First Fractal - FM9 would work, but temped to go for flagship

If you are planning to use your Fractal as a home studio tool and don't gig too often, I have found the Axe Fx III Turbo is the way to go. You can always add the FC12 later. I'm my case I have a AFXIII Turbo for my home studio and use an older FM3 for gigs. I find when playing live I don't go too crazy with effects and pitch shifting so the FM3 works well.

I have both an FM9 and a III. I started with the III, and that's also what I'd recommend in this case. I decided that if I was going to spend the money, I'd get the one that had the best chance of still being useful to me years later. The III has the most room for me to grow, and it's what I primarily use. I also got the 3 year warranty, for the same reason. I gigged with the III for years in a rack case, in the loop of my amp. Now that I have the FM9, the III is racked in my studio.

You can't go wrong with either, but I'd favor the III. Better to have room to grow and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The flagship is a flagship for a reason. As much as I love the FM9, there is just far more flexibility with the extra I/O options, both live and in the studio. This is especially useful for reamping, recording DI, patching in traditional Pedals etc etc.

As for your fuzzes, I've been programming Dweezil Zappa's Rigs for years and the amount of Fuzzes he uses in his rig is pretty incredible. If the AxeFX3 passes his discerning taste, I'm sure you'll be very happy.

As for your fuzzes, I've been programming Dweezil Zappa's Rigs for years and the amount of Fuzzes he uses in his rig is pretty incredible. If the AxeFX3 passes his discerning taste, I'm sure you'll be very happy.
Thread tangent: I would be highly interested in the kinds of variations you get in the fuzzes, as that's one of the few pedal types I still buy.

Hmmm. Back in the day there wasn’t the fm9 but I was dreaming to have an axe 3 in a pedal board format.
But I don’t regret the axe 3 + fc12 combo. Also the fm9 don’t have the same spec than the 3 so no regrets. But yeah for gigs a Pedalboard only is cool.

OP, after lugging around the Axe Ultra\Axe II, amp, etc in a heavy rack case, switched to the FM3 and its night and day. Sure, the Axe III has a lot more options, but I make it all work with the FM3

In the current iterations I went Axe III, down to FM3 and back to Turbo.

Flagship all the way, FM3 was great but the frequency of updates and also not worrying about CPU (even just at home) swung it.

No regrets at all

III unless you need/want a light, floor-based rig.
In the latter case, 9 if you need the switches or horsepower, 3 if you're a relatively simple routing kinda' guy.

Back
Top Bottom