First one I've seen on ebay...talk about markup!

My best guess on the reasoning behind it, and it is just that, is that the limitation is a motivator for the buyer to purchase new instead of used.
If they are innovating and offering that new alternative it would be a win-win scenario; They still sell a new unit and someone has the best support available. It's all good for the brand, instead of having mixed feelings about this specific policy.

As far as warranties go , It's common for machinery that costs well over a 1/2 million dollars to have only a one year warranty.
.... and for the record , I personally would have paid more than the current Fractal selling price for the AX8 , so the idea of paying extra , AND getting the unit sooner , isn't exactly absurd.
What I find hard to believe in this thread , is that someone is ACTUALLY willing to part with an AX8 , and sell it on Feebay - AT ANY PRICE !!!

I'm really surprised someone hasn't scooped this up yet....
I'm not. The AX8 largely plays to a different crowd then the Axe Fx. A lot of people on the waitlist are getting in for the first time because they couldn't afford a Fractal product before now. They can't afford or aren't willing to pay the upcharge. The vast majority of the rest of the people who can afford it likely either already have an Axe Fx or some other rig that will suffice in the meantime, thus they don't feel the need to pay the premium. I doubt there are many people who would be willing and able to pay that much extra just to get it a few weeks/months early.

I'm not. The AX8 largely plays to a different crowd then the Axe Fx. A lot of people on the waitlist are getting in for the first time because they couldn't afford a Fractal product before now. They can't afford or aren't willing to pay the upcharge. The vast majority of the rest of the people who can afford it likely either already have an Axe Fx or some other rig that will suffice in the meantime, thus they don't feel the need to pay the premium. I doubt there are many people who would be willing and able to pay that much extra just to get it a few weeks/months early.
I thought there would be someone out there that would buy this though. There are a few people who sold their rigs banking on getting one of these soon. That's obviously not happening and there is a huge demand for this unit. It could be a year wait for some people at this point. Who knows...

If he had a buy it now price, I might have bitten, since I tend to be an early adopter. The day the "wait forever, unless you are a VIP" list went live, I was busy at work and didn't check the forum for 2 hours (7:42 pm), so I may not get the unit for several months. Also, sold my FX8 to fund the Ax8 and there is an empty space on my desk where the AX8 would fit nicely. Oh well, patience is a crappy virtue.

I dunno....around 11 hours left and not a single bid yet.

What do y'all think? Will it be a last minute snipe fest or will it not even sell?

Obviously it's not illegal, and it's not even uncommon, but I find it to definitely be unethical to buy something that is known to be in short supply, with the specific reason to gouge other people for it on eBay. But hey, for it to work, someone has to buy it, because they see the value in it. I just certainly wouldn't support such a person, myself. I feel the same way about ticket scalpers. It's not illegal, but it is BS, IMO.
This is not bread and water. This is a LUXURY item. The whole concept of gouging does not apply here.

If somebody wants it bad enough to buy it, then it's worth it FOR THEM and for the seller. End of story.

Last edited:
... What I find hard to believe in this thread , is that someone is ACTUALLY willing to part with an AX8 ... AT ANY PRICE !!!

Unless maybe they have TWO ! :eek::confused:

As far markup - People go nuts over a beat up 50's era Strat. Way out of warranty. And someone once payed almost a million dollars for a black parts 'caster owned by the cream of British guitar deities. But I'm guessing that's more about rubbing the magic lamp to invoke the genie of celebrity.

The markup might be akin to selling tire chains in a blizzard. Might be worth it to someone. It isn't chump change to me, but if you have deep pockets, or gig every day and don't want to wait, why not?

Last edited:
Nobody bids on auctions until the end it will sell
This behaviour has always mystified me. eBay provides an auto-bid solution that's perfect. Bid "sniping" is bizarre. You put the max you're willing to pay and you walk away. People who are all, "But I sniped it at the last minute and got it for $X instead of $Y!" really weren't willing to pay $Y in the first place and just should have put $X in as the amount they were willing to pay.

People are strange.

This behaviour has always mystified me. eBay provides an auto-bid solution that's perfect. Bid "sniping" is bizarre. You put the max you're willing to pay and you walk away. People who are all, "But I sniped it at the last minute and got it for $X instead of $Y!" really weren't willing to pay $Y in the first place and just should have put $X in as the amount they were willing to pay.

People are strange.

I completely disagree. Bidding early gives onlookers time to decide that "they really can afford to bid and extra $50 to get widget X". The competition aspect can lead to you being outbid. But if you don't put in your bid until the last moment, that's less likely to happen. So for years and years, I've used a free auction sniping service (auctionstealer.com). You can still "bid and forget it", but you're more likely to win what you're bidding on/win for a lower price. Doing it any other way doesn't make sense. But hey, people are strange :D
-
Austin

I completely disagree. Bidding early gives onlookers time to decide that "they really can afford to bid and extra $50 to get widget X". The competition aspect can lead to you being outbid. But if you don't put in your bid until the last moment, that's less likely to habit. So for years and years, I've used a free auction sniping service (auctionstealer.com). You can still "bid and forget it", but you're more likely to win what you're bidding on/win for a lower price. Doing it any other way doesn't make sense. But hey, people are strange :D
-
Austin

People are irrational; the value they place on an item is influenced by what others are prepared to pay, not just what it is worth to them. They can also get caught up in "auction madness" and bid more than they otherwise would. For these reasons, a sniping service makes sense.

Philo

It will only take ONE person to start bidding for the many "watchers" to get bidding as well. IF someone starts bidding within reasonable time, this AX8 could sell for way more than the $2250 he is asking for.

If I did not have my Axe-Fx Xl+ and had the money, I would probably get bidding IF someone starts bidding first. Like someone else said, if he had a buy now price, even if it was higher, he would probably have sold it a while ago...

Yea, ebay sniping is par for the course. What you are willing to pay is subjective to what others are willing to pay, and if they are staying up and bidding during the last minute

Yes, sniping is better than bidding because people don't have time to be 'rational'. It's basically a rapid auction that doesn't give a lot of people enough time to even consider what the max amount they are willing to pay is. Additionally, a lot of people forget or lose signal, etc. and don't get their bids in. So you do stand a better chance to get items at a lower price with sniping. If we were all computers, bidding WOULD be the perfect system...

Back
Top Bottom