First Live Gig going FRFR QSC K12

Ponyboy

Here's the breakdown....been using the Axe solely through the effects loop of my Koch twintone 2 and was getting some good results but felt that the portability was an issue.

Rented a K12 from Cosmos here in Toronto and played around with a few sounds, downloaded a couple of great tones from user Voes (thanks for sharing ), went to the gig and the sound guy was a bit hesitant but took the out from the K12 straight to the mixer.

Well, with this minimal amount of prep. I began the night thinking I will be bringing the K12 back and sticking to the power amp /cab set up--WRONG! Much of the night I was marvelling at how such a simple set up could deliver such good quality guitar sounds. I mean I ripped through solos and soaring chords AND tore down in minutes and was home relaxing while my drummer was still on stage (poor sucker).

Aside from the portability, here's my tonal review:

*cleans that were rich, full, very responsive to eq (Best results)
*lead sounds that cut through the band (very loud band) and kept much of there tube like response
* dirty sounds-this is where I felt the poweramp/cab set up beat the FRFR-need to work on this one--some of the tones were fizzy and lost some of the shimmer/depth--could use help here...

Overall result...anyone wanna buy a Koch Twintone with 2x12 cabinet??

Anyways, I'm still new at this and would appreciate any wisdom you FRFRR professors could pass on--from tonal tricks to live set up :D

How does the K12 stand up for band practice, is it loud enough to get through bass/drums/other guitars?\

I am so close to nabbing one... Though I have been saying that for a while.

let me know if you figure out a good way to smooth out that harshness without affecting tone. i just picked one up and while its louder and tighter than my atomic fr, i think the atomic had a more natural sound

Nice review Pony boy. I'm thinking of getting a pair in the future so your review helps.

On your "dirty" tones, to help cut the "fizz" 2 things I do(YMMV).
First go to the advanced page on the amp and lower the High-cut Freq down to around 6800hz. 2nd thing is put a PEQ right after the cab and set your blocking low/high freq to taste. Scott's settings(120hz Q.707 Blocking-7100hz Q.707 Blocking) are a good starting point. I raise the "Q" higher on the 7100hz to add more if needed on the top end depending on the PA system.

Axisman5150 said:
Nice review Pony boy. I'm thinking of getting a pair in the future so your review helps.

On your "dirty" tones, to help cut the "fizz" 2 things I do(YMMV).
First go to the advanced page on the amp and lower the High-cut Freq down to around 6800hz. 2nd thing is put a PEQ right after the cab and set your blocking low/high freq to taste. Scott's settings(120hz Q.707 Blocking-7100hz Q.707 Blocking) are a good starting point. I raise the "Q" higher on the 7100hz to add more if needed on the top end depending on the PA system.

cant wait to try this out. also i just traded for an almost new axis supersport. havent run through my new setup because the jp6 is my priority. im excited to see what the axis has to offer

fatoni said:
cant wait to try this out. also i just traded for an almost new axis supersport. havent run through my new setup because the jp6 is my priority. im excited to see what the axis has to offer
Nice score! The Super Sport has different pickups than my Axis and IIRC yours has a 5 position switch so you could get more of that "strat/Tele" sound. It'll be different than the JP6 but in a good way.

Back
Top Bottom