First show with Dyna Cab - Bust

chrisxs2003

Inspired
Well, as the title says my first show with Dyna Cab was not good. Back to the drawing board (5153 amp model and 5153 cab using Dynamic 2 and Ribbon).

Our new JBL line array speakers are really, really good. Unforgiving.

It's difficult to describe what it sounded like, but there was a high frequency hiss like halo that I just couldn't hear at home. I think it's coming from the Dynamic 2 mic cab. I always use my IEM buds to tweak my tones at home but my ears failed me this time. I heard it in the in mains during the first song of the show, mainly in my rhythm tone. It wasn't as pronounced in solo scenes where I'm playing single notes lines. Our engineer couldn't correct it during the show.

Wish I could tweak my tones with the PA but that's just not possible. Back to the drawing board

I didn't hear it in my IEMs at home. I use Shure SE846 buds and I trust them. But, when I got home and had time to dissect things and knew it was there, I could hear it. I think it was there with my previous legacy IRs but it didn't "appear" with those. I DON'T think it's a bug, it's me and my preset.

I use a lot of gain for sustain on a silent stage. That coupled with our new, crazy good, transparent, JBL Line Array speakers (6 per side) it appeared

I had a laptop, but didn't know it until I was playing the first song. We only do quick line checks, no full sound checks. It's an outdoor summer concert series show, 2-hour show. No break. With a 2 Hour set up/load-in window there isn't time for a full sound check

Our engineer owns a recording studio. I'm going there to figure things out.

My only point with this post is just to share my experience

The audience loved us. It's 80's rock -Journey, Styx, Loverboy, Jovi, etc - what's not to like :)

Our engineer pulled me down in the mix except for solos. I heard several comments like, "great show but I couldn't hear you as well tonight". Credit our engineer.
What band if you don’t mind sharing?

Was there no gate or high shelf EQ on the board?

For an experienced mixer, owning a studio or not, EQ is usually the second move to fix a hiss, if a gate is not available on the board to use as a first move, rather than pulling someone down in the mix (which should be the last resort).

The engineer has a PEQ set for my guitar. It cuts some low end and boosts 2k range so I sit well in the mix. This also leaves my IEM signal unchanged so I have the sound I like in my ears. Not sure what all he tried but it ended up pulling me down. He knows what he's doing

We have FOH scenes saved for most of the venues we play. This makes full sound checks way less important so long as nobody changes something. I changed something... fairly significant. I went to the show thinking this was the best my guitar has ever sounded

I didn't write this post blame anyone other than myself. My point is to those like me who change things and go play big shows - be careful :cool:

My aging ears aren't what they once were. I've been playing for 45+ years

Back
Top Bottom