First mixing attempt, feedback wanted! (Rock band w/vocals)

JohnIce

This is my first attempt at mixing a full band, so I'd love to hear some pointers! Any input on panning, levels, eq, compression etc. is VERY appreciated :)

I've got limited monitoring options though so I'd like to know what it sounds like on your systems. I think it might be a bit too bassy, and the vocals might be a little low in the mix. The whole song turned out a bit low in volume, but that's ok as I've got some headroom to spare :) I'll fix that in the next mixdown.

The rhythm guitar is a combination of the FAS Crunch and the Plexi, and the lead guitar is a Mark IIC+. The bass is also recorded through the Axe.

Here it is, let me know what you think:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1038156

Good first attempt! Here are my suggestions (one man's opinion, IMHO, YMMV etc.):

1) I gotta have more cowbell!!!
2) I'm not hearing enough mids overall. I would add more upper mids specifically to the rhythm guitar and organ.
3) I could use a little less of the ride cymbal and crash cymbals. They are a little bit tinny. I would maybe use a high-cut to get some of the ultra-highs out.
4) I would wetten up the lead vox. To me, it seems a little to forward in the mix. I wouldn't use reverb though... i'd go with some slap-back delay.
5) To make the bass standout a bit more, throw a low-cut on it and then boost the lower mids.
6) The solo was perfect for my tastes! Don't touch it!

For reference purposes, I listened to Time Bomb by Rancid right after your song because it kinda had a similar vibe to me. To me, all the ingredients are there--- you just need the song to have a bit more 'punch'.

Cheers,

-AL

Wow, thanks a lot, man! Those are some very specific and helpful tips, I'll try them out as soon as possible!

I'll check out the Rancid song too, I've had a hard time finding reference material for our band because it's a style I don't normally listen to (eventhough I'm the only songwriter :lol: ).

Cheers, mate!

There are some basics to keep in mind. The drums and the bass are a little undefined in this first try. You have everything mixed to the middle. You can bring out some things by panning them a little left or a little right. Each instrument has it's own best frequency range to it. Try to segregate frequency ranges for each instrument a little more. Try to imagine the band on stage with bass on the left, guitar on the left of center or right. Put the singer in the middle and split the drum set up into just off left or right. If you use a low pass filter on the drums then you can bring them up a little more. In that way they won't clobber the guitar and the singer.

Thanks! I've toyed around with the panning but nothing too radical. I'll try spreading it all out a bit more. And as alcadwell also said, I'll cut some lower and higher frequencies to bring out the bass and kick drum and tame the overheads a bit (which need some panning aswell).

Good tips so far, thanks guys!

The first thing that pops in the mind is the contrast between
the wide-stereo organ and the rest of the band that seems almost mono.

The vocal levels are fine, maybe even too loud once you start panning the instruments.

Bass needs more defined room, a little complementary EQ'ing will do wonders to the entire track.
I used to have a very good article about it but I can't find it.
If you don't know what it is, try this link, it will at least introduce the idea:
http://www.mixmymusic.net/complimentary ... entary-eq/

But start with the panning, the track is so narrow there is no imaging or depth at all.

;)

AndrewSimon said:

The vocal levels are fine, maybe even too loud once you start panning the instruments.

Bass needs more defined room, a little complementary EQ'ing will do wonders to the entire track.
If you don't know what it is, try this link, it will at least introduce the idea:

But start with the panning, the track is so narrow there is no imaging or depth at all.

;)

Nice, thanks man! I'll give it a go. :)

JohnIce said:
AndrewSimon said:

;)

Nice, thanks man! I'll give it a go. :)

I little goes a long way.
I usually give the bass a narrow +3dB and apply the same narrow -3dB to everything else.
Sometimes I go a little higher but never beyond 6dB

You can do the same for guitars, vocals and so on.

You can easily experiment by creating a narrow +3dB peak and then just sweep it
to find the "magic" spot in the frequency spectrum.

;)

Alright, I updated the song based on the suggestions here and from a few other places :) Let me know what you think!

JohnIce said:
Alright, I updated the song based on the suggestions here and from a few other places :) Let me know what you think!

Well... it's much better.... isn't it?
Can it be improved even more?..... sure!

For example (and this is also a mater of taste)
- The Rhythm and Solo guitars are panned at the same location... why?
The Solo guitar should be centered or panned to the opposite side.
- I would give the singer a little reverb
- I would narrow that Organ (there is still a contrast there)
- Bass, not sure what's going on there, for bass make sure it's mono
and it's in the center.
- The entire song could use some "warming up" are you using any
compressors, limiters?

I can give it a go if you want to e-mail me the tracks.
PM me if you want to.

;)

Thanks, Andrew! I've updated it again, I think the panning should be ok now... it's pretty much like I want it now, although it might be a bit trebly, I only have one set of phones for reference so far. So I might remaster it and cut some treble later on.

I'll be uploading the Cubase 5 projects on the web sometime soon, a friend of mine wanted to play around with them aswell, I'll let you know when they're up! :) Thanks again for all the help!

Alright, after mixing the rest of the EP, I went back and re-did this one from the ground up :) Please let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom