First Axe recording (rough scratch guitar content)

thadood

http://msburning.com/jesus/Pirates.mp3

The guitars are scratch, but Axe. The bass is axe, as well, but it's staying in the mix. I put white noise into it because the band requested a song to give out to some possible new guitarists to learn, and, seeing as I'm just a guy with some mics, I've been ripped off before by doing this.

Setup was 808 mod drive, JCM800, V30 cab with a very light touch of verb.

My only problem is that cymbals are just too loud after 0:10. Can't really hear the guitars.

aftec said:
My only problem is that cymbals are just too loud after 0:10. Can't really hear the guitars.

Tell me about it. After tracking the guitars yesterday, I had to get rid of it. I turned the OH's down a considerable amount, and dropped the smashed room mic a lot lower into the drum mix, as well. It's a lot more balanced.

I can't give you exact settings since I'm nowhere near my axe now, but the chain was:
TS808 Mod -> JCM800 -> Reverb -> V30 Cab

The guitars for the final mix aren't going to be done with the AFX (band wants to use their amps), but there will be a few spots that will use it, namely for their slightly gritty clean tones. I'm thinking AC30 for that.

Back
Top Bottom