First Axe FX Recording - Metal Clip. Look out for a usable fake bass tone!

greyanaroth

Inspired
Hey everyone!

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14629771/Axe Fx Tone Test with Fake Bass - MIXED.mp3

(I'm new to dropbox, so let me know if that link works or not!)

I was fiddling with my new ultra (which is now apparently defunkt thanks to the axe fx 2!!) and thought I'd try out a quick test to see how it would do in a mix! Notably, I also got a VERY usable fake bass sound, which if anyone wants, I'll put up the tone!

Notes:

1. Guitar - Schecter Blackjack C-7 with Bareknuckle Cold Sweats (bridge for rhythm, coil tapped for fake bass)
2. Interface - Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (non dsp)
3. DI - BSS AR133
4. Drums - Superior Metal Foundry
5. Cabs - Guitarhack Fredman 45 & Redwirez ENGL V30
6. Amp Sims - Euro Uber & Recto New, two tracks of each, each panned hard left & right, at more or less the same gain.

There's some minor EQing on the tracks in post, some cuts and boosts here and there, nothing major. A tape saturator on the guitars group. The master chain is quite involved, with multiband, eq and tape saturation, and probably a bit of stereo widening as well (which drastically affects the tone!)

The drums are somewhat mixed, although I'm not particularly happy with the sound, especially the overheads. But they give a fair idea of how the guitars are doing in the mix. I've also included just the fake bass and the drums separately for perspective. More than the guitars, I was REALLY impressed with what the unit did with the bass! The pitch shift module does add a slight latency, but if that means I don't have to go hunting for a nice bass everytime I want to put down an idea, win win for me!

I had set it up so I monitor the DI signal going through the sound card into the rear inputs of the axe, so when reamping, I don't have to fiddle with levels and stuff! Just run the track back through the same channel, and I'm set! Pretty neat!

Lemme know what you guys think! Brickbats are most welcome :)

EDIT: Link corrected!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom