wireless, still had sound, went over to board, patch changes worked. I got through the show. Couldn’t tune, luckily had a poly tune clip on.

I’ve never needed a backup, but will be figuring out something soon. Amazing how I’ve used for months no issue, first gig it takes a dump. What are the odds. Was terrified it would die the whole show. Uggh.

Will shoot tech support an email tomorrow.

:frowning:
I know ...FAS support is incredible and will “Get ‘er Done” ...but wow ...scary :grimacing:

I would have been in a complete panic. Hopefully I got my white screen issue out of the way early (first week). I played out with my Axe FX II for years without an issue so I am betting this was just an early release oversight. I am keeping my old one as a backup just in case

Will shoot tech support an email tomorrow.
Which FW?

It would be nice if Fractal could share what the causes are of this White Screen of Death. Is it something that, worst case, we could fix on our own, like a loose connector?

My Art X-15 controller would always have transport issues with ribbon cables coming loose, even though it is a tank. I opened it up and used hot glue to make sure they would not accidentally come loose. Never had a problem since.
With that said, I would not do this to my AXE III, while it is under warranty. But if this is the problem, causing the white screen, maybe Fractal TS could secure whatever cables are inside.

Maybe a cable to the display became loose during transport.

If thats the case they need to use locking connectors or hot glue. It was impossible for me to operate on it at this show. It was babied all the way to the show too.

The latest FW is a beta, in general I would worry about gigging with beta FW. But with that said, what @yek said does seem more likely. Hope you get it resolved, and please share with us what you find out.

I have for years with my ultra, and then my II, and this one seems nobody was having issues. I think the problem is some faulty screens. Like anything there is a few out of X that are bad. I will be on the backup search. I gave my II to my son, so that is a no go, so i need something small that can get me through.

I seem to remember Cliff saying something about the screen driver failed on some of the white screen failures. I could have completely made that up though.. My memory is iffy. Definitely scary though. It's hard to perform your best when you are wondering if your amp is going to die. In a perfect world I'd have an AX8 in the bag for a back up.

It would be nice if Fractal could share what the causes are of this White Screen of Death. Is it something that, worst case, we could fix on our own, like a loose connector?

Search the previous white screen threads, Cliff did say what the issue is.

I have for years with my ultra, and then my II, and this one seems nobody was having issues. I think the problem is some faulty screens. Like anything there is a few out of X that are bad. I will be on the backup search. I gave my II to my son, so that is a no go, so i need something small that can get me through.
I always have a Primary and a Secondary. After I went modeler and bought a KPA, I realized (through direct experience) that bringing an amp with a huge pedalboard as backup was just too much gross tonnage. Rather than buy another KPA, I bought my first FAS (xl+). I figured it would be cool to have two similar but different pieces of gear for back-up. I’m still glad I did it. I was early on the III list, and bought it mid-late March. Love it, but it can’t be Primary, while I have to wait for the FC. [Please, no more midi-people telling me to drop $1200 on competitive product that doesn’t make a sound. I’ll wait for FAS FC.] So the KPA to the rescue. This has been my solution. Since I’m using the two (theoretically) for identical tasks, I know quite a bit about how they compare.

ps. My III had the white screen just after delivery. Customer Service was great. Only took about ten days to get it back and receive the replacement III. Most of that time was delivery back and forth, MI to NH to MI. FAS turn-around was same-day. Terrific.

I always have a Primary and a Secondary. After I went modeler and bought a KPA, I realized (through direct experience) that bringing an amp with a huge pedalboard as backup was just too much gross tonnage. Rather than buy another KPA, I bought my first FAS (xl+). I figured it would be cool to have two similar but different pieces of gear for back-up. I’m still glad I did it. I was early on the III list, and bought it mid-late March. Love it, but it can’t be Primary, while I have to wait for the FC. [Please, no more midi-people telling me to drop $1200 on competitive product that doesn’t make a sound. I’ll wait for FAS FC.] So the KPA to the rescue. This has been my solution. Since I’m using the two (theoretically) for identical tasks, I know quite a bit about how they compare.

ps. My III had the white screen just after delivery. Customer Service was great. Only took about ten days to get it back and receive the replacement III. Most of that time was delivery back and forth, MI to NH to MI. FAS turn-around was same-day. Terrific.

It makes sense, but sometimes not practical for people. Just going to have to carry another thing now. Might pick up another II since the price dropped so dramatically, or one of those mooer pedals.

I really hope it's not ten days here, but i'm in Ohio so it'll probably be. I have to figure out something for rehearsals this week, and gig in 2.

Don’t get me wrong. I sold a bunch of stuff, to get the FAS. All my boutique pedals. Plus a great amp. And I had to do it again. Three months later, the III was introduced.

Back
Top Bottom