First gig for Axe-Fx III

hippietim

Axe-Master
But it wasn't mine.

I went up to NY this past weekend to play a gig with an old friend whose brother is retiring and was having a big blowout with a number of bands and jams. I brought up my AX8 and CLR. I was going to bring my III but I didn't really have a lot of room since I had to bring bass gear as well.

I did my first set with my AX8 and thought it sounded damn good. Got compliments on tone and a few people wondering why I was standing on the opposite side of the stage from where the amps were :)

The next band started setting up and I noticed the guitar player had an Axe-FX III. As it turns out, it was forum member @Justmc. He was using the MC6 and a pair of Xitone monitors. The guitars were all running through FOH as well. His band did a kick ass set of classic hard rock and old school metal - Zeppelin, AC/DC, and some surprises like Loudness. His tone and playing were great. It was really cool to witness the Axe III from the audience perspective. It sounded killer. There were a couple other half stack rigs there - Soldano and Boogie - and the Fractal boxes had no problem hanging with the big boys.

During teardown, I was reminded how nice it was to not haul around a 4x12 and some 75lb amp head but knowing I could still get the tones.

What an awesome night .

Not only was I pleasantly surprised with my new AxeFx III on it's maiden voyage, but to have another Fractal user and forum member at the same gig really was the icing on the cake. I do this party every year and usually bring my Marshall DSL and Carvin 2x12 cabinet. Was itching to test out the new Axefx so I got a Morningstar MC6 a few days earlier, made up a custom midi cable, a few presets and scenes using my EV-2 as a wah and I was ready to go . Was very self conscious about how the sound was perceived and at once felt relieved when a fellow user's ear was in the crowd giving positive feedback .

Want to thank @hippietim for a great gig and sharing his expertise and knowledge with me. As usual the Fractal community is top notch. So glad to be part of the journey.

Can you hook in the Fractal FX easy to a PA system? I love the light portable size and no back crushing weight of hauling heavier tube amps and cabs around to gigs.

Can you hook in the Fractal FX easy to a PA system? I love the light portable size and no back crushing weight of hauling heavier tube amps and cabs around to gigs.
I'd suggest you download and read the manual. It won't take long and will answer many of your questions.

The simple answer here is "yes". Plug an XLR (or 2) cable from the Axe Fx into the mixer (set for line level with flat EQ) and you're good to go. You could also use a standard TS instrument cable...

Yeah I did read parts of it but since I don't own one yet probably need to find a way to get my hands on one well at least the last version FX 2 anyhow to see how it compares to my Kemper experience which I found to be the most obtuse piece of guitar FX hardware ever. Hopefully the Fractal has a more user friendly interface and better sounds and amp models than the Kemper.

Back
Top Bottom