First impressions of the Axe II and NEED HELP QUICK !!!!

in the global menu, make sure power amp modelling and cab modelling are both on

let us know what sort of tones you're after and we may be able to help with some suggestions

Thanks guys for comments and input, I hope this did not come across as bashing the Axe, I know it's an incredible unit and that's why I dropped 2.5K on it. I have already realized just from reading everybody's comments on this site and on GearPage that this will not be an overnight instant satisfaction type of deal. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions, I will take them to heart.

For some it is an instant revelation. Much of it will depend on your setup, and this will involve a learning curve. You'll have an 'aha' moment where you find what is not set up correctly.

You're not alone. Read through the reviews section and you'll find a pile of 'I'm not impressed' posts with people who (24 pages later) have learned enough and tinkered enough to have figured it out. Cliff and Co (and generous involvement of this board and it's members) have gone miles to make this as 'out of the box' ready to play. But it's still not a substitute for doing it yourself.

I'm also surprised that you didn't find one of the presets that didn't get close to your fancy. With most people, in a pinch you can find 2 or three that are virtually gig ready.

I've no experience with your Atomic, but I would also say that headphones are definitely NOT an indication (I have high end ones, and for the most part my patches sound like crap...brittle for some, boomy on others.) It sounds COMPLETELY different through my FRFR rig, and again different on my Studio reference monitors....each one would require tweaking.

For the last part, like any amp, it will sound different at bedroom volumes vs. gig volume. I have separate presets for each.

Good luck.

Idea - How about amp/cab presets for 3 basic guitar types, 3 guitar "voice" types, 3 pickup output types.

There's always exceptions, but amp/cab matching falls into basic categories, the same can apply to matching user guitars to factory presets, which as we know, isn't straightforward.

However, if a user could download factory amp/cab presets for a basic guitar type, voice and output similar to their own, it would diminish the plug-and-play problem.

Example: you play a bright Strat w low output pickups, or a dark/meaty LP or PRS with high output pickups, etc, you download the preset pack for your basic guitar type, voice and output.

Yes, it's a lot of presets, but I could see that being very handy for all users.

Why is a preset awesome out of the box? It may have been dialed with a similar guitar. The opposite is true: how many have slobbered over a clip, download, and have s***-tone with their axe? Beyond player dynamics, I'm betting it's the difference in guitars.

Make your own preset. Choose an amp you are familiar with and an appropriate cab. Don't use any effects to start. Just learn the Amp and Cab block.

I would add to this: only use the Basic page of the AMP block and in the CAB block use a MIX IR (anything between IR 75 and 118 ) with NO mic.

Last edited:
FWIW, when I received my Axe II I actually went through every one of the presets. Some I liked, some I didn't. One thing I would say about the presets is that you have to be willing to make some basic adjustments just like you would an amp. Volume, Treble, Bass etc. Changing the Cab IR's also makes a huge difference in tone & sound. Be sure to adjust the "Room" in the Cab block if you are using headphones. Shunt or bypass some of the effects like Chorus, Flanger etc. to dial in your tone first. These are simple adjustments that make a huge difference. Take some time to navigate through the menus, twist some knobs & above all have fun. It will be well worth it.

Totally agree on the idea that the Axe-Fx II takes some patience. Stick with it and you'll get amazing results. As someone who owns both the Axe-Fx II and the Kemper, I may suggest you think about it as the difference in going to a great restaurant and ordering a really good meal (Kemper) or owning the worlds best chef's kitchen and a pantry stocked with a zillion of the highest quality ingredients available (Axe-Fx II).

Find some presets you like on Axe Change and start tweaking them to your liking. You'll make some mistakes along the way, but soon enough you'll learn what flavors you like to personally add to the recipe. Example: I have a preset based on a Bludotone that came from someone else originally. I've tweaked it now to the point for my guitars and playing style that it just amazes me every time I call it up.

OP: Wow... at least you're honest. But, TBH, you clearly already know the answer even if it is not what you want to hear... No matter what gear you go with you are going to have to work through your ADD and instant gratification issues if you are going to insist on being super particular wrt tone.

Idea - How about amp/cab presets for 3 basic guitar types, 3 guitar "voice" types, 3 pickup output types.

There's always exceptions, but amp/cab matching falls into basic categories, the same can apply to matching user guitars to factory presets, which as we know, isn't straightforward.

However, if a user could download factory amp/cab presets for a basic guitar type, voice and output similar to their own, it would diminish the plug-and-play problem.

Example: you play a bright Strat w low output pickups, or a dark/meaty LP or PRS with high output pickups, etc, you download the preset pack for your basic guitar type, voice and output.

Yes, it's a lot of presets, but I could see that being very handy for all users.

Why is a preset awesome out of the box? It may have been dialed with a similar guitar. The opposite is true: how many have slobbered over a clip, download, and have s***-tone with their axe? Beyond player dynamics, I'm betting it's the difference in guitars.

Amen to that brother. I have a slew of guitars with all sorts of different pickups, this just adds to the learning curve :)

Count me among those who were underwhelmed when I got the unit and flipped through the presets. "It's good," I said, "but I don't know if it is $2500 good". Once I started making my own patches I moved right on over to "oh my god, this is the best thing ever!"

Not tweaking this unit is like going in to Guitar Center and trying a whole lot of amps without touching the knobs. :)

Have fun!

For some it is an instant revelation. Much of it will depend on your setup, and this will involve a learning curve. You'll have an 'aha' moment where you find what is not set up correctly.

You're not alone. Read through the reviews section and you'll find a pile of 'I'm not impressed' posts with people who (24 pages later) have learned enough and tinkered enough to have figured it out. Cliff and Co (and generous involvement of this board and it's members) have gone miles to make this as 'out of the box' ready to play. But it's still not a substitute for doing it yourself.

I'm also surprised that you didn't find one of the presets that didn't get close to your fancy. With most people, in a pinch you can find 2 or three that are virtually gig ready.

I've no experience with your Atomic, but I would also say that headphones are definitely NOT an indication (I have high end ones, and for the most part my patches sound like crap...brittle for some, boomy on others.) It sounds COMPLETELY different through my FRFR rig, and again different on my Studio reference monitors....each one would require tweaking.

For the last part, like any amp, it will sound different at bedroom volumes vs. gig volume. I have separate presets for each.

Good luck.

I only had a couple hours to spend with the unit....I probably should have waited at least a few days before posting anything. I will report back soon! Gonna play with it tonight. I already learned quite a bit today.

Count me among those who were underwhelmed when I got the unit and flipped through the presets. "It's good," I said, "but I don't know if it is $2500 good". Once I started making my own patches I moved right on over to "oh my god, this is the best thing ever!"

Not tweaking this unit is like going in to Guitar Center and trying a whole lot of amps without touching the knobs. :)

Have fun!

Thanks that is inspiring to hear !!!!

I recommend starting with a blank preset.

Add a Marshall Plexi 100 Amp block and one Cab block with the Basketweave Mix IR loaded, Mic set to none.

Work with just this until you get an inspiring tone.

What this will do is let you dial in all the input settings etc. while keeping the Amp and Cab simple.

With these two blocks alone, you should be able to get a draw dropping realistic sounding and playing preset. It really is like playing a great Marshall amp.

Hi all, I just received my brand spanking new Axe FX II yesterday. Unboxed it, turned it on, plugged it into my Atomic 50W Reactor and started dialing through the tones. Firmware v12. Gotta say, first impressions were lackluster to say the least. Plugged in some high end headphones and had the same reaction. I was expecting way more tone wise out of the box than what I was hearing. Keep in mind I've been playing with a Kemper for the past few months (don't hate me) and before that a Boss GT-100; it wasn't until I loaded Glenn DeLaune's patches (for the GT-100) that the thing came to life. Same thing for Kemper; it wasn't until I loaded the third party TAF & Soundside profiles that the Kemper really started to shine and blow me away. I have researched this unit for about 2 years and knew the learning curve was steep so I'm not really surprised that I'm not blown away straight out the gate. I had a similar reaction to my Boss GT-100; but to be quite honest I found the tones straight out of the box better on the GT-100 than the Axe which I find very strange. I would have expected a unit of this caliber & reputation to blow my socks off right out of the gate. We are talking $2500 vs a GT-100 that cost me $350 used. Obviously they are apples and oranges so let's not go there...I'm just trying to illustrate the "out of the box goodness" if you know what I mean. I was impressed with the clean tones from the Fender/Vox amps however; but I couldn't find one searing blistering high gain tone which is just bizarre.

So, this is why I'm here. I just dropped almost 2K on a Kemper a few months ago and have been enjoying it immensely. But the tones I have been chasing I often find in the Axe FX videos...so I got the Axe II. I would really appreciate any comments and suggestions that would quickly get me up to speed on the Axe and to start coaxing the killer tones that this piece of gear is known for. Where should I start other than the obvious which is to read the manual? Any great tutorials anywhere? I only joined this forum a few weeks ago; like some other buyers, I did not entrench myself in the forums for years listening to people's issues with the unit, I just went out and got it after watching numerous videos and reading numerous reviews on the Axe.

I generally am not a patient person so I'm willing to tame my initial reaction to the unit in hopes that you guys can help me out and make me bring this unit to life and give it the raving review that I'm sure it deserves. I can tell that it's a ridiculously powerful unit; extremely pro-level and might even be too much for me....time will tell.

Thanks in advance!

I have found that just about every guitar processor I have bought or tried has terrible presets. I just don't understand why these company's would not pay someone like myself or another guitarist who had great expirence in developing presets. That being said I also have a GT10 that I have managed to create some really great sounding user presets. I have spent many hours working to clone other musicians sounds and also work to create what I call my own. I know you just want to turn the Axe on and have it sound fantastic but remember everyone's expectations of what sounds great is different. Now this in my opinion is what you really need to do.
Start from scratch on a preset and work real hard to develop the tone you seek. First consider the type of amp you want research amps if you have to. Once you get the amp you want start working towards finding the cab that sounds perfect with the amp you have chosen and just seems to sound good to your ears. From there work on the amp settings to get the correct amount of drive and other settings your after. After you have built a good sounding amp and cab work towards adding some effects and what ever else you like. You might want to also develop a good clean tone by setting an amp on your x/y amp block. I know this will take some work and time but if you ever want to use this device to its potential you must apply the time and effort. This effort will help you in using any device like this instead of relying on someone eleses hard work. If you don't have time and just wont put in the effort then go ahead and download a preset from the group finding one close to what you like. From there you can start fine tuning the present to more match your tone and style. I wish you the best but hope you device to develop the tone yourself. Good luck and enjoy this fabulous machine.

I have found that just about every guitar processor I have bought or tried has terrible presets. I just don't understand why these company's would not pay someone like myself or another guitarist who had great expirence in developing presets.

well convince us by posting some killer presets! ;)

kinda answered your own question there.

That is why there are so many presets, all the would have to do is fill the presets with tones that are close to some of the most popular guitarists, such as Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Vai, Satch, etc. This would at least make it seem like an expensive unit when first tested by the purchaser has some great sounds in it. This is what I was trying to say I really didn't have any questions just trying to help out a user who did not like the way the Axe FX sounded coming out of the box. I think most would agree it would be nicer to have presets that sounded a bit better then the ones that are pre configured and this goes for all guitar pedals i have ever tried out. This is simply my opinion so if you don't agree that is OK.

FWIW, I was extremely underwhelmed when I first plugged in my Axe II (though it was many firmwares ago). Took me a while to learn to use it (I'm still learning!), but once I started to get the hang of it, I've gotten such great tones out of it - no buyer's remorse here. I can't even list the things I had to 'tweak' or learn how to use/connect - it's just a matte of learning, rolling up your sleeves, and digging in. It's a tweaker's paradise - lol

I think most would agree it would be nicer to have presets that sounded a bit better then the ones that are pre configured and this goes for all guitar pedals i have ever tried out. This is simply my opinion so if you don't agree that is OK.

i completely understand what you mean and recognize you are helping.

i'm not sure having "someone else" make factory presets is the solution though, since expectations of what sound great are different. to some, the factory presets sound great. to others they don't.

i'm sure if you created the factory presets, or anyone else for that matter, some would think they sound great and others wouldn't. so we're back at square one.

Back
Top Bottom