First impressions

jyflorida

Power User
My new Axe-FX II arrived this afternoon!! I was singularly impressed as to just how great it sounds. I've just gone through most of the presets & haven't tried to make my own yet. Are there any "blank" patch slots in there or do I need to overwrite the existing presets? I just saw the 3 banks of 128 each.

I haven't purchased a powered speaker yet so I'm running it through the FX loop of my cheapie Behringer KX1200 kb amp. Oddly enough, I tried a pair of headphones and it sounded a bit grainy. I also need to get a foot controller for it. I'm leaning towards either a Ground Control Pro or (if I can unload a couple more things) a Liquid Foot LF+ 12+. If the MFC is available within a week or two I may opt for that instead. Going through the Axe Editor I'm just blown away at the complexity and level of control you have with this.

At any rate, LOTS to learn!

Congratulations on your new Axe II! Glad you're enjoying it.

I have never thought headphones are an aesthetic way to listen to it. Just not enough of a room character IMO. I did find some Denon's that had more room character, but not really a replacement for hearing the authentic live sound. Also, FYI if you do go through headphones, and do not also allow the signal to go out through some speakers that your guitar pickups can "hear", you lose the subtle influence of the pickups feeding back, which I think is important. Additionally, more volume, obviously, helps this aspect too.

I'm using the Behrenger 1010 with the UNO, with its two foot controllers, but if I could afford the "official" foot controller in the MFC, I would. Its better to have that accurate visual feedback of what's going on with your effects, which the behringer doesn't make possible.

I think I'm going to ditch the phones. I tried it mainly out of curiosity. The Behringer - supposedly an FRFR system - does darken the tone of whatever is run through it, even the Pod when I had it.

I used to have a Behringer FCB several years back - tough unit but a bear to program. Ideally I'd like to go with the MFC but at the same time I'm really looking forward to using the Axe live & I don't know how long before it's in stock.

My new Axe-FX II arrived this afternoon!! I was singularly impressed as to just how great it sounds. I've just gone through most of the presets & haven't tried to make my own yet. Are there any "blank" patch slots in there or do I need to overwrite the existing presets? I just saw the 3 banks of 128 each.

Fractal has generously filled each of the 384 preset slots with a factory preset, so you have to overwrite one to store one of your own. You can always download the factory presets from the website if you decide to want them back. You can also save them to the Axe-II's internal backup ROM (see Axe-FX II manual page 149).

Using Axe-Manage in the editor makes it easy to backup, save and restore preset and banks on your computer, so you can overwrite to your heart's content.

I found that just deleting all the factory presets I had no use for left me more than enough room for my own presets, plus space to try out all the presets that get posted here or to Axe Change.

Hope this helps,

Danny W.

Very cool! As I went through the presets, I did some tweaking (didn't save anything) just to get some practice - the presets are good starting points to build your own tone on too.

Back
Top Bottom