First live gig - any tips?

I have my first live gig coming up next week. Taking my AxeFx 3 of course. I don't have an FC (waitlisted) - planning to use my MFC instead. I have my presets dialed in, and it sounds really good in my home setup.
I'm planning to use a guitar cab via Output1 for stage, and IRs via Output2 to the mixer.
I will have a backup of all my presets, and a laptop just in case to restore them. I was thinking I could also use the laptop to tweak presets if it comes down to that.
I would welcome any tips. Is it better to use an XLR, or the Fractal TRS cable for the mixer?

Thanks!

Play loud before you play loud and live? It'll be a surprise if you haven't turned it up to stage volumes yet.

XLR to the mixer if you're giving them a line for FOH.

Have you played it with the band yet? Be prepared to potentially adjust your EQ for the mix if not.

Be comfortable with using the front panel. Taking a laptop to your gig just for Axe Edit is a bit overkill.

Also, not really sure the post is relevant to Axe Fx III Recordings forum ;)

I have my first live gig coming up next week. Taking my AxeFx 3 of course. I don't have an FC (waitlisted) - planning to use my MFC instead. I have my presets dialed in, and it sounds really good in my home setup.
I'm planning to use a guitar cab via Output1 for stage, and IRs via Output2 to the mixer.
I will have a backup of all my presets, and a laptop just in case to restore them. I was thinking I could also use the laptop to tweak presets if it comes down to that.
I would welcome any tips. Is it better to use an XLR, or the Fractal TRS cable for the mixer?

Thanks!
Be ready to adjust the Global Graphic EQ for both outputs. Turning up loud will sound different than playing quietly at home, so you’ll probably have to reduce both lows and highs on the GEQ.

Thanks for the tips - I will try to bump up the volume as much as I can today and see how it sounds. I'll learn how to edit the cab block (for EQ), and the global EQ on the front panel. If someone can move this topic to General Discussion, that will be great, I couldn't figure out how to do it :)

Definitely try to play loud first with your band to see how it sounds and be familiar with the Global Output EQ. Had my first gig last week. Was both nervous and excited. But I had done my homework with the rig. Mainly getting practice time with it at gig volume with my band. Show went great.

Update: Axe Fx 3 performed flawlessly, my playing - not so much :)
I used my Boss ES-8 to control the unit, and had no problems at all. Way better than using my MFC-101 for sure. I found the ES8 to have a surprising level of capability under the hood - should easily carry me, until some distant day in the future, I get my FC.
Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback.

If you're more comfortable tweaking in Axe Edit, by all means take your laptop. I take mine anytime there's a new preset being used. If you have to make quick changes on the fly and under pressure, it can get frustrating and add more stress than necessary trying to navigate a system you're not as familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom