First contact - Atomic Reactor FR content

Joe

Hi,

some of you might know that I'm the support-guy for G66. I'm trying to help the european customers when they need help with their Axe-Fx. G66 is also the european distributor for Atomic Amplification for several years now.

Got my first Axe-Fx (a Standard) about two and a half years ago, later followed by an Ultra. Since day one I was playing my Axe with a pair of the Atomic Reactor 50 Watts/1x12 or a pair of the Reactor 2x12 when the venues called for them.

When I heard that Fractal Audio Systems and Atomic Amplifiers joined forces to develop a powered monitor to get the best tones from the Axe-FX and when the first rumors of the Atomic Reactor FR came up I started to go all tingly because to me this seems to be the perfect solution for the Axe-Fx. With my bands and projects going FRFR is a benefit because I'm able to use all the fantastic features the Axe-Fx offers. Of course I was able to dial in some great sounds with the (old) Reactors for my blues rock band, or the cover band, but on the other hand I'm also playing in a band with an unplugged set and there's a Pink Floyd-project where we all are going direct.

Everything was fine, I really enjoyed the (old) Atomics but I also loved the variety I got when I went completely FRFR. To me it's like this: if you want or need very different tones this is the way to go because a full range flat response system will sound more realistic if you want to use/offer very different amps/cabs combinations - (to me) it will sound more realistic if you need, say, a small Fender combo tone followed by a huge marshall sound. Try this with a traditional guitar cab: your tones would be more colored when you are using such a traditional guitar cab - it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get a 4x12" cab sound like an 1x10" combo. With FRFR you can get all these sounds and they all sound "real" thanks to Cliff's marvelous algorithms.

For blues and rock I never had problems to get the sound I wanted from the non FR Atomics. But for instance I had to program extra presets for the Pink Floyd project and so on. Different presets for different situations, I had Atomic presets, unplugged presets and FR presets. And when I tweaked a preset with the cover band, which I also used (with FR changes) on the Pink Floyd project, I had to tweak this one too.

So it was clear to me, that for me going FR all the time would be very useful. I want one setup (and a backup) that works for all my stuff. I'm also playing in a ZZ Top tribute band and all I need here is one or two sounds. I could use my Marshall halfstack, but I want to use the Axe (and always did), because it sounds great, with no hassle, I have the complete control on everything, the wireless sits in the same rack and so on. Just plug in and play and it sounds great. And if I need some EQ because of the room I have it just here, I have everything I need. And with every project/band I'm using the same setup.

Last week Tom (King, President of Atomic Amplifiers) sent a first pair of the brandnew ATOMIC REACTOR FR to G66. I got them a few days ago and now they sit on top of the older Reactors in my band's room.

I know, without a pic it didn't happen:

atomic_reactor_fr.jpg

And I have to tell you, that I'm really, really enjoying them a lot. I gave them a go with electric and acoustic guitars, compared them with my high-end powered monitors and though they are brandnew (the speakers still need to break in a little more) and also new to me (the Reactor FR is a different animal compared to the older Reactor) I'm sure that the Reactor FRs are a great deal for a lot of Axe-Fx users.

I played a complete rehearsal with the unplugged band and I got some fantastic tones from my B-Band equipped acoustic with the Ultra and the Reactor FR.

I know there are folks who are absolutely happy with their power amp and favorite guitar cab and I don't want to talk them into the Reactor FR - if I were only in one band and in need of only a few sounds which can be achieved with the same cab I would perhaps use the VHT power amp with my 4x12" - but everyone who thinks that going FR might be a good idea should give them a go. To me they are a bang for the buck.

And now I'm off to give them a whirl with the electric band.

If this were Star Trek, I'd say that after first contact I'm already assimilated to the Fractal Audio Systems / Atomic Amplification collective. Resistance is futile! ;)

In a more romantic style one could also say that I think I fell in love with those beautiful twins after the first date.

Thanks to Tom and Cliff for making life as a guitarist better every day.

Cheers

Jochen

You're missing 1 vital piece of info: What's the retail cost per unit? There's been a lot of speculation...

Man this post is like dangling candy in front of a kid! I predict sales are going to go up in this product while we all wait to get our FR's:

box-thinStrips-lg.jpg

Relieves GAS FAST! :lol:

Hmmm... I'm on the list in the USA... I dont' see any mail from Tom King in my mailbox yet!!! :x
Just kidding Tom! But let's go, I fit the "needs" to a T here. FWIW, I'll be using the Fractal FRFR with a Digitech RP1000 and Tech21 Liverpool Character pedal until I can snag another AxeFX Standard so I can give some feedback as to how they work with "other gear" :roll:

Gasp100 said:
Hmmm... I'm on the list in the USA... I dont' see any mail from Tom King in my mailbox yet!!! :x
Just kidding Tom! But let's go, I fit the "needs" to a T here. FWIW, I'll be using the Fractal FRFR with a Digitech RP1000 and Tech21 Liverpool Character pedal until I can snag another AxeFX Standard so I can give some feedback as to how they work with "other gear" :roll:
FYI, these specific units went to G66 so they could confirm their order. They were air shipped before production was complete.

The Reactor FR has tested great with all the modeling products out there including those mentioned above. Also to answer a question from an earlier post, turning the tweeter level control down does make it sound more like one of the legacy Reactor amps - actually a little better since the systems is more linear across the spectrum.

-TK

Very nice... I hope they sound as good as they look. I like the grill cloth they used it reminds me of the Badcat 412 cab I used to have, very classy. :cool:

Most important to me - and I guess a lot of others:

Do they actually sound like a real amp?

I know thats not the main pont - but for a fair % of us, finding a solution that sounds and behaves like a real amp but with the ability to use the cab sims for more acurate "modelling" of certain sounds is the grail. Its what is NOT currently available in FRFR solutions without paying many times the price of the Atomic.

The QSCs, RCFs, FBTs etc just dont do that.

I´m waiting for the new reactor. There will be one question for me: Now I´m playing SS-amp and cab, sure that means a new tweaking. When I tweak the axe by ear I´m standing a certain distance away from the reactor and hear the combination of the tweeter and the speaker. What do you mean. Connected to a professional PA, set to neutral, by XLR: shall I hear the same sound there like in front of the reactor? Nobbi.

Back
Top Bottom